“Great stay!”

Chifley on South Terrace
Ranked #36 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last night, and the room was lovely and large, curtains blocked the light nicely. All the employees were helpful and friendly, which is always good! ;) We'll be making this a yearly visit - we were really happy staying here. Fasta Pasta right next door was handy too, as we both felt like pizza for dinner, and their pizza was lovely and fresh. Overall totally happy with our stay

Room Tip: As many other people have said, the lift is kinda clunky - our room was about 4 rooms away from the...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shindria
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Chifley on South Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Dear Shindria
Thanks for your positive review on the stay at Chifley on South Terrace.
It is lovely that your experience has resulted in making this a yearly visit and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back again. Without giving away too much at this time in regard to the bar and restaurant, I am sure when you stay next you will also see more improvements and I certainly look forward to your impression of these.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stayed here for two nights. Rooms are large, with great sound proofing and darkening curtains. Yes, hotel is a little aged (lift is pretty rattly) but the staff are good and it is only four floors so try the stairs. Brad and Jan (on front desk) were great and very willing to help with any request. A lovely lounge area- undergoing renovations so bar was out of service. Pool is great and there is plenty of room. Only a 5 minute walk to free tram into the main CBD. Overlooks a lovely little park and there are some great eateries close by.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the lift.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TheLyonsPride

Dear TheLyonsPride
Thanks for taking the time to positively review your recent stay at our property.
Your lovely comments and a commendation have been passed on to Jan & Brad and shared also with the entire hotel team.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next you visit.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I had the most disappointing experience at this hotel, from check in which was a disaster. I booked through hotels.com provided the hotel with the reservation number and they said we cannot find the booking in our system, an I sure I booked. I said I am not 3 years old, I am sure I booked, I have evidence, after about 30 minutes waiting to see what will be the outcome of this, they finally said ok you can have a room,we have a problem on our end, they made me feel like an idiot.When I got into the room I just wanted to walk straight out again, it smelt horrible, there was dust everywhere, the only upside was that there was a small flatscreen tv. The room was very dated but I know it is a 3.5 star rated hotel and expected tis, but I did not expect when I picked up a glass to fill it with water and there was dirty mould at the bottom of the glass like they have not been cleaned in yrs, you could nnot even scrape this mould off, besides that the road noise outside is not acceptable, I was in room 103 it was facing the street, the advertise a balcony, yes there is but If I had known it was shared with the whole floor I would of not booked, in other words when your sleeping your neighbour can come up to your room from the outside.The bed was uncomfortable and the general cleanliness unacceptable, The biggest problem I found was the service, unfriendly and downright rude, NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank lillypilly72

Dear lillypilly72
I am terribly sorry and apologise for the poor service and experience which you have reported and clearly are not to the generally high standard we would also expect. Rudeness by our staff is unacceptable and this and the other issues you have mentioned will be fully investigated by myself and the senior management team.
Can I please request you to contact me at the property between 7.30am & 4pm Monday to Friday so I can follow this up with you personally.
kind Regards

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Well located hotel not far from the city centre. You can take the free tram from about one block away its a 15 minute walk.
The staff were very friendly and helpful with tips and advice.

Rooms are ok for the price,although in need of an update. Pool is very pleasant and free parking a big plus.

The only minus is the cost of the wifi. Very expensive at $20 for a day. Why can't it be free?!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jah13

Dear Jah13
Thanks for staying and reviewing your recent experience of our hotel.
Your comments have been shared amongst the team and we are all pleased you enjoyed your stay.
Unfortunately we are unable to offer Free Wifi at this time as the service is contracted to a third party who set the pricing. We are currently in the process of reviewing this arrangement as this facility has changed greatly since the current contract was entered into. In the meantime however there are packages which are available in shorter time and overall useage blocks which may represent better value for our guests. Reception and the Wifi website are both able to assist guests in this regard.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next you visit.
kind Regards

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed at Chifley on South Terrace for 5 days at the beginning of February. We were so happy with our stay, we returned for one night before leaving Adelaide. Easy ride to/from the airport. We asked for a room away from the lift as I had read on T.A. that it was noisy at night. We were given a lovely room midcorridor, no problem with the lift at all. Overlooking the parkland with lovely views. The balcony isnt a single one, it goes all the way round the hotel, so important to keep your light curtains closed when people may be having a stroll around! Lovely pool area. The bar itself is no longer open, but the Grand Chifley next door has a bar and restaurant open in the evenings. Very reasonable Fasta Pasta a few steps away with good food. 10 mins walk to Central Market, and free trams into town only minutes away on King William St.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Corndolly

Dear Corndolly
Thank you for the review on your recent stays with us. I am pleased you enjoyed our property and facilities and I have commended the hotel team and passed the review on for their reading as well.
We also believe our parklands location is the ideal place from which to explore the many attractions around Adelaide and the FREE city CBD is a great way to get around.
We look forward to welcoming you back should you be returning to Australia and Adelaide in the future (possibly to escape the notorious English winter weather...)

Reviewed February 27, 2013

A throwback to the 70's - this hotel needs a complete faclift.......no bar.......no restaurant and ridiculous prices. Even the staff were apologetic about the facilities. Dirty rooms, needs a good clean and a coat of paint - the decor is right out of the 70's and 80's.Will not stay here again!

Room Tip: If you want a good room and a great hotel - stay somewhere else. Rated 4 stars but more like 2!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank GPhotelstay

Dear GPhotelstay
I am sorry you have not enjoyed your stay with us.
Our Restaurant and Bar operations are clearly displayed on the hotel and other listed websites, although we do understand your comments regarding the bar and restaurant for dinner. We are currently persuing several options to facilitiate the re-opening of these areas in the near future and anticipate an announcement in this regard soon. Our sister property next door, Grand Chifley Adelaide, also has a restaurant and bar and Chifley on South Terrace guests are welcome to use these and charge the account back to their rooms.
Our guest satisfaction surveys (we encourage all guests to rate us either through the online option on our website or via the guest surveys in the room) currently show over 83% satisfaction in room cleanliness and 79% for room comfort. These scores are generally seen as a good result throughout the industry however we are also being proactive in our efforts to improve.
We apologise for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay and would welcome you contacting me at the hotel to further discuss the points you have raised.

Executive Assistant Manager.

Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Continental breakfast only, the bar was closed all weekend - no explanation as to why.
Its quite a dark, old, tired place screaming for renovation.
Shower over bath, someones hair on towel (not ours) eeew! Toilet rust coloured at bottom - eeeew!
Foxtel instructions with remote - foxtel was a blur & unwatchable! Ch7 - unwatchable too.
Rooms were quite big, great block out curtains kept room dark in morning.
Air conditioner kept us awake first night with clunking, clicking noises. Went without air con rest of our stay - just too noisy!
Fasta Pasta next door - easy quick dinners/lunch.

Won't stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Wheretonext500

Dear wheretonext500
I am sorry you do not appear to have enjoyed your stay with us. Unfortunately, our bar and restaurant are not open for dinner at the moment, as is clearly displayed on our own and other listed websites for the hotel. Guests are welcome to use the restaurant and bar facilities of our sister property next door and charge the account back to their room.
Airconditioning is currently being upgraded throughout the property with all rooms having individual reverse cycle units fitted. This program will be completed by the end of March.
We are also in the process of upgrading our television reception due to the Digital changeover happening for the Adelaide area on April 2nd 2013. We have already noticed an improvement in the free to air channels.
We apologise for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay and have reminded all departments to be vigilant in their areas to ensure hotel standards are met.
I would welcome you contacting me at the hotel to further discuss your stay and thank you for bringing your experience to our attention.