“Perfect hostel!”
Review of Backpack OZ

Backpack OZ
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I was there for 4 days and it was perfect! free breakfast, free transfer from and to, free bike hire, friendly staff, free bbq on wednesday night, near the city center and not too big....so you will be friend with all the guests =)
it's sad the don't have a lift and some room too small =(

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed September 21, 2012

This is one of the best hotels I have stayed in, was a shame I only stayed for 2 nights.
There was a small problem at check, they didn't have me booked in but it was quickly rectified! I asked to stay in a private room, because of availability I had to change rooms after the first night which did not bother me as I got to view both sides of the hostel, the guest house and the hostel its-self, the guest House was clean with a 24 hour kitchen lovely and quiet. The room was large and had a small TV, I I had a very good nights sleep. One thing to note is the Guest House does not have any Internet facilities.
The hostel private room was smaller but just as clean and welcoming, this room was without a TV. Luckily the room was ready first thing in morning so I have much waiting around to do and could get on with my day. This side had wifi just wasn't very strong in the rooms.
The communal areas were all clean and I have never seen such a clean kitchen! It had all the equipment you would need right on hand including an oven! In the mornings there is continental breakfast offered free of charge, tea, coffee and bread with condiments.
The staff at the hostel were lovely and very accommodating. I would love to stay at this hostel again!
The Hostel, I thought was in a good location and is a nice walk into the city and not far from sightseeing buildings.

Room Tip: Guest house is quieter with a 24 hour kitchen but doesn't have wifi.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Stayed two nights here in early june. It was a little quiet - although it was midweek during the coldest time of year so not surprising, however the staff still made a genuine effort to put on stuff for the guests during the evening (in this instance, a Pool competition). It's an old building so naturally not everything is perfect; no en-suite, for instance, but the rooms are extremely clean (the cleanest hostel I've ever been in) and I had brand new beds, nicely made by the staff. The main reason to stay is the staff though, they even gave me a free lift to near the airport when I departed. Actually made me want to stay in Adelaide longer!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 26, 2012

me and my friend stayed here for 4 nights whilst on a pit stop through Adelaide to Cairns. The hostel was clean, comfortable and very welcoming. The staff were very friendly and always helpful (lending brollies, help with directions, things to do etc). The rooms were clean and spatious. The showers and bathrooms could do with improvements, the showers a little dirty etc. The free breakfast was available until 10:30 and Wednesday was a free bbq. The WiFI was also free and pretty fast, especially in the late evening. I would recommend this hostel to other backpackers.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 18, 2012

My Partner and I had recently immigrated to Adelaide and were staying at the Guest house until we had found our feet. Every week I told whoever at front desk ( usually Sam) that we would be booking for the following week. The first 5/6 weeks were great, staff were friendly.

Apart from a couple hiccups its was a good experience until today 18/3/2012. When I say hiccups, we were being polite and didn't complain much, but they were still unacceptable. Firstly our bed was broken, surely you check rooms before you book people in?? Then we had a week of cold showers. Not too mention the aircon works every now and then, not too mention room 7 is on the corner of the road and communal bathrooms. so a they get a zero there for quietness. Also during the time spent there, I had to ask for clean linen and I had to change the bin in the room. I know you are just a back packers, but my goodness! offer you long term guests to change linen and give the room a bit of a clean.

Yes BPO were very kind to give us a $10 discount each week( yes $10 over 7 days!!!!). On 10/3/2012 I informed Sam that we would be staying for the week we paid for ( week ending 18/3/2012) and then the following week as we were going to Perth. "Ok" was his response. On Sunday 18/3/2012 a staff member walked into the room asking when we were leaving?? We went to front desk only to be told sorry we are booked for this evening... AFTER WE TOLD THEM WE WERE GOING TO STAY THERE! they knew we were going to pay for another week! why would you give up a weeks accommodation for a night? Front desk staff were unfriendly, would not consider phoning owners, making a plan for us or other guests booking.( I would have gladly paid half for the other guests who were staying for 1 night accommodation elsewhere ) I am an experience hospitality professional and I have never, never come across such rude, ill informed and unhelpful staff like I had today. Perhaps BPO should employ a full time/Part time permanent employee who has the know how to deal with such situations, instead of hiring guests who stay at the back packers...... I wonder if those employed even have the right to work in the country?!?!?! Not to mention on Friday 16/3/2012 the middle toilet got blocked and was running and staff members on Friday and Saturday did nothing! they didn't try fix it or call a plumber! So lucky us in room 7 heard running water for 2 nights.

In essence I guess back pack oz and their staff members have NO idea what customer service is! Like I said before, Tom.... Hire part time permanent staff who have the know how and basic logic to deal with customers and other issues. You might have a free bbq and breakfast and fun activities planned, but if your customer service is up S!"t, none of those "perks" count.

Room Tip: Don't choose room 7.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
SamandAneta12tree, Manager at Backpack OZ, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2014

HI Dayle

We appreciate that you enjoyed your first “5 to 6 weeks” staying with us. All the problems that you mentioned such as the broken bed, lack of hot water and running toilets where all fixed immediately or when the tradesman could be available.

We remember you being an extremely difficult guest during your whole stay with us. This is still evident with the barrage of venting that you have written.

Kind regards

Backpack OZ and the Guest House

Reviewed February 8, 2012

Clean rooms, friendly staff, free breakfast. Only stayed one night. Located directly at the biggest road which you don't hear if your room is in the back. Very good: Nearby supermarket, Bus station is nearby, walk to centre of town in about 10 minutes.

BUT: We were charged a booking fee for having booked a trip to Kangaroo Island by the staff. Actually, he said, the extra bucks were a deposit. It was more like a provision for them. If you are interested in visiting Kangaroo Island starting at Adelaide, do the booking by yourself.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2011

expected more...free internet but doesn't work, old bathrooms, loud noise from the street, lockers in rooms do not close properly, small and crowded kitchen, people arriving in the middle of the night, if you are staying on the first floor have to carry up your stuff a high staircase and no luggage room for day storage...wouldn't recommend for a long stay.
Friendly staff though, free dinner once a week and met nice travellers but if you are looking for a quiet stay not the best place. And someone stole my pants which I forgot in one of the bathrooms...

Room Tip: maybe back of the building, away from traffic and close to a bathroom
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo