“Budget rooms”

Mercure Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #41 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed December 5, 2013

When you arrive at this hotel, the entrance is beautiful and the staff friendly.
We had been booked into a budget room by our travel agent……….. Ok, but it is the smallest room in the world, and the on suite, what can I say it has a glass door, yes frosted, but you can see the person on the toilet!!!! not nice. Then we woke covered in bites. We we her then moved to a better room. So DO NOT BOOK a budget room at this hotel.

Room Tip: Do not book a budget room, its way back at the hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
MercureHotelGM, General Manager at Mercure Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear Caroljs55

Thank you for your post. Our Economy/Budget rooms represent the cheapest accommodation option in Adelaide's best location (North Terrace).

The frosted doors on the bathroom do provide privacy, but I understand that they were not sufficient for your needs.

We also offer four star Mercure rooms which are larger and also represent great value.

Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

I might stay here again, if on a very tight budget. The bed was clean and comfortable, and the staff polite. Also pluses were power outlets by the bedside and good lighting. But my tiny economy room smelled strongly of cheap air freshener and tobacco, and the hallway smelled very faintly of vomit. The ensuite bathroom wasn't as clean as it should have been: the cleaner presumably hadn't noticed the urine splatter on the wall beside the toilet. There is no in-room temperature control and the window does not open, so my room was too cold most of the time and I heard another woman in my corridor leaving the hotel because her room was too hot. The door to the bathroom is glass and the bathroom window has no blind, so expect to wake up at dawn if noise from neighbouring rooms through the thin walls doesn't wake you up first. At $120/night, though, it's okay.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sonorou

Dear Sonorou

Thank you for your post on TA. I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your experience.

I have taken note of your feedback and will address these items with our team.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Value for the money - if you got low expectations. The room smelled moldy and the fan on the bathroom was impossible to work out. Had to stand on the toilet on the tip of my toes to connect the cord. Whilst not in the room it was OK to have it on to get some of the smell out, but being in the room the fan was too noisy.

My next stay in Adelaide will definitely be at another hotel!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jutlandica

Dear Jutlandica

Thank you for your post on TA. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us.

I would like to investigate the issue with the bathroom fan - if you could forward me your surname or room number on gm1@mercuregrosvenorhotel.com.au I can resolve this issue.

I hope you'll consider us on your next trip to Australia.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed November 26, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stayed at the Grosvener for just one night recently and aside from signs of an upgrade here and there it looks pretty much as it did when I was last there about 10 years ago. It was a clean and comfortable hotel then - and it still is.
The rooms are small by today's standards and most do not have a view. They can also be a little noisy if your window is anywhere near Hindley Street. However, on the plus side, they are very clean, the bathrooms have been very nicely upgraded, the staff are friendly and courteous, it represents good value and the location would be hard to beat.
Just one small annoyance... we had some trouble getting our keycard to work as did a number of other guests. Might be time to upgrade the system.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Panther029

Thank you for your post on TA.

I appreciate your feedback and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. We offer great value accommodation in a great location.

We have recently had a 'bad batch' of room key cards that have caused a lot of issues, this has been resolved, I apologize for your inconvenience.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We stayed here for two nights on our recent tour of Australia.

We stayed at a Mercure in Bali a few years ago and loved it there so we had high hopes for this one. The Bali one was more of a resort hotel, whereas this one being located in a city centre was, in my opinion, aimed more at business customers.

The hotel is located across the road from the railway station and is within easy walking distance of the main shopping area in Rundle Mall, the Adelaide Oval and the botanic gardens.

Rooms were clean, comfortable and plenty big enough for a two night stay. They could have done with brightening up a little, I felt.

There was no free wifi at the hotel, although there were plenty of free wifi hotspots throughout central Adelaide.

Breakfast was buffet style and up to the excellent standards that we had come to expect from this level of accommodation throughout Australia. It was included for us.

Service was efficient and staff were helpful and friendly,

We loved Adelaide. I think it was probably my favourite Australian city of the tour. If you are visiting, then you could do a lot worse than to stay at the Mercure Grosvenor.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple