“A Fantastic Base”

Ranked #12 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
“A Fantastic Base”
Reviewed August 4, 2010

I stayed at the Mantra while visiting wineries in the Barossa, Adelaide Hills and McLaren Vale. It was a fantastic base in every way - nice and central and within easy distance of the vineyards and also nice and close to the action in Adelaide (though not so close it was impossible to get a good night's sleep).

When I stayed the Adelaide festival was in full swing and the city was buzzing - it was nice to have a hotel just on the periphery of the action, a calm oasis to return to after a night of partying.

When I first booked in I arrived ahead of my colleagues - even though it was a group booking and I didn't have much information the receptionist couldn't have been more helpful and friendly - after dropping off my luggage in my fantastic apartment (fantastic views across Adelaide Hills, huge TV, fridge, comfortable furniture, beautiful bedrooms with super comfy beds, soft lighting and perfect silence and darkness when it was time to turn in) I headed back downsatirs for a cold beer.

The foyer bar is just lovely as well - open to the street so a nice breeze wafts through, with friendly staff who had time for a chat. The atmosphere was so relaxed - if you preferred to catch a few rays, the large frontage was was laid out with tables and chairs as well - all the better to watch the bustle of a sunny day in Adelaide over a cool beer.

I didn't eat dinner or lunch in the hotel and I didn't hear any reports back, but I lovely heart breakfast one morning.

Overall, a lovely stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank rconti479
Tim_Rees-Jones, General Manager at Mantra Hindmarsh Square, responded to this review, August 11, 2010
Dear rconti479,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us at Mantra Hindmarsh Square. We are very happy we were able to assist in providing you with a memorable holiday and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Warm Regards,

Tim Rees-Jones
Mantra Hindmarsh Square

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 12, 2010

We had some guests in our room before going out at around 11,00PM. The noise level was a little loud at 1 point, so we received a visit from a 'manager'. This whole encounter spiralled out of context and the manager decided to react very poorly and inappropriately by allowing his personal attack to override appropriate skills in handling a slightly difficult guest situation. Apart form this, the bed was hard and uncomfortable, the lift very crammed and difficult to operate with the room card. The rooms are advertised as suits, but are very small - particularly in the living area. The 1st room that we were given was a rear facing room onto a car park, after having confirmed at the time of reservation that we would be receiving a view of the city. This was changed after complaining to the desk and having the manager agree to the room change. We won a free voucher for this stay, so I guess the usual treatment and service disappears with that. Properties need to realise that these vouchers are provided more often than not through a corporate situation or event, and that clients are going to obviously report back to a great deal of people regarding their experience. The experience that we had was poor and that will be the last time Mantra will be receiving consideration in the future.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tonywills
Adelaide
Reviewed June 10, 2010

Stayed here for one night. Got a great room for the rate I paid, I was expecting a small studio room but got a one bedroom apartment. Not sure if this was due to them upgrading me or what but it was great!

Big bathroom, bedroom and lounge area. Very modern and comfortable. Had a large TV in the lounge AND the bedroom. Kitchen was well appointed with good appliances. It was very quiet and the staff were very nice.

I did have trouble in the morning however, unfortunately I suffered one of my migraines and was unable to leave by check out time. I rang reception and literally had to beg to extend my check out, I offered to pay extra but the staff I spoke to was extremely rude and not understanding at all. Eventually they agreed to it. Bizarre considering I was yet to check out and still a paying customer.

Besides the lil hiccup at the end it was a great place to stay and would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 30, 2010

I stayed at Mantra Hindmarsh Square with a work colleague last week and working in the travel industry ourselves, we were very impressed with the high level of service. The Valet parking was very convenient and even though we went in and out regularly it was never a hassle and the car got driven up within minutes every time. Furthermore, we had lots of bulk mail delivered to the Hotel which was all delivered to our room and the staff even put some of the items in our car, ready for us to take the next morning. The room was great as well, very spacious and clean.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Madeleine84
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 10, 2010

I did not have a good experience at this hotel.

I chose it for the good location. It's central and you can get out and about. So it's a great place to get out of, if you know what I mean.

Booked a 2 bedroom suite, expecting what a normal human expects when ordering such: 2 good size bedrooms, practical layout, possibly a second bathroom. Bit of space to move around.

Walking through the door, I felt I was being sucked in down the endless narrow corridor, a bit like Alice falling into Wonderland. Down the hole I went, past the horrible second bedroom, past the dreary bathroom, past the bizzare main bedroom with the sliding doors with mirrors on them, and into a cramped, square living/dining room with a puny balcony attached to its side.

"Curious and curiouser", as Alice would say.

Not happy with the room at all. Thought it was an absolutely awful living space. The worse layout I have seen. How anyone can be expected to have a restful night's sleep in the tiny second bedroom, with its single bed, no window and dim light I do not know. Unless you are Harry Potter, and are used to sleeping in the cupboard under the stairs.

Room clean enough.Shower a bit dodgy.

Room service: disgusting. Ordered a chicken bbq pizza from the late night menu and, apart from it being horribly overpriced, it tasted terrible. It looked like the anorexic chicken pieces vomited up some barbecue sauce and then laid down for a nap. Terrible.

Front room service nice enough, and there is a half-decent breakfast buffet option (extra charge) in the restaurant downstairs. But you can get that even if you are not staying here, so it's certainly not a reason to pay a visit.

Wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Sydney
Reviewed March 6, 2010

We stayed in the Mantra Hindmarsh apartments for two nights in a one-bedroom apartment. We found the apartment facilities to be very good. A small kitchen suitable for making basic meals or reheating some leftovers and a comfortable lounge to relax in whilst watching tv.

The buffet breakfast ($20 p.p ) would be ok if you didn't feel like going out of the hotel or wanted to really fill up prior to a big day out, but with Rundle Street such a short walk away you could probably get a much nicer (though perhaps not as large) breakfast for the same price.

Overall though we found the location and facilities of the Mantra to be pretty good and would consider staying here again if we were able to get it at a reasonable price.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed February 19, 2010

The location of the hotel is great, close to Rundle Mall where you can do all your shopping, grocery shopping, etc; as well as to the Market for a more local experience.

The 1-bedroom apartments were spacious, and the kitchenette/living area and bedroom were a good size. Our only gripes about the room was that the bedroom was much too dimly-lit and the pillows were too flat causing daily stiff necks (despite us piling two or three together)!

Our one bad experience was when one morning at 8.00am, some horrendous drilling of tiles began in the neighbouring room and we were awaken with a shock. Our bedroom was shaking! The drilling did not stop, and it became so bad that we had to leave the room for the rest of the day. Only the following day did we receive a letter from the manager explaining that they upgrading their room tiles, but did not expect it to be a disturbance. But it was truly an unpleasant experience! The non-stop drilling went on till we left the hotel a few days later. We only wished that they'd informed us of this rather extensive construction work earlier.

Also, the Wireless Broadband, which we paid in advance for one week's usage, 'exceeded its limit' in merely half a day's usage!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business