“No fuss, no worries, all you need”

Chifley on South Terrace
Ranked #37 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I looked at so many hotels and read so many reviews on various websites for our stay in Adelaide and ended up booking here primarily due to the price.

It was a very inexpensive way for my 3 children and I to stay in Adelaide. I booked a twin room (a basic hotel room with two queen sized beds). It cost $115 for one night and $120 for the next. It was a monday and tuesday night so there was no noise from any bars or restaurants.

Long story short, you simply cannot go past it for value and location. Free parking (hello? major Aussie city, great deal) was a treat. There was covered and also open-air parking and plenty of it. Felt very safe leaving the rental car there.

STAFF were fantastic. Everyone was friendly and the concierge desk was fantastic. Very helpful. For example, we arrived early (~12MD) when check-in is 2pm. Our room was not ready but the man apologised (!!) and took my mobile number, made our check-in a priority and phoned me when the room was ready!

ROOM was basic but like I said to the kids, we just need somewhere safe and clean to sleep. We're in Adelaide for adventure. The room was clean, the beds very comfy and the bedding modern. (Nothing worse than a daggy bedspread). Yes the carpet is old and the bathroom screams 'renovate me!' but I didn't want to move in permanently, it was excellent for what we needed. It had the little shampoo thingy's. Nice towels and enough of them for all of us. And there was a BATH. It is so hard to find a bath in a hotel room these days. My little 2 loved it.

The room had a kettle and toaster. And a fridge with mini bar. Enough stuff to make a cuppa but nothing to help make toast (apart from the toaster). The restaurant were happy to give me plates and a knife. Ironing board and iron (nice touch, but I don't iron at the best of times). Lovely view of the city.

Our room adjoined another room, I am guessing they'd use the 2 as family rooms if they needed. This made it noisier than I'd have liked due to the chatter and occasional outbursty argument from the people next door. Like any hotel, here your comfort is often at the mercy of the other guests. I used a towel to muffle the sounds and thankfully the next door neighbours didn't party all night.

TV was great. Internet available (at a price I believe), but the guy at the desk happily offered the info that next door (pasta/ pizza/ bar place) has free wifi. (They are also happy for non-paying customers to sit inside and use their wifi).
Bottle-shop around the corner. Heaps of restaurants nearby. Short walk to the free tram.
Fantastic kids playground RIGHT across the road.

POOL was lovely but freezing cold. Didn't stop the kids having a splash. Plenty of towels and lounge-chairs poolside.

There is a restaurant on premises but I did not use it. Brekkie looked nice.

The LIFT was incredibly wobbly (I am scared of lifts, I'm not going to lie to you) and old.
The whole place is old. But if you are wanting a top-of-the-line swishy hotel you can pay your multi-hundreds per night!
Back to the lift. It is noisy. Our room was three rooms away from it and I could hear every move it made. I found that I was exhausted (travelling alone with 3 kids) so it was not enough to keep me awake anyway. The lift has a curfew which I appreciated.

Which leads me to the 'suites', the doors to the suites were IN the stairwell so I imagine that you could hear people clomping up and down the stairs late at night when the lift has retired for the evening. Just a thought.

I would stay there again.
Thanks for reading, and have a great trip!!

Room Tip: Ask to be as far away from the lift as possible and be wary of adjoining rooms
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kazzy_Dee
Write a ReviewReviews (1,319)

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed there for just one night and the room we got was on the 4th floor with a park view. The room was clean and well presented, we had everything we needed for a nights stay. When we slept in the bed it was uncomfortable and the pillows were hard, so didnt get much sleep. was not a fan of the layout in the bathroom particularly where the toilet was it felt cramped and very small inside. w had put the do not disturb sign on our door as we were not checking out till 12 because we had a late checkout included with our stay yet housekeeping walked in to our room without waiting for us to answer the door, which was alittle wierd. overall it was an ok hotel and had an ok night.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Symone C
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Chifley on South Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Dear SymoneC
Thanks for providing welcome feedback on your visit. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay.
I have asked housekeeping to review our beds on the fourth floor and ensure that any needing replacement to keep within our standards are noted and replaced as soon as possible. Alternative pillows are available for guest's comfort and a call to reception will promptly have an alternative delivered to your room - we are currently in the process of developing a pillow menu to assist guest's in this regard as well.
Housekeeping have been reminded not to enter rooms requesting privacy and to refer to their worksheets for rooms with a late checkout. Please accept our apology for the unexpected intrusion.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next you stay.
kind Regards

Damian Gillings
Executive Assistant Manager

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Stayed at The Chifley for three nights on business. The rate included breakfast which was the usual fare of toast, cereal, tea, coffee but also included yoghurt an fruit which was very good. The hotel itself feels a little worn and could do with some renovation. The room was quite large compared to other hotels and smelt of old cigarettes, but was comfortable though not as clean as I would prefer, with stained carpets and mouldy shower. The hotel is ideally located by the South Parklands and walking distance to Hutt St restaurants and the tram. My room overlooked the parklands which was great. The hotel also has free car parking which is certainly not offered everywhere Service is friendly and efficient. Overall not a bad place to stay especially for the price.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank rarablue
Reviewed September 3, 2013

When economical room rates allow this is my preferred hotel in Adelaide. Good sized rooms with comfortable bed and outlook over parklands make this an enjoyable place to stay. I also appreciate the convenience of extensive easy parking. Staff always welcoming and efficient.

Room Tip: I prefer rooms overlooking the parklands.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank AUS-consultant
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I remembered this was once the Adelaide Parkroyal so was optimistic for a good room. I was delighted with the price ($98 per night) and the quality of the room. The hotel itself has a very good ambience and is well located with ample car parking around the back. Service was very friendly and efficient so it ticked all the boxes for me over two nights.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 27, 2013

After reading some not so good reviews after booking I was half hearted but after my stay I can say I certainly was glad to stay there. We had a king suite on the fourth floor and we felt really at home. The view of the parkland was lovely and I found the overall appearance of the room fantastic for the money we paid. I found the staff on arrival to be friendly and welcoming even the cleaner was very friendly it made you feel very comfortable. The parking was great and we never had any trouble getting a park. I would love to see the bar and restaurant open and as I understand that will be happening in the future.
The only thing I could suggest that could change is nice coffee (I ended up purchasing my own as the one supplied tasted very cheap) and I would like to see a bit of cutlery supplied as the room supplied a toaster but no knife to butter toast and no plate.
Look forward to staying again soon and will be keeping a look out for the fantastic wotif deals again next time.

Room Tip: Ask not to be too close to lift if you cant tolerate noise much as it is a bit noisy. ask also f...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank meldie75
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We had a quite big room with an attached lounge and "a kind of" small dinning table next door which we didn't use. The room was close to the old lift and the lift was so noisy.

Breakfast isn't included, extra charge for breakfast. Room and hotel are old.
A bit expensive for the price we paid.

Room Tip: Ask to get the room that is not close to the lift.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple