“Clunking lift noise that carries on past midnight and starts again early in the morning.”

Chifley on South Terrace
Ranked #37 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed there on Saturday night after an exhausting day, having caught a 6am flight that morning and driving over 160km that day. The bed felt comfortable and I was looking forward to a good night's sleep before flying back on Sunday. Alas, this was not to be ....... the lift kept operating past midnight even though a sign states that it stops operating after 11pm. Tried to sleep with a pillow over my head but I could still hear the lift screeching and clunking!!! Couldn't sleep till about 2am and was awoken at about 6am by ..... wait for it ..... the lift!!!!!
When booking I requested for a room away from the lift as I read a previous review. I was given a room 3 doors away but the lift noise was still a shocker. In the morning, all blurry eyed, I spoke politely to the receptionist about the noise. He was most unhelpful, All he could say was "Sorry, I'll make a note to put you further away next time." I suggested to him that at the very least I should be shouted the $10 breakfast, given what I had to put up with last night. Again he just said, "Sorry". He even wanted to charge me the 3% credit card surcharge for my $10 breakfast ..... WHAT!!! Terrible customer relations! I booked this hotel as I required on-site parking. If on a business trip, you'll need a good night's sleep, so this hotel won't be suitable.

Room Tip: If you have to stay there because of on-site parking, ask for a room at the extreme end of the wing...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank GoldCoastee
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Chifley on South Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear GoldCoastee
Thank you for the review on your recent stay at Chifley on South Terrace. We are sorry your visit was not as anticipated.
The lift is closed down from approximately 11pm - 6am daily as a way of limiting interference with people sleeping, however on occasion guests requesting its use it is operable during these times.
I am uncertain as to your comment regarding "terrible customer relations" as our staff are generally held in high regard by guests and colleagues and effectively deal with most issues to the satisfaction of the guest at the time or if need be escalate the issue for management assistance. It appears that on this occasion the staff member failed to recognise this need and I have reminded all staff to not hesitate in escalating to management should they be uncomfortable in dealing with an issue or feel our guests are not satisfied.
I welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay and feedback with you personally and invite you to call me at the hotel, between 7.30 am - 4pm Mon - Fri to do so.

Executive Assistant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,384)

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed 4 nights after purchasing package which included hot breakfast $135. Found out we had to go to Grand Chifley to get it each morning. Hotel still advertises having a restaurant but it was closed in the evening and again directed to go down the road to the Grand Chifley. To me that is misleading advertising. We were left a letter on the second day of our stay. As a woman travelling on my own, I specifically chose a place with a restaurant so I didnt have to walk the streets in the cold weather. Rooms were clean and beds okay and very spacious. However little things about the cleaning like vents and hair dryer vents dusting and look under the sill between shower screen and bath which was mouldy. Disconcerting that people could walk the length of the balcony past our window though - stopped us opening our curtains. Central heating a little warm. Shower head very low I couldn't get under it to wash my hair and I am not terribly tall at 5 foot 7. No extractor fan in bathroom. Curtains off the hooks at both ends in room but good black out quality. Hotel lift is old and bumpy. Carpets in lift could be steam cleaned or replaced. I feel more attention to detail and quality this place could improve.

Mini bar quite minimal really and they could probably make more money from stocking it with quality and more items. We had to fight over the one chocolate bar!
Shampoo and conditioner supplied were okay.

We find quiet room backing onto pool area. Garage lighting could be improved and cleaned up (get rid of clutter). Wonder why this hotel hasn't got an 'accredited' star rating? I think they over estimate their 4 stars they give themselves. They may have renovated lobby and some things in rooms but bathrooms are very 1980's and need to be stripped out and redone to freshen them up. We would stay again for a budget stay but not if we wanted some luxury. It almost felt that this hotel was in the process of closing down to save money?

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank PAMAS4332
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Chifley on South Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear Pamas4332
Thank you for reviewing your stay at Chifley on South Terrace. Your comments are most welcome and have been shared among management and staff for improvements.
I apologise for the late notice concerning the change to breakfast at our property and for any inconvenience experienced. Our decision to offer the continental selection only at the Chifley on South Terrace was made in consideration of wanting to offer guests a choice of premium options between the two properties and not compete with and duplicate these directly with ourselves.
For some months now we have been advertising our restaurant as open for breakfast only, however it is possible some third party website's, which are not directly controlled by the hotel are still to update this information. Our on-line team is currently reviewing these and notifying our product partners of any inaccuracies.
Our voluntary withdrawal from the Star Rating system was a decision made by Management as we were entering a period of refurbishment which would have been carried out in the assessment period. We believe our self rating is generally indicative of other officially rated 4* properties and our recent refurbishments. As we still have several aspects of the refurbishment to complete, including reverse cycle air-conditioning to all rooms and carpets to foyer, we believe it would be preemptive to seek official ratings which would not reflect our product accurately.
Whilst some of the service offerings at our hotel have been reviewed and changed to what they were previously, with the facilities of both the Grand Chifley Adelaide and Chifley on South Terrace combined, we believe we offer our guests a unique product in Adelaide, which is similar to that of many resorts where there is a choice of restaurants, swimming pools and accommodation styles over several different buildings. These change have been made to ensure our business is indeed open for the future and in response to the needs of our guests.
As stated initially, your comments have been most welcome and I trust the above further addresses the concerns you have raised.
kind Regards

