Forget free wireless; this hotel doesn't have wireless at all! They do have a broadband connection available in the room, but it is wired and quite pricey at $26.95 per day! If you don't want to pay that much for internet service, you'll be happy to know that the hotel proudly announces that dial-up internet service is available and billed at their phone rates - $1.00 if it's a local call, or much, much more if it's not. Seriously? No wireless in 2011? This is the only hotel I've stayed at in years that doesn't offer wireless.
Forgot your toothpaste? Well, not a problem...as long as you don't mind spending $7 for a miniature replacement out of the mini bar! Yes, even discount motel chains provide free toothpaste to guests who have forgotten it, but the Majestic doesn't...
The room itself looked quite nice on the surface, but the stylish bath opening into the bedroom was less appealing when my partner had to get up early for work and I wanted to sleep. The light shines right through the window onto the bed where I was sleeping, meaning my day started much earlier than I would have liked.
Of course, I couldn't sleep all that well to start with as the pillows on the bed were well past their prime and had become quite hard with age and overuse. I think they were once perhaps fluffy poly fiberfill, but that was years ago, and the ones on our bed were lumpy and hard. At a price point that rivaled that of a nice hotel in Paris or London, I was surprised to find such poor quality bedding.
Soundproofing to the exterior was adequate for sleep with earplugs. The hall posed more of a problem, and the close to 2-inch gap between the bottom of our door and the floor did not help with that issue.
Then there's cleanliness, or the lack of it. Hair on the back of the toilet always makes me cringe a bit. I did appreciate that the duvet cover was white sheeting and looks as if it is probably washed between guests - or at least I hope so!
All in all, we'll be staying elsewhere when we next return to Adelaide. I really can't understand why this hotel is rated so highly on TripAdvisor.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Majestic Roof Garden Hotel is the award winning four-and-a-half (4.5) star flagship property of Majestic Hotels. Opened in Adelaide in 2004 and awarded the Best Value Hotel in 2009, it has been created with the discerning traveller in mind and despite its upmarket appearance, provides great deals on accommodation. Location is key. This Adelaide hotel is only 50 metres from the ever-vibrant Rundle Street with its huge variety of bars, restaurants and eclectic shopping. Walk 5 minutes to Rundle Mall or 10 minutes to the Art Gallery, Adelaide University and Museum. 20 minutes will find you at the Adelaide Convention Centre, National Wine Museum or Adelaide Zoo. All 120 rooms feature modern bathrooms, king size beds, full mini-bar, 24-hour room service and in-room broadband. Plus all the usual conveniences you would expect from a 4.5 star hotel such as 24-hour reception, security card access, business centre, mini-gymnasium, outstanding in-house restaurant and on-site secure parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Agoda, Travelocity, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Majestic Roof Garden Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Majestic Roof Garden Adelaide
- Hotel Majestic Roof Garden