“Disappointing”

Majestic Old Lion Apartments
Melbourne, Australia
“Disappointing”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I write this review with a sad heart to think that a place which looks really good on paper could let me down.

The Staff at the recpetion desk were very good and I take my hat off to them especially seeing I had stern works to the young man who was booking me in when he told me that there would be a 1.5% charge for using my credit card. I did ask where it was stated on there web site or when I made a booking. He couldn't answer it. The next morning I challenged the manager who again could only say that they usually tell people as they are checking in. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Don't offer credit card payments.

The room had been freshly painted, some new furniture, television and bed. Very comfortable lounge and bed. Some of the appliances in the kitchen looked a little sad. I found the extra blanket in a cupboard in lounge. The wardbrobe has no door on it so I felt as if I was looking at a mess in a cupboard. Strange.

The bathroom was clean but the basin was behind the door so if you wanted to use the mirror, you had to close the door. The toilet bowl could have been cleaned but it wasn't. The show head look as if it could have fallen down any second as there was a drip coming from the join and I could see the corsion on it. All the taps in the place are old and need to be replaced.

I found the noise from next door and the halls was alarming. I really didn't want to here people slamming doors as they come home and the people's conversations coming through the walls. I really didn't like the fact the hallways were open without an outside door.

The place is not worth the money money and I would have to think very hard before I stayed there again.

Room Tip: To get away from the traffic noise, ask for a room at the back of the property and upstairs on the t...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Greg_Vaughton, Manager at Majestic Old Lion Apartments, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Dear Ann-Maree R
I appreciate the comments you have made about our property. I am glad you found some positives from your experience with us but will address the areas that did not live up to you expectations. Firstly we have addressed the slamming door issue by installing new door closing mechanisms where required. We have also now completed a refurbishment of the property addressing areas like the bathrooms, fresh paint and new King Size beds throughout.
And finally regarding the credit card surcharge. In addition to the surcharge being mentioned on booking paperwork we have also updated our website to reflect this additional charge on the bookings information page to help avoid any confusion.
We would love to have you stay with us again and experience our recent improvements first hand.
And once again thank you for your comments.

Greg Vaughton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Australia
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Booking for the first night was messed up leaving us on the street at 11pm with nowhere to stay and no assistance. When we got in two nights later the family from NZ was up till all hours. The walls are like they are paper thin. We could hear cars in the carpark, showers and toilets upstairs. Room was very modern. Maybe it is just the ground floor. Possibly try for a top floor to avoid the problem. Plenty of popular places to eat nearby. Parking appears to be very secure.

• Stayed October 2011
Dear Matt_kal
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our property. It was disappointing to hear of inconvenience caused upon your arrival. Our staff are onsite up until 11:00pm and outside these hours can be contacted via an intercom located outside the reception area. I am pleased you found the room and location to your liking and hope to have you stay with us again.

southampton
Reviewed October 22, 2011

Friendly reception staff but only during core hours. Big rooms with washers driers etc, seemed to be equipped ok(i didnt need any of this) secure parking very good location. Broadband is wired only with some numpty limit which immediately exceed, so agree its bad. Rooms facing walkways very noisy at night, so in summary it depends on what you are after.

• Stayed October 2011
Greg_Vaughton, Manager at Majestic Old Lion Apartments, responded to this review, November 10, 2011
Dear softywalter

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our property, I appreciate your comments about the friendly reception staff and yes it should be noted that our reception is available from 07.00am to 11.00pm. If required our staff are available outside these hours via an intercom located outside our reception area. In response to your comment about our broadband limit we have addressed this based on your feedback and increased our limit by 50%. Once again I appreciate your comments and hope to have you stay with us again.

Reviewed August 25, 2011

We had booked here for a few nights but left as early as we could after one. The first thing that hits you is a musty nursing home smell as you enter, the fluorescent lights and cheap and dilapidated furnishing and grimy curtains. out the window we had a view of barbed wire and a carpark. it looked like a prison cell. the portacot we asked for was filthy and ripped, the kithen floor was utterly disgusting and my feet stuck to it, and everything i touched felt sticky from years of no cleaning. everything in the flat was uniformly of the cheapest and flimsiest quality, the kettle nearly burnt my hand off with boiling water going all directions when i tried to pour a cup of tea, the lamps were rickety and leaned at a 20 degree angle, you couldnt even sit on the couch because it was broken, the bed was lumpy and creaky and the tv was 1990s vintage. on top of all this the bathroom made me want to retch with a nauseating blocked drain smell. i dont expect or want luxury but at the least i want clean and functional. this was one of the dirtiest places i have ever stayed. DO NOT STAY HERE

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank neonmeate2
Queensland
Reviewed August 12, 2011

This place was fantastic so close to the Adelaide zoo you can walk.
Great choice of eateries all very close & very reasonably priced.
Loved the rooms, good sized with all amenities you need when away from home. Friendly helpful staff to make staying here a pleasure. Bus service vertually at the door, very regular into town.
This was our first trip to Adelaide so we arranged to do tours & tour buses were able to collect from apartment.
Would definately stay here again. Majestic Old Lion was recommended to us by ex Adelaide friends whom their parents stayed there whenever visiting. Good recommendation.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SmileyQueensland
Darwin
Reviewed April 2, 2011

I booked this apartment for a week in March, before I read the reviews on this site. After I read them, I started to panic about my booking and nearly cancelled. However, I decided to stay and was not disappointed as some of the Trip Advisor members.

The check in was very quick and easy, I found the staff very friendly and helpful toward out-of-towners. The room was clean and provided every item you would expect. All the appliances were clean and in working order. All the disposable toilettries were available in the bathroom/laundry. The linen was clean, with additional linen available in the room.

The car park was well lit at night and I did not find that it smelt at all. Although I was positioned on the side of the hotel closest to the Old Lion Pub, I did not find it to be noisy. I also did not hear the garbage trucks in the early hours.

This spot is fantastic for its locality to Adelaide city, the Zoo, boutique shopping and dining out. The hotel does have room service with food, however, I believe most of the menu is just from the local restaurants on Melbourne Street and I would recommend just walking up the road to place your order. It will save you 25% off the bill.

The only negative comment I have about these apartments is that there is no room service on a Sunday. Other than that, great location, great apartments. I would visit again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank MalCarmTalie
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 22, 2010

One the plus side this property is well located and has a beautifully sculptured garden. Everything else is sub-standard.

The property is old and poorly maintained. Sweeping the dirty stairwells is not a priority. The shower pressure is "dribble" (don't wash your hair if you want to wash out the shampoo). Hangers are a few old bent wire hangers left over from someones dry-cleaning. The electric kettle was vintage and room amenities were virtually non-existant. It's over-priced at any price and was bad enough for me to avoid anything managed by Majestic.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business