“Comfortable hotel and good location”

Stamford Plaza Adelaide
Ranked #14 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed February 9, 2010

The staff at the Stamford Plaza Adelaide were professional and polite so no complaints about the service. However, we did almost get charged a small minibar charge even though we didn't take anything out of it, but thankfully the issue was resolved when we brought it to the attention of the staff and the charge was reversed off my credit card.

The room was of a good standard. It had contemporary decor and was rather spacious too (for a city hotel). The room had a functioning TV with Foxtel and was clean.

The hotel is located on North Terrace which is near a lot of Adelaide's prominent buildings, such as South Australia's Parliament House (which we had a good view of from our window) - it was also close by to the train station and casino. A free bus that drives around Adelaide's CBD stops nearby the hotel as well, so in terms of location, it's probably one of the better hotels.

We didn't take advantage of many of their amenities but like any good 5-star hotel it had room service, wireless internet and a swimming pool. We did try a buffet breakfast and while it was pretty good the price was steep (about $30pp).

What I liked best about this hotel is the creature comforts you expect from a 5-star hotel and its location. Not so good is the usual price of the rooms (although we were lucky enough to get a great deal on it this time around) .

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
GrahamSPA, Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2010

I very much appreciate your comments regarding the staff's professionalism and politeness. Although not pleased with the error, I was also happy that your incorrect mini bar charge was promptly dealt with.

As you mentioned, the Hotel is in a good location close to the train station and casino.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Area General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,541)

Reviewed January 30, 2010

Stayed for 2 nights in a superior room on the 18th floor. Was surprised but pleased to be able to check in at 8am when I arrived from Canberra. The room was pleasant and a decent size. The bed was excellent and very comfortable (appeared to be quite new). Bathroom was adequate. Lifts were slow although to be fair there was a sign to say they were upgrading the third lift.

My only complaint was the in room broadband internet connection. I wasted $25 trying to connect to the office. In frustration I called the help desk and was connected to an international call centre. I'm no slouch when it comes to computers and in my opinion, the operator had no idea how to provide assistance over the telephone. In the end I gave up. Not good enough for a business hotel. If you're travelling on business, give yourself plenty of time to check out in the morning. The queue was long when I went out for breakfast at 8am and longer when I checked out at 8.40 am.

Limited all day dining inroom menu. Charges for room service delivery. Don't know why they bother with it to be honest.

Would I stay again? Yes, but only if I wasn't desperate to use the internet.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 29, 2010

We chose this hotel because of the 5 star rated hotels in Adelaide, the Stamford was considerably cheaper. We had also not been to Adelaide before so weren't familiar with any of the hotels from the outset.

On the whole we were very impressed with our stay. The hotel was in a fantastic location on North Terrace, the breakfast was good and the staff were genuinely friendly. The obvious thing about this hotel is that it could do with a bit of a refurbishment. The common areas look like they haven't been touched since the late 1980's. Whilst my partner and I were lucky in that our room had been recently updated, some people in our group got a room that hadn't was quite dawdy.

All in all, you get what you pay for, and it was still great value for what it was.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
GrahamSPA, Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2010

Thank you so much for your comments regarding your recent stay. It was pleasing to read that overall you were impressed with your stay and that you enjoyed the central location and friendly service from the staff. The Hotel is progressing with refurbishment of our guest facilities including LCD televisions and an upgrade of our guest lifts.

We hope that you stay again at our hotel!

Reviewed January 26, 2010

I stayed in an executive floor room and that was the 1st mistake. My room was exactly the same as a friends deluxe room. The executive "lounge" is a dark and dingy bar on the ground floor and there is no reason to be there.

Room is a decent 4 star standard with a 20 year old tv. Recently renovated and oddly had a notice board on the wall? The lobby and common areas are 20 years old and were probably once 5 star. Now they are old and in need of something.

Staff were obviously short staffed and apart from the concierge werent at all knowledgable or particularily helpful.

Walked through all 3 restaurants looking for dinner and all were empty and looking a bit tired and dirty. Not at all inviting. Breakfast was as expected - no surprises good or bad.

At $150 it would be worth while if you were looking for a 4 star city hotel. If the rates are any more I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank sydney888
GrahamSPA, Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2010

Your comments are important to us and will assist to improve our services and facilities. I’m sorry to hear that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. I am pleased to advise that we will be installing LCD televisions into our guest rooms in the very near future.

Please also accept my apologies for the level of service and inconvenience caused during your stay and I hope that we may welcome you again to the Hotel.

Reviewed January 13, 2010

The BEST part of this hotel is hand down the staff. Reception & Concierge are always warm and love to have a joke, unlike a lot of places where staff are stiff and cold. A great mix of personalities.

Managers are always more than helpful if you have a special request are always try their hardest to make your stay that more enjoyable.

The only thing that i could fault is the $4 charge for a bucket of ice and the tacky pin boards in the room.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind comments. I would have to agree that we have a friendly team of staff that are warm and welcoming and will go above and beyond to make your stay more enjoyable.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Stamford Plaza Adelaide.

Area General Manage

Reviewed January 12, 2010

My job has seen me visiting Adelaide 22 nights a month since April 2009, earlier on during this period I have stayed in the "other" supposed quality hotels in Adelaide. Since July 2009 The Stamford Plaza Hotel has been my home away from home. The hotel sits back elegantly, overlooking the SA Parliament, the Casino and local parklands. It is a brief 2 minute stroll from the city centre and a short ten minute drive from the airport.
You are always met at the door or your car by one of the many willing concierge staff who look after valet parking your and your luggage.
The reception and entrance area of the hotel is reminiscent of the grandeur people expected in days gone by with welcoming reception staff to greet you.
The rooms are tastefully decorated, large in comparison to some, with the usual compliment of tv , dvd, cd player, internet, mini bar and the excellent air con, a desk completes the ensemble.
The rooms are available with a shower, or a spa and a shower.
The selection and quality of meals available via the two in-house restaurants is excellent, catering for all needs, all of the meals are available for room service too. The hotel has an excellent gym, sauna and spa adjacent to the roof top swimming pool.
I would agree that there are other hotels in the locale with similar facilities,but, what sets the Stamford Plaza head and shoulder above the others is the Staff.From the concierge staff, the reception staff, the room service staff to the waitress staff and the management they work tirelessly to convince you that you are their most important cutomer,nothing is too much trouble. Generally a good indication of how people perform is when things go wrong, and of course mistakes are made, but at the Stamford any concern is treated quickly fixed quickly and followed up quickly to your satisfaction.

I wouldnt choose anywhere else to stay.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business

I am delighted to hear that the Stamford Plaza Adelaide is your preferred hotel in Adelaide. We take pride in our hotel product and are very proud with our staff's ability to welcome back regular guests in order to create 'a home away from home'.

We truly look forward to seeing you again soon.

Area General Manag

Reviewed January 10, 2010

This hotel was in an ideal location. The tram is directly outside the door which brings you straight to the beach in Glenelg. The hotel room was fine-standard enough but had every thing we needed. Buffet breakfast was very expensive so I'd advise a short walk into the city for a breakfast alfresco. Would definitely stay again, however the pool isn't great!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo

Thank you for your time and comments.

As you mentioned, directly outside our hotel there is a tram stop which regularly departs to Glenelg for those perfect Adelaide summer days, where there is no better place to be than the beach.

We hope you will return to the Stamford Plaza Adelaide in the near future.