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed with my daughter.Man on desk very kindly changed our king bed room to 2 doubles as we were sharing.room itself was nice and clean ,bathroom getting a bit dated but ok apart from hot water in shower, very hot and very hard to regulate with cold tap to get right temperature.could be dangerous for kids.also as we were 2 doors away from lift we could hear the old and dated machine clanging very loudly(luckily it was not used after 11pm and started again at 5.30 am) quite disturbing .time to get it fixed as other guests also complained.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank kyms_11
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Chifley on South Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Dear Kyms_11
Thank you for choosing to stay at Chifley on South Terrace and writing a review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay.
Your comment regarding hot water has been passed on to maintenance for re-placement of the water mixer regulator.
As noted on previous guest comments we are currently assessing quotes for replacement of the lift and I apologise for any inconvenience experienced.
Your lovely comment regarding assistance from Front Office staff has been shared with the team.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed here for one night in October and it was really disappointing. Room was near the elevator and the noise was unbearable. We asked the front desk whether the hotel was full and how often it was used ( in the hope they'd move us... It was a Sunday night and they weren't busy ) but they didn't. They did tell us the elevator is closed between 11pm and 6am (which was a lie as it woke me up at 11.30pm and 5.15am!), so they are aware of the problem... They just refuse to fix it.

Lastly we left our phone charger on the table in the room by accident, we called the next day and were told it wasn't there. We had gone from there directly home. Soil not sure where else it would be, either way they weren't very helpful.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mike_Caridi

Dear Mike_Caridi
I am sorry you were disturbed by the lift and have reminded our Front Office team to be sensitive to allocating rooms away from the lift, especially when we have rooms available. I apologise for any disruption experienced.
We are currently assessing quotes for replacement of the lift. Generally, the hours of operation are limited with the lift closed between 11pm and 6am, however it may be necessary to operate outside of these times for guests with mobility problems.
I am pleased to advise we have located your phone charger and it has been posted back to your address.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Chifley on South Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Paid $95 per night and it is not worth a cent more. Rooms very dated - all the money spent on the 2010 refurb. must have been in the foyer!!!
Location is fine.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Dear Guest
I am unsure as to your comment regarding 2010 refurb, however I am able to advise that the rooms were comprehensively updated with new curtains, carpet, televisions, repainted, new light fittings and lamp shades and new artwork in 2011.
We are considering the bathroom options available at the moment. I am pleased to advise that individual reverce cycle airconditioners will be fitted to all rooms and new carpet in the hotel foyer laid in the next few months.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I visited Adelaide recently and for the fun of it booked a 'secret' hotel room from lastminute.com. The idea is to book the 'secret' room - in this case, a supposedly 4-star hotel in convenient location - and once you've paid, they'll reveal which hotel it is. Well, I got the Chifley on South Terrace.

Totally disappointing. Definitely not a 4-star hotel. It is old and dated with furnishing that looked like they belong in the 70s. The lights along the corridor were not in full working condition and so it was dark and creepy as you walk to and from the room. The curtain rail of our room was almost falling apart. The balcony is shared among all the rooms on the same level, so I couldn't even leave my curtains open for fear a neighbour might walk by.

If you're visiting Adelaide, don't book anything along the South Terrace, there's nothing but a school and a park there. Go for those near Gouger St (Chinatown, Central Market), near the mall (Rumble Mall) or North Terrace (where the musuems and shopping areas are).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VBPUFF
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Chifley on South Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear VBPUFF
Thank you for the review on your recent stay. I am sorry your stay was not to your liking. Unfortunately, the hotel is unable to allude to itself in the "secret" hotel programme as this is one of
the criteria controlled by the third party website. Secret Hotel's and mystery rooms can indeed be a lot of fun, however if people are looking for a specific location we strongly suggest booking a property of choice and not chance. Our South Terrace location, we feel, is the ideal place to stay with many positive features such as its picturesque parklands outlook and the associated jogging tracks and bikeways, convenient free parking, free tram service within the CBD (500m from the hotel) and many fine cafe's, restaurants and pubs nearby. We are a 4<> self rated property and feel that this is a fair reflection of the price, quality, service and facilities we offer when compared generally to other 4* properties.
Your comment regarding the corridor lighting and curtain rail have been passed on to housekeeping and maintenance for their immediate attention as we too expect that these are in good working order.
Please do not hesitate to contact me personally should you wish to further discuss your stay.