“Location Perfect” 4 of 5 bubbles

Adelaide Paringa
Ranked #35 of 58 Hotels in Adelaide
“Location Perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2010

I had to head to Adelaide for an interview in mid-Dec, and what caught my eye was the price that the Adelaide Paringa offered - $99 a night in a two-bed room! On arrival, the reception was cheerful and the staff seemed to have a good relationship with each other, which made things cozy. There is only one lift, which can be a bit rickety and slow at times, but thankfully, we did not stay at the hotel on a busy day, so waiting was never for too long. The room we got was reasonably sized for 2 people and I appreciated the clothes hangers provided in the closet. All the necessities were there, and the plasma TV was a plus. My dad complained of bed bugs, but I personally had no such issue. The location is right in the midst of things, only a minute away from Rundle Mall & tram, and a mere 15/20min to the university, which was perfect. A thoroughly enjoyable stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank CypressSky
Millers_Sales, General Manager at Adelaide Paringa, responded to this review, January 9, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Adelaide Paringa with us.
It is very pleasing that you enjoyed your stay. I note the comment about your Father and bed bugs, the bugs are becoming a major pest for hotels worldwide.
It is for just this reason we have a prevenative program in place and ourb rooms are checked and treated on a continuous basis. With the global travel now available at unprecedented levels and access to remote and tropical areas now so much easier this will continue to be a major concen for all.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
new zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2010

The Adelaide Paringa has one main thing going for it - Location.
It is on Hindley street, about 30 metres from Rundle Mall.

During our stay, not much else was a positive.
Firstly they charged $50 up front for any possible charges should we skip. Interesting as they told us when we checked out it would take several days to get or money back - What?!?! I heard one of the staff say that to a client that this is standard in the industry. On this trip to Aussie we stayed in 5 hotels and this was the only one that actually charged us. The other took our card details, as every other hotel I have ever stayed in does.
We stayed 8 nights and the room was serviced different every day. Bed was made up in 4 different ways, the floor was vaccumed some days, not others, clean glasses some days, not others, towels (which we reused to save water etc) were sometimes re folded. And one large lump of bubble residue from shampoo was on the wall of the shower stall for the entire time we were there (yuck I know, but it became a sick fascination to see if it would be removed).
The quality of the staff was variable, with one of the receptionist not even acknowledging you when you leave or enter. Oh and the reception closes at 9pm, which is when they turn off the hotel internet (which you have to pay for).
Want to do washing - head over the road. The sign in the Paringa states you need $2 for soap & $3 for the washing machine, but forgets to metion about the charge for the dryer. Poor.
Would never reommend to anyone (friend or not)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank alibnz
buxtonbarber, General Manager at Adelaide Paringa, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to supply feedback on your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize if you feel our performance detracted from your experience.
I would like to clarify some of the points you raised.

It seems we have failed to communicate important information to you on your arrival at the Motel.

At check in we failed to communicate correctly the credit card process, we do not in fact charge our guests a bond, we take a pre authorization for the bond amount which is pretty much standard throughout the world and the amount can vary from place to place. This does not take the funds from your account however secures them so as they are there should we need to put through a transaction for extras. With some banks this pre auth can take up to 5 days to be removed so we like to fully appraise our guests that this may happen.

We do close reception at 9.00pm which does certainly mean that their is no access to the computer in the guest lounge, however all rooms do have broadband internet available at a cost. There is also an internet cafe at the front of the hotel building which is open until late in the evening.

I am very disappointed to read your comments on our failure to adequately clean your room and even more dismayed at the observations you make of one of our front desk team. This is not an acceptable level of service nor is it of the standards we try to achieve.

I would greatly appreciate you contacting me directly at the following so as I can get some more information from you to enable me to fully investigate the issues you raise and to address our communication failures with the correct people to ensure this type iof breakdown does not occur.
manager@adelaideparinga.com.au

Travelers are raving about these Adelaide hotels

Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

I stayed three nights at the Paringa, in a room overlooking the pub. It wasn't as bad as you might think, but if you're a light sleeper, it could be a disaster.

The rooms are comfortable, but they're very dated and the furniture is wearing out. The building was not built to house a motel, and in some cases the rooms are awkward.

