“Friendly and efficient staff, a pleasure to stay there!”

Chifley on South Terrace
Ranked #38 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Nowra, Australia
“Friendly and efficient staff, a pleasure to stay there!”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Booked 5 nights in a twin room over the New Year period at a great rate for a capital city. Twin rooms have two double beds, great air conditioning (temperatures were in high 30s while we were there), flat screen tv, a table and two comfy chairs. The hotel pool was nice and cool with plenty of sun lounges. There is free parking (a bonus) and some undercover parking as well. The lift was noisy, but worked well, although it was turned off between 11pm and 5.30am so as not to disturb guests in rooms close to it. 24 hour reception was great, and the staff very helpful calling taxis and providing other local information. Would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not near the lift.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Chifley on South Terrace, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Ippy47
What a lovely review which has also been shared with our staff. Thank you. We are all pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
We are in the process currently of installing individual reverse cycle air conditioning to all rooms, so an even greater level of personal comfort can be expected for guests in the near future.
We have many great deals available and recommend our hotels website for the latest deals and specials, including multi night rates.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next you stay.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Port Pirie, Australia
Reviewed January 5, 2013

People have to remember that sometimes you get what you pay for. I think the biggest problem with the Chifley is inconsistency. The rooms are average, mine was ok but some of my colleagues rooms weren't. It is not a far walk to Gouger St for some great dining or just go down to the corner and catch the free tram to Rundle Mall.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reg D
I am pleased you enjoyed your recent stay and welcome your review.
As you mention, consistency is a prime requisite with many things and no less so than in accommodation. I am concerned therefore about your comment regarding your colleagues rooms and invite either you or them to contact me personally so I can investigate any points bought to my attention.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next you visit.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed here overnight whilst attending a family event in Adelade CBD and did not have a car. This was no problem as the tram stop is within easy walking distance and is free on a Saturday afternoon between South Terrace and the CBD. Can recommend the Central markets as a great place to visit and eat. The Hotel is older and fully refurbished to a high standard. Our room was quite large and comfortable, and overlooked the park. South Tce carries a lot of traffic but is not particularly noisy. The lift can be heard "clunking' to a stop at all floors, although this did not bother us much. Reasonably priced and a good option for short stays.Swimming pool is large and inviting, but we didn't have time to use it.

Room Tip: Adjoining rooms are available if you are travelling in a group.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank FAF10
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Chifley on South Terrace, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear FAF10
Thanks for the review on your recent stay which I am pleased you enjoyed.
We are indeed fortunate with our location overlooking the parklands and to have the free city tram just a short 2 minute walk from the hotel. Great to get into the Mall or Central Markets conveniently as you mention.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next you visit.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed December 16, 2012

A little disappointed, after booking a very cheap room at another Adelaide hotel previously, decided to splash out a little more and book an Executive room here. While clean and tidy, for a room that is advertised as fully refurbished it is starting to show a number of signs of general wear and tear in places with scuff marks and missing paint on the walls ect. However large King bed, and view over South Terrace. While not located directly in the CBD, I don't mind walking and it was still a manageable stroll into town. There is also the Tram available just down the street. My biggest issue with this property was the noise. As a very light sleeper (and suffering from jet lag) found it a little difficult to get a decent night sleep here. During the day the school next door generates a bit of noise, but at night a combination of constant traffic, the hotel lift, and loud Air Con unit (?) made things a little difficult. Did however have a pleasant dinner in the Hotel Restaurant, meal was beautifully presented. All the staff encountered were friendly. Would pack earplugs and maybe consider staying again if decent special on rate.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Hi KiwiKat815
Thanks for the review on your recent stay with us. We are pleased your room was comfortable and you enjoyed your meals in the restaurant.
I have asked housekeeping and maintenance to be vigilant and promptly report and fix any items requiring attention, including paint touchups, etc.
Generally, external traffic noise is not an issue, however your comment regarding loud air conditioning unit has been passed on, as this should not be undue or interfere in our guests comfort. We apologise for any inconvenience experienced.
We are also able to offer rooms with a different aspect (City View) on request and should you be returning to us, ask that you simply make your preference known to us so we can assist.

Broken Hill, Australia
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Whilst in Adelaide, we stayed at the Chifley, booked through Wotif.
The rooms were comfortable and reasonably maintained however, we were put on the first floor and the only view was the side of the domed roof of the dining facility. The side of the roof was less than a metre from the balcony so, don't expect a view.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Chifley on South Terrace, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Dear Keven0856
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Chifley on South Terrace.
We are sorry your room had limited views. We do have many rooms with views of either the city or park lands opposite and are generally able to provide one of these to guests if requested. I am unsure if such a request was made in your particular circumstance, however I would be pleased to look into this matter if you are to provide me with more details of your booking please.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed December 11, 2012

When you have travelled the world and stayed in a range of hotels from two to five star its embarrassing to come home, travel within Australia and see what we offer guests and call it four star. We really have a long way to go in some places to understand what makes a stay at a hotel a warm and inviting experience that we can’t wait to tell someone about. All I can say is that the impression I was left with is that I would not begin to reconsider another Chifley Hotel anywhere in the world unless all other options were exhausted and this was my first experience staying at Chifley hotel. And, please understand, it’s because the experience was in Australia.

Room Tip: They are all noisy but if you have to pick one, select one away from the lift and the main road
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jethro007
Dear Jethro007
Thank you for choosing to stay at Chifley on South Terrace and writing a review. We are sorry you do not appear to have enjoyed your visit.
We believe our self rating is generally indicative of a four star properties facilities and services, based on many factors, including the last official rating received by the independent rating system prior to our voluntary withdrawal and pending the start and completion of planned hotel upgrades. At that stage we were officially 4* rated. Since this time (approximately two years ago), we have undertaken the following upgrades to further enhance the property:
All guest rooms have received: Repainting, new carpet, artwork, curtains (Blockout & Sheer), LCD televisions, bedside & floor lamps and new entrance & bathroom light fittings. All corridors have also been repainted and new carpet laid.
We are currently in the process of installing reverse cycle air-conditioners to all guest rooms and replacement of the foyer carpet will be undertaken shortly.
I am sorry also to hear that you would not consider another Chifley as we take pride in ensuring our guests expectations are met. Indeed, our own "Insights" customer survey's for our Adelaide properties reflect the majority of our guests rank us very highly for service, facilities, staff, return again and recommendations.
I would be delighted to speak with you regarding your experience specifically to better understand the nature of your concerns and invite you to contact me at the hotel.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
kind Regards

Executive Assistant Manager

Travelers are raving about these Adelaide hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed there on Saturday night after an exhausting day, having caught a 6am flight that morning and driving over 160km that day. The bed felt comfortable and I was looking forward to a good night's sleep before flying back on Sunday. Alas, this was not to be ....... the lift kept operating past midnight even though a sign states that it stops operating after 11pm. Tried to sleep with a pillow over my head but I could still hear the lift screeching and clunking!!! Couldn't sleep till about 2am and was awoken at about 6am by ..... wait for it ..... the lift!!!!!
When booking I requested for a room away from the lift as I read a previous review. I was given a room 3 doors away but the lift noise was still a shocker. In the morning, all blurry eyed, I spoke politely to the receptionist about the noise. He was most unhelpful, All he could say was "Sorry, I'll make a note to put you further away next time." I suggested to him that at the very least I should be shouted the $10 breakfast, given what I had to put up with last night. Again he just said, "Sorry". He even wanted to charge me the 3% credit card surcharge for my $10 breakfast ..... WHAT!!! Terrible customer relations! I booked this hotel as I required on-site parking. If on a business trip, you'll need a good night's sleep, so this hotel won't be suitable.

Room Tip: If you have to stay there because of on-site parking, ask for a room at the extreme end of the wing...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank GoldCoastee
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Chifley on South Terrace, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear GoldCoastee
Thank you for the review on your recent stay at Chifley on South Terrace. We are sorry your visit was not as anticipated.
The lift is closed down from approximately 11pm - 6am daily as a way of limiting interference with people sleeping, however on occasion guests requesting its use it is operable during these times.
I am uncertain as to your comment regarding "terrible customer relations" as our staff are generally held in high regard by guests and colleagues and effectively deal with most issues to the satisfaction of the guest at the time or if need be escalate the issue for management assistance. It appears that on this occasion the staff member failed to recognise this need and I have reminded all staff to not hesitate in escalating to management should they be uncomfortable in dealing with an issue or feel our guests are not satisfied.
I welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay and feedback with you personally and invite you to call me at the hotel, between 7.30 am - 4pm Mon - Fri to do so.