“A surprising experience”

Majestic Old Lion Apartments
Canberra, Australia
“A surprising experience”
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

I only stayed for one night and needed to be close to the Women's & Children's Hospital so looked for somewhere outside the city centre. This was a delightful find and superb value. I will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013
Greg_Vaughton, Manager at Majestic Old Lion Apartments, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear David E

Thank you for your recent review of our property, I am pleased to hear you found our location convenient to the Woman’s and Children’s Hospital and I look forward to welcoming you again on your next stay.

Greg Vaughton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Australia
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed 1 night in a 1 bedroom apartment at the back of the property. The room was spacious and clean with everything we needed. Washing machine and dryer in the bathroom. Full size ironing board, iron and hairdrier. Full kitchen facilities.
Free WIFI was fast and didn't drop out. There seemed to be plenty of parking for a Saturday. The pub next door was fairly noisy, but didn't disturb my sleep.
The grounds have lovely paved areas and manicured gardens set off with clever lighting. The open air hallways smelt like rubbish bins, but this is my only complaint about this pleasant accommodation in a great location.

Room Tip: The Store Cafe across the road does a great breakfast and coffee.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Greg_Vaughton, Manager at Majestic Old Lion Apartments, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear chicknlips

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our property, I appreciate your comments about the facilities provided in our apartments and delighted to hear you found the WIFI to meet your needs I look forward to welcoming you back again.

Roslin, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

When my son, who now lives in Melbourne, and I decided to visit Adelaide I actually checked on line to find a hotel and was pleasantly surprised to see these apartments. The two bedroom apartment was ideal for a mum and son on holiday together and had the added bonus of secure parking! The only thing I could suggest to improve the apartment we had was to re-groute the bathroom tiles, they were starting to look a bit tired. There's also a free bus that stops round the corner which takes you into the city although many things to visit are within walking distance. If I was to go to Adelaide again I would use these apartments!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Linda1952_11

Thank you for reviewing our property. In regards to your comment about our grouting at the bathroom tiles we have our maintenance team currently working through the property as a matter of priority to have this issue rectified. I look forward to having you stay with us again when in Adelaide.

Austin, Texas, USA
Reviewed April 10, 2013

The Old Lion has been a favourite for years. It is well situated in a pedestrian friendly section of North Adelaide. The zoo is 10 minutes walk, and the city, museums, and Rundle Mall another 5.

I appreciate that it is well maintained and clean. The self catering facilities are good. the beds comfortable. For those not cooking, there are breakfast, lunch and dinner options within a few minutes walk.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side towards Melbourne Street can hear the sounds from the pub next door. There are...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Viajero952

Thank you for your review. I welcome your comments about the property and it has been a pleasure to have you stay with us over the years. I do look forward to welcoming you back again.

Fitzroy
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband stays here for business several times a year and we always stay over the Womadelaide weekend. We stay in a one bedroom apartment. The room is always clean, comfortable and quiet and it is only a 10 minute walk to the Womad site. The rooms are pretty boring but have a reasonable sized lounge area and kitchenette. The kitchenette could probably be a bit better set up as there is a minimal amount of crockery, cutlery and cooking implements but certainly enough for simple meals though there was no chopping board and reception couldn't find one for me. The lounge area has a comfortable couch and a dining table and chairs.
This would be also a good location if you needed to go to anywhere on the northern end of Adelaide like the zoo, the cricket ground, the art gallery or the university. It is a bit of a hike into the centre of Adelaide but you could always get a bus or a taxi. There is a free tourist bus (the Connector Bus)nearby but it doesn't run very often. There is also the more frequent metro bus (99C) which does a circuit along North Terrrace, East Terrace, Wakefield st.

Room Tip: I think the rooms at the front might be a bit noisy so ask for one at the back. Also ask for a groun...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tess13

Thank you for taking time to review our property. I am pleased to hear that you found our apartments comfortable on your recent stay. I have had our Executive Housekeeper ensure all of apartments have the appropriate items available based on your feedback. I thank you for your comments and look forward to have you stay with us again on your next visit to Adelaide.

Sydney
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Mixed reviews so decided to stay for just one night. Wish we'd stayed there on our other nights that we were in Adelaide. Nice location. Very convenient having free undercover parking. Great carpeted suite - perfect for crawling baby. Yeah, noisy outside but it quietened down come bedtime. Spacious, comfortable and clean. Booked thru the Entertainment Book so good value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Greg_Vaughton, Manager at Majestic Old Lion Apartments, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear TravelBittenSaffer

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our apartments to meet your family’s needs. I look forward to having you stay with us again.

Perth
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Don't like to be negative when reviewing unless really standout but underwhelming comes to mind stayed one night in 3 bed penthouse paid near 300 it was just 3 star & very noisy in morning facing main road on a friday
I cannot say I would stay there again but it was OK, main attraction is the local pub on the corner
& lots of restaurants & fairly upmarket suburb
Hopefully they have a plan to upgrade the rooms sooner rather than later.

Room Tip: Try to find something at the back of the front units to kill the traffic noise
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear mkw61

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your comments and do hope you stay with us again.