Our stay did not start off too great at this hotel. Without wanting to say too much, the laneway next to the hotel (where the carparking is) was blocked of by police as it was a crime scene. Now please note, that (once we found out why) our safety was never at risk, nor did we ever feel unsafe.
Anyway, while this commotion was going on, I was trying to check in. The girl at the desk checking me in was easily the worst staff member we encountered. She was on the phone the whole time while checking me in, and barely said a word to me. She palmed me off to another staff member in the middle of checking in, who I am pleased to say was much friendlier and more helpful.
The actual building is fairly modern in design, but is very worn. The hallway where our room was had lots of patch marks, and everything just seemed very worn down.
This also continued into our 2 bedroom apt. Scratches/dents on the wall, broken furniture, the couch had tears and holes in it, and a couple of the blinds were jammed so they wouldn't go down (a problem seemingly not confined to our room, as friends in another room reported). The marble top coffee table was not stuck down, so if you tried to move it (like we did to make room for the rollaway) the top came off. Rusted blind cords, and chipped tiles in the bathroom. I am really not a fussy person but all of these little things compound into something you really cannot ignore.
I had volunteered to sleep on a rollaway in the lounge/dining/kitchen area. Firsly the rollaway was one of the most comfortable I had ever seen. It was practically the same size as a single bed and seemed to have a proper matress on it.
However as our apt was at the back of the hotel (facing Hindley St) I could hear the noise from the clubs on the Fri/Sat night we were there. My travel companions reported hearing no noise in their bedrooms, so it is probably only in the lounge area- something to be aware of.
Now to room itself. It had nice touches, like a full size fridge, a small diswasher, marble table tops (I think they were real marble), but I think the lack of maintenence far outweighed these perks.
Also, one last thing to note, it probably says this in the terms & conditions, but silly enough we didn't read it. They freeze money on your credit card for your stay, not just simply taking an imprint. It was $200, for our 2 night stay. Not illegal, but just something to be aware of when you stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Whether for business or pleasure, a trip to Adelaide is enhanced when you stay at Oaks Horizons. The hotel features spacious, modern apartments, and is conveniently located on North Terrace, opposite the Convention Centre and Skycity Casino. 1 and 2 bedroom apartments offer Adelaide accommodation which includes full kitchen and laundry facilities, and guests have access to a host of leisure amenities, as well as broadband Internet access and room service. Other facilities include an indoor heated lap pool, sauna, plunge pool, gym, steam room and a licensed cafe. Business and secretarial services are also available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Oaks Horizons reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oaks Horizons Apartment Adelaide
- Hotel Oaks Horizons Apartment