The Paringa has some of the best prices in Adelaide, but it is a case of getting what you pay for. So if you're on a budget, it's a worthwhile stop, but if you're after comfort and a good night's sleep, keep shopping around.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank trevar
buxtonbarber, General Manager at Adelaide Paringa, responded to this review, October 12, 2010
Dear Trevar
Thanks for taking the time to add your thoughts on Adelaide Paringa, you are totally correct each room is a little different to the next on any given floor however each floor is a mirror of the others. This is as you say a resut of an old and we think intersting building, in fact an Adelaide landmark.
We are currently assessing a new type of double glazing which may be a practical option for the existing windows.
We also believe that the Paringa is a true value for money option when staying in Adelaide.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2010

Stayed a Wed and a Friday night (in different rooms 107 then 207) with son on recent trip.
First let me say it was clean and tidy ,very very close to everything( note this is the seedy part of town) and very reasonably priced and the staff were very good and helpfull.
However, the Pub is next door in a side street which is a shortcut used by many noisy people who for some reason seem to yell out all hours of the whole night and I mean the whole night. At 4.30 I thought I would get to sleep but that is when the waste truck and council cleaners arrive ...exhausted ...at about 5.15am I fell asleep to 8.30am.
Worst nights sleep I've ever had.
Friends who stayed in rooms facing the main street said it was the same !!
Management told me that they are ging to "double glass" the windows soon so this will solve this issue......so it will make all the difference.
check before you book ....
unless your a rager who wil be next door at all the venues...then you will be fine.
Only other issue was bar fridge door was open on arrival and one bottle of water missing and tea milk was openned but full ?? reported and ok.

If they fix the noise issue i would stay again.

Stayed September 2010
1 Thank FelixF
buxtonbarber, General Manager at Adelaide Paringa, responded to this review, October 3, 2010
Dear Felix F
Thank you for taking the time to submit your thoughts on your recent stay. Firstly I apologize for the houskeeping oversight with the Fridge in your room, while we did fix the issue this is not acceptable that you should be confronted by an incomplete room at check in.

The noise issue is one that we are doing everything within our power to rectify and in fact will be taking further steps in this regard in the coming week.

Again thank you for your comments.
melbourne australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

Stayed in a third floor room facing Hindley Street, on a Sunday night. The room was OK but the noise outside - all night! - was simply horrendous. Drunks and yobbos till about 2pm (and occasionally thereafter), and then, in no particular order, rubbish collectors, police cars (sirens wailing), trucks, unidentifiable vehicles that made more noise than a jumbo jet, street cleaners going one way down the street at 5am and then the other way at 6. And so on. It was a sleepless nightmare.

The other problem is the car park - secure, but with ridiculously tight parking spots and hardly any room to turn or manipulate vehicles. Unless you have a small sedan, forget it.

As I said, the room was OK, if slightly shabby. There was a comb (not ours!) under the bed, so perhaps the cleaning is under par as well.

All in all, you are better off staying in a motel in the suburbs - which are only a few minutes away in Adelaide anyway.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank nelson-7
Dear Nelson-7

Please let me apologize for the breakdown in housekeeping (comb under the bed) as I am sure you can see and would agree that the great number of comments on this site and many others all suggest that our cleanliness is generally very good.

The noise issue from the street and suurounding business's is somthing we are working to try to remedy or at least minimize and have already taken many steps to achieve this. Unfortunately this is not simply fixed by double glazing and requires very much a multi faceted approach. We will continue to work to minimize the impact of inner city noise.

Again thank you for taking time to share your thoughts.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2010

We stayed here for several nights recently in one of their "deluxe spa" rooms. All I can say is that sleeping area was clean but the bathroom is disgraceful. Tile are missing, chipped and cracked paint in the bath, filthy nozzle on the shower, mould in grouting. Unfortunately there were no other rooms available and we had prepaid so we were stuck there. This is a very basic hotel, we paid about $130 per night and worth about $80. Any renovations they claim were done were only very basic (furnishings looked ok). Beds are hard and pillows very cheap and thin. Sheets and towels are clean but getting worn. The only good thing I can say about here is that the staff are courteous and friendly and it is in a very convenient location. This is the first time I have been disappointed by a hotel and unless you are desperate or have very low standards in bathroom hygience do not stay here.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nicole M
buxtonbarber, Manager at Adelaide Paringa, responded to this review, September 21, 2010
Dear bendalong
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. we welcome all comments, positive and negative as both help us to improve our business. I am truly disappopinted you departed with such a poor impression of the hotel.

While I accept totally your comments I am sure you will agree that they do not reflect the recent theme of commentary from our guests. I obviously want to get to the bottom of the issues you raise and would welcome the opportunity to discuss them further with you. I would greatly appreciate if you would take the time to contact me on manager@adelaideparinga.com.au
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2010

I was in Adelaide for several days and really enjoyed my stay at The Adelaide Paringa Hotel. The location is ideal - right in the heart of downtown, close to Rundle Mall, Chinatown, and great restaurants. Everything is within walking distance, which was really nice way to explore the city.

Even though you are downtown, it is a very quiet location. You get good value for your money.

Overall, I was very pleased with the level of service. The staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
buxtonbarber, Manager at Adelaide Paringa, responded to this review, September 14, 2010
Dear Raymond043
Thank you for your favorable review of Adelaide Paringa. It was especially pleasing to see you rated the accommodation as good value for money; this is the basis of Adelaide Paringa as a product and it was great that you noted exactly what we are trying to achieve.

I will be sure to convey to our staff your comments on their service, this feed back goes a long way to keeping our staff wanting to do the best they can for our guests.
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and we hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.