“A Good Experience in a Great Location!”

Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Currie
Ranked #17 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Sydney, Australia
“A Good Experience in a Great Location!”
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I read all of the reviews posted here, so, I knew roughly what to expect. What I think is important is that people come with some realistic expectations. If you're looking for a modern and sleek hotel or a five star hotel, then you might want to look elsewhere. If you're looking for a pretty comfortable and QUIET room in a very CENTRAL location, then, it's an option worth considering.

ROOM: Even though I was travelling on my own, the cheapest room was the Deluxe Twin Room with two Queen-size beds. It was quite a spacious and clean room. Yes, the TV was a bulky old TV, which I believe they are changing, but, there were the usual free-to-air TV channels (no free digital TV channels in my room - no big loss to me at all), as well as, some Foxtel channels including SkyNews, two movie channels (although, only one was available to me - once again, no big deal), Discovery channel, and three sports channels. I'm aware that in some rooms, there was a microwave, but mine did not have one. The view was not so great (it was looking at an alley way), but, to be honest, I couldn't have cared less, as looking at the view was not my purpose in Adelaide. The bathroom was clean (it's a bath/shower combination with the toilet behind the door), the beds were pretty comfortable, and the room itself had space for hanging your clothes, plus plenty of drawers. For such a central location, I couldn't hear any noise at all, which was fantastic! The hotel information book was quite comprehensive, which was appreciated. If I could make a few minor suggestions, I would recommend listing the price for the internet charges into the information book. Also, as I had chosen not to have my room cleaned daily, I think it would have been good to have restocked the shampoo, conditioner, soap and spare toilet roll, instead of just cleaning the room and replacing the towels. These are both minor points that could have been raised with Reception, but, as mentioned, it's very minor and nothing I was disappointed or having major gripes with.

LOCATION: As I was not driving, staying in a central location was really important. Although I had looked at Google Maps, I didn't actually realise just how close the hotel was to Rundle Mall. You only had to turn the corner (next door was the transport information centre, which was really helpful for any transport enquiries), walk straight a little bit and turn right (you couldn't miss Haigh's Chocolates!), and there you were! North Terrace was under ten minutes away for the State Library, Museum, Art Gallery, etc., and Central Markets and Chinatown were about ten minutes walk away in the opposite direction. For the location alone, I would definitely return back to the hotel!

TRANSPORT: I caught the J1 bus (and the J2 bus on the return trip to the Airport - the bus stop is across the road from the hotel - just look for the right bus stop, but the signs are very clear) from the Airport and was a bit nervous about missing the bus stop, and needing to backtrack. But, I was happy to see that the bus stop (which is right outside the hotel) was one of the main ones in the city centre, so, a lot of people got off the bus at the same time. While Currie Street is quite long, just keep an eye out for 'Hotel Grand Chancellor', and you'll know where to stop (on the other side of the road is Hudsons Coffee, if that's of any help). Be aware that the actual hotel entrance is just around the corner. Just before you enter into Rundle Mall, you'll see the tram stop there which is free if you're travelling within the city centre, but, for $2.90, I purchased a two-hour ticket for Glenelg from the conductor who started going up and down the tram from South Terrace onwards. The free bus (#99C) does not travel along Currie Street, but if you head out to North Terrace (not far away at all), you can catch the bus from there.

SERVICES & FACILITIES: As I arrived quite early into Adelaide, I was only expecting to drop off luggage and then, check-in later in the afternoon, but, my room was already available, which was great, so, I could put away all my things and then, head off. Having an unexpected early check-in was really appreciated (I have a feeling that I arrived on a not-so-busy day because during the following days, I saw that bookings on their website were very limited). Also, on my return, I was able to store my luggage too.

FACILITIES I DID NOT USE (and hence, can't comment on): Parking, internet, dining at the restaurant, gym or swimming pool.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank breath-of-life

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
nz
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Comfortable room and a good restaurant with quick service and which opens early. Very quick and easy check out. So it's good for business travellers.

Only negative is the entrance itself, which isn't readily visible from street level, which makes the hotel hard to find for an out-of-towner like me. So it needs a more distinctive entrance and street sign.

Didn't have time to try the pool or gym so can't comment. The TV in the room was a bit old. A decent LCD screen and a wider range of TV channels including pay per view would be good.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the main street are still quiet.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank p c
Adelaide
Reviewed October 2, 2011

We spent 1 night and found the hotel to be lovely and quiet. It is in a great location in the centre of Adelaide where you can walk everywhere. The car park is off site and is a ten minute walk, ok if it's not raining. After booking in, our room was still being cleaned but staff were very friendly and finished cleaning our room straight away. Our room was large with a large bathroom with a bath and a good selection of 5 current magazines for guests. The downside was part of the room is showing its age with the curtains having holes in them, dirty windows, the wardrobe looking worn and an old tv. It is a good hotel with people traveling as the room had a microwave + there is also a guest laundry, even though there is a restaurant they don't offer room service. The hotel is just around the corner from the 24 hour pancake kitchen. The small gym had 3 machines in it with one broken. The pool was just warm enough to get in if you were brave enough and needed a good coat of paint. The spa on the other hand was lovely and hot.

Room Tip: We did a daily deal so it was good value, wouldn't pay full price!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 27, 2011

We had stayed here 5 years and decided to return but was very disppointed with the 4 star hotel.Our room had an old television with no free channels even our hotel in Horsham had new LCD scenes.
The pool was very disappointing and run down needs to be painted again, the gym had an old tread mill that was broken no rush to be fixed........
The information booklet had wrong information car park was cheaper in the book and the booklet said there was a 10 meter pool more like a 5 meter plug pool, maybe in their other hotel in the next street.
The only good thing thank god I didnt pay full rate for this 4 star hotel!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Currie, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Dear Sophie h

Greetings from Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Currie.

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Currie. We value the constructive feedback that we receive from our guests by expressing their opinions both positive and negative.

I have noted your comments regarding the TV's and this is something that we are currently in the process of upgrading with 50% of the hotel already completed. I apologise for the incorrect information you read in our hotel compendium, however the prices have only just increased, and again, this is something we are in the process of updating.

With regards to our gymnasium equipment, this has been sent out to be fixed and will be returned to us shortly. We are also in the process of receiving quotes to refurbish our pool area.

Again, thank you for your feedback, should you wish please advise the hotel of your contact details and I would be happy to discuss this further with you.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights in late August 2011. Our flight was delayed resulting in a very late arrival to the hotel where we were greeted by friendly staff. We were able to find a restaurant open for dinner - J Restaurant on Grote Street - where we were served scrumptious food. The hotel is in a great, central location near many bars, cafes and restaurants, Rundle Mall, Adelaide Central Markets and it's only a short walk to the river. There is public transport close by and we hired bikes (for free - but take ID) from the Adelaide City Council. We had a deluxe room which was very comfortable with a large bed, tv and comfy seats to lounge in after exploring the city and it came with a large bathroom (for hotel standards). Staff servicing the room were friendly and helpful. We didn't eat in the restaurant which appeared busy by hotel and non-hotel patrons. Adelaide was a great visit and our experience at Hotel Grand Chancellor on Currie brilliant. This hotel will be my first choice when visiting Adealide again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Currie, responded to this review, September 25, 2011
Dear Jacqstar

Greetings from Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Currie.

It is always a pleasure to read when our guests have enjoyed their stay by commending the staff and hotel services. It is our continual mission to anticipate and exceed the expectations of our guests.

I was also pleased to read that your time in Adelaide was enjoyable.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Currie in the near future.

NZ
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Really enjoyed our stay here.
The room and the bathroom were spacious and although it is on a busy street it wasn't noisy.
The carparking is a few minutes away though, wasn't an issue, may have been if we had rain.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carol D
Dear Carolina4

Greetings from Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Currie.

It is always a pleasure to read when our guests have enjoyed their stay, again thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Currie in the near future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 19, 2011

A centrally located hotel with everthing you need but decor and fittings are tired. Helpful staff and prompt service.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Currie, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Dear Tminperth

Greetings from Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Currie.

I have taken onboard your comments regarding the decor and fittings and will discuss this with my management team. It is our continual mission to anticipate and exceed the expectations of our guests.

Again, thank you for your feedback.