“Great Hotel in the centre of the city and yet in a quiet place”

Adelaide City Park Motel
Ranked #46 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Brisbane, Australia
“Great Hotel in the centre of the city and yet in a quiet place”
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We spent a week in this motel in October 2011. It has a very good price/quality ratio and we will definitely recommend it to others. The location is great, it is very quiet, next to parks and the free tram which is running through the centre of the city, it is located in 2-5 minutes walking distance. Since it is located within CBD one can walk through the centre of the city from there anyway.
The staff is excellent. Chris helped us a lot with very useful information about the city and the country. I doubt that any other hotel workers would be so helpful.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SevaPrutskov

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed March 26, 2011

After a mate organising her birthday in town i decided it would be more convient and cost effective if after the night was over to stay in town as i live in the far northern suburbs of adelaide. so i found this place on the net and booked i didn't need anything fancy as it was just going to be a place to lay the head. Buttttt. . . . .

after arriving at city park i was quite pleasantly suprised with what a lovely set up they had for great affordable prices, and the staff where so great and helful. after discovering a mate that wasn't ment to be able to make it now was able to I asked reception if i could purchase a roll out bed for my friend to stay in my room with me, but as i had the queen suite reception said they where not able to help me with my request but in fact could throw in another room for my friend free of charge. I was absolutely blown away and extremely grateful.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone that needs a place to stay for events in town etc very comfortable clean tidy and peaceful. very impressed with my stay there thank-you to the amazing staff at city park :) i will be back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jaxon21
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed February 3, 2011

We stayed at the City Park Motel and found our stay most comfortable and enjoyable. We were impressed with the service from the staff there at reception. They were most helpful in guiding us in where the best places are for us to enjoy ourselves. Thankyou City Park!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MaryandJackTravellin
Brisbane
Reviewed May 7, 2010

Great place to stay, very convenient and close to city

Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 29, 2010

Surprising quality and service is what we received when we booked into this motel. It was situated opposite parklands ideal for our morning fitness and close enough to walk to all the best spots the city has on offer. The rooms were great value, love the plasma screen and new bathrooms. The manager was really friendly and helpful. Talked him into booking a tour and some cab trips for us. All in all I will come and stay again and recommend it to all.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ruskituristo
Moruya
Reviewed April 2, 2008

My wife and I were looking for CBD accommodation in Adelaide for Womad 2008 and to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. Unfortunately we'd left it a little late and CBD accommodation was pretty well booked out. City Park Motel offered an apartment on Portrush Rd (marked Michelle apartments once we got there). My concern that we were not in the CBD was put to rest with the assurance the apartment was on a main thoroughfare, and though too far to walk from the CBD (we didn't bring a car), it was right on a regular bus route and within walking distance of restaurants, shops and a cinema. And at $225 per night, I thought we'd be in for something pretty good.
The disappointment first began when we discovered that the main thoroughfare was four lanes of constant heavy traffic. We were next put out at being unable to make a cup of tea when we arrived (it was a very hot day). Well yes we could have made a cup of tea as there were 2 teabags in the kitchen, but there was no milk in the fridge.
We walked out later to find shops and a restaurant but walked the wrong way, along a noisy, noisy street with high walls both sides, no shops, no visible pedestrian life. We later discovered that at a reasonably nearby intersection there was a (good!) restaurant and, with further directions next day, we found a shopping mall hidden away from the main street.
We'd have liked to unpack our backpacks (we were staying 7 nights) but we could only fit about 5 garments into the pokey cupboard in the hall, along with the ironing board.
We wanted to turn on the fan but the visible plastic cover over the power wire leading to it indicated to us that the fan switch was the one locked in the "off" position with masking tape. Oh well, it was cool in the room.
The bathroom was pretty pleasant apart from an intermittently (but usually) very noisy ceiling fan, so we generally didn't turn this on as it was a maddening noise. A pity, as there was no ventilation to the outside apart from this.
It turned out the room was cool because the apartment behind us (and behind the locked door in the hall) had air conditioning that was ducted to our room. The good folks in that apartment moved out after our first 5 nights, so our room was very hot (a record Adelaide heatwave) and we'd not had the fan working yet. I started the ugly and noisy little white portable air conditioning thingy that was sitting on the hearth of the fireplace, and started investigating again the possibility of getting the fan going. It must have worked recently after all, as the front edges of the blades were dirty. (The gyprock on the ceiling and walls was also put on apparently by an amateur and was cracking in various places). I noticed a light fitting in the hall that had no bulb and thought the taped-up switch might have been for this. After considerable further investigation, I found among the remote controls for the television and DVD player (we weren't in Adelaide to watch television) a remote control for the ceiling fan. Heaven! An explanatory note left on the table or in the kitchen would have helped. Leaving the fan remote in a obvious place, and labelled FAN would have helped.
On our last night, there were people again in the apartment behind us. We knew this as soon as we got in (after a lovely evening) as the room smelt strongly of packet curry mix. I figured that would fade, and be unnoticed after a little while. But at 4 am I couldn't sleep - every breath I breathed in was unpleasant. I tried opening the front door for some fresh air, so my wife was woken soon after by the first large truck to pass. (We were traffic-side of the building). I headed outside for some normal air. Then my wife joined me. I came back in and worked out a way to open the second of the twin opening doors (It took a while and caused a few small cuts to my fingers) and turned the fan on full. I worked out a way to stop the horrid packet curry smell from blowing into our room by standing on a table, removing the mesh vent cover and putting a folded bath towel behind it before jamming it back in place. 10 minutes later, the air in the apartment was breathable, so we shut the doors and fell immediately to sleep.
Well, I thought $1575 for 7 nights would get something better than this.
I'm writing this review as I intended contacting management by email to let them know of our experiences, but have found this review site and have not yet found an email address for the City Park Motel.

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank MarkMoruya

Travelers are raving about these Adelaide hotels

USA
Reviewed April 1, 2008

I paid for the cheapest room ($110 AUD) but when I showed up they had a larger room with a balcony availible and offered it to me at no extra charge. The room was very spacious, modern and clean. We had a balcony with a full patio set. Granted it overlooked a very busy 4 lane major intersection, but we still enjoyed having a cold beer in the warm sun on the balcony.
Staff were friendly and helpful.
I would have liked to been closer to the north end of town where all the shops and bars are, but the walk was easily doable. We could have easily caught the tram too.
A/C unit leaked on our clothes. Appreciated the use of an iron and ironing board. They also had a big selection of DVD's you can borrow for free.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple