“not as good as you might expect”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Backpack OZ

Backpack OZ
Adelaide
“not as good as you might expect”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Ok facilities and cleanliness are great. fast internet, spotless kitchen, clean toilets, handy lockers, generous breakfast.
But honestly... the main reason why I pay an hostel for is the sleep. and I had a terrible one in this place !
being put in a 12 beds dorm - called the cave - I was waken up all night so many times. people coming in and out of the room all the time. all the time! people making noise, opening the door, opening their lockers, opening their luggage, people waking up at odd times (like 1 am! - well, guess it's not that odd if you can't catch much sleep in the night time! ) , people coming back from pub crawls, people ringing with their phone, people ringing with their alarm clock, people waking up at 8 to catch breakast (no brekkie after 9) and then going back to bed.....
basically constant movement and noise all the time except between 3 and 7 am. that were prolly the only hours I actually slept in this place.

the funny thing is that 12 dorm has the same price of 6 beds dorms. any sense in this ?
12 bed dorm should be half the price !

I suppose if you're a kid and look only for fun and and hangin out this can be a good place but if you look for some good sleep then just go somewhere else. for me sleep quality is basically the only reason why I pay an hostel. if I have to be waken up every 15 mins then I can just sleep in a park and spare myself 30 bucks.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Oath

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Beijing
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stopped here for a week at the end of November.Very near to the city center, the owner is kind and helpful, and free BBQ in Wednesday night is good.

They also provided bread, spreads, cereal, coffee, tea, and milk for breakfast. The common room was large and offered plenty of places to sit and relax. There is also a pool table(and there is always someone playing on it), TV with movies, books, magazines, and a bar.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Xinhu
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

This is not a nice hostel. They just put as many beds as possible in crowded spaces, my room was basically in the living room, on the other side of the tv so it was really loud. It should have been a 6 dorm but there was another bed on the floor so you could hardly move. If you want to spend your time in Adelaide wasted, then this is the place to meet people and crash in an uncomfortable bed, otherwise there are plenty of much nicer places for the same price.

• Stayed November 2012
Kilburn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stopped here for a week at the beginning of October. First impressions weren't so great as the place looked very much in need of a refurb and was a little run down. Sam, the owner greeted us nicely and was very helpful, we couldn't check in till 2, so he told us where to go fora bit, but were also allowed to use the hostels facilities. Unfortunately there isn't any proper luggage storage, it's just a little area in the reception, but if you have any valuable items that need locking up they can get put in the small storage room that's always locked. We managed to check in at 1, there's no lift for the top floor, so it was a bit of a struggle. The room on first impressions was good. In was larger than some hostels I'd been in, we stopped in a 4 bed and then could have fitted another bunk bed in. There was a hanger with shells and lockers under the bed. I was quite happy to see there was a sink and mirror also. Everything was clean, and I found my bed and pillow comfy. There wasn't any air con, though other rooms do have some. The room looked out over the road, so if your wanting something quiet ask for a back room. The bathrooms and toilets are very clean, again just dated. I've been in much more modern and up to style hostels, and they have mostly been dirtier and grubby compared to backpack oz. The showers upstairs are all good, there's a couple of showers downstairs that aren't so great, the shower heads very low, but then one very good one called 'the dump'. If you can get to use this one, do. The kitchens reasonably sized for the size of the hostel, and with all the facilities needed. They have washing machines and tumble driers, $3 for each, and an ironing board. There's two outside Areas, one downstairs for smoking and a balcony upstairs for non smoking and a place to hang your washing. The common rooms comfy and light, with a large flat screen tv, pool table and bar. They offer up to date films and have a film night on Sundays with free popcorn. On Wednesday there's a free BBQ, chicken, sausage, salad, potatoes, doughnuts and a vegetarian option if asked for. It's very delicious and brings all the hostel down, including the people from the guest Ouse (the sister hostel down the road). Afterwards they play killer pool, with a prize of a crate of beer, and other things, depending on what Sams bought. It's a quid to enter Nd half way through they stop for a game of spin the wheel. We won a bottle of red wine, an ice cream and a can of coke. But there's other things such as a free nights stay, a meal out, or cinema tickets. They have happy hours and the alcohol is reasonably priced. It's not much of a party hostel though, so there's not the offers that you'll get in a nomads or base. But it has a lovely chilled out vibe, which is very enjoyable to stop in. We went away for a few days and when we came back, it was like coming home. It's small, but that's good, you've at to know everyone, all the staff know your names. With the price you get all the above as well a free tea and coffee and free cereal and toast in the morning. I wouldn't say it's an amazing hostel, and if our wanting something more up to date, or a party hostel there's better places to go. But it's just a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Book through the actual website. If you have 7 nights you get 1 free. Ask for a room away from the r...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ali v
Saugatuck, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I spent two nights at this hostel (a Wednesday and a Monday). The free BBQ on Wednesday night was delicious and there was more than enough to go around. I even had leftovers for breakfast the next day. They also provided bread, spreads, cereal, coffee, tea, and milk for breakfast. I found most, but not all, of the staff to be friendly and helpful. The common room was large and offered plenty of places to sit and relax. There is also a pool table, TV with movies, books, magazines, and a bar. The bar closes at 10pm though so don't worry about the noise. I was in room 1 which is a female only dorm with 6 beds. The door doesn't close properly unless you really pull/push it. As you can't trust everyone in the room to do this, it was a bit of a safety issue. I didn't have anything worth stealing though, so it didn't bother me. There are lockers in the rooms so bring a lock for anything valuable. I made a friend at the hostel and we booked a wine tour with them. The staff were helpful in picking our tour and we got some free goodies for booking with them too. If ever in Adelaide again, I will stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Bassano Del Grappa, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I was there for 4 days and it was perfect! free breakfast, free transfer from and to, free bike hire, friendly staff, free bbq on wednesday night, near the city center and not too big....so you will be friend with all the guests =)
it's sad the don't have a lift and some room too small =(

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Newbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

This is one of the best hotels I have stayed in, was a shame I only stayed for 2 nights.
There was a small problem at check, they didn't have me booked in but it was quickly rectified! I asked to stay in a private room, because of availability I had to change rooms after the first night which did not bother me as I got to view both sides of the hostel, the guest house and the hostel its-self, the guest House was clean with a 24 hour kitchen lovely and quiet. The room was large and had a small TV, I I had a very good nights sleep. One thing to note is the Guest House does not have any Internet facilities.
The hostel private room was smaller but just as clean and welcoming, this room was without a TV. Luckily the room was ready first thing in morning so I have much waiting around to do and could get on with my day. This side had wifi just wasn't very strong in the rooms.
The communal areas were all clean and I have never seen such a clean kitchen! It had all the equipment you would need right on hand including an oven! In the mornings there is continental breakfast offered free of charge, tea, coffee and bread with condiments.
The staff at the hostel were lovely and very accommodating. I would love to stay at this hostel again!
The Hostel, I thought was in a good location and is a nice walk into the city and not far from sightseeing buildings.

Room Tip: Guest house is quieter with a 24 hour kitchen but doesn't have wifi.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business