“Great service terrible room!”

Stamford Plaza Adelaide
Ranked #14 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Spent the clipsal 500 staying on level 19 which I thought would be awesome until I got into the room and heard the continual noise from the lift! Bed was good and comfortable pillows were terrible!

On check out I explained my concern and got a polite smile and ok thanks ill get my manager to give you a call! To my suprise that call never happened! Probably heading back to the mantra next year I think!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Hi Russell K,

Thank you for your review and apologies for the issues that disrupted your stay. We have since arranged new lift bearings and are pleased to report the noise issues have ceased. Although I'm glad to hear that the bed was comfortable, it's disappointing you weren't satisfied with the quality of pillows. In the future we are looking at implementing a pillow menu to ensure bedding is suited to guests.

In regards to you not receiving a call back, I do apologise and have raised the issue with the front desk who are implementing procedures to ensure it does not get missed again. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Stamford Plaza and encourage you to contact me directly when you visit us again so that I can make certain your stay is a pleasant one.

Olivia Harvey
Executive Assistant Manager, Stamford Plaza Adelaide

Write a ReviewReviews (2,659)

Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Rather old and charming hotel, with cavernous spaces, a clubby feel and well positioned, reminding me of an Adelaide now rather past. However I was charged $30 for mini bar that I did not use, suddenly on leaving after a four night stay.The desk clerk advised me that they would investigate but I have heard nothing: beware.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Loppre
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Dear Loppre,
You are right – the position of the hotel is second to none! We are currently concluding extensive refurbishment programs to public areas, guest rooms as well as Food & Beverage areas! We are mindful to retain the charm of the hotel in this process and also ensure and facilities offered are at the highest level!
Apologise for the error in the accounting of Mini Bar and please let me know direct on karlunterfrauner@stamford.com.au if this has not been addressed.

We look forward to welcome you back to Stamford Plaza Adelaide soon!

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Stayed 2 nights last week and this was improved from my last visit 2 years ago. On my last visit I had found the room dirty like the last reviewer but on this occasion my room appeared freshly renovated, was spacious and clean. The renovations in the lobby should also improve the experience. The buffet breakfast was adequate but on the Friday morning at 7 no one cooking fresh eggs which was disappointing.
Easy walk to Rundle mall and restaurants of Weymouth St which is a bonus

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Jennifer95_11

Dear Jennifer95_11,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay! I am very pleased to hear you were satisfied with the condition of your room and that we were able to improve on your previous visit. Thank you also for your comments regarding our refurbishment and you will be pleased to know we are in the final stages of this process and we are very happy with the results.

Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

I was quite disappointed with my stay this time with Stamford Plaza in Adelaide. The room I was in (on the 16th floor), it was really dusty (not sure when it was properly clean last). The hotel was under renovation, it was 7am and I could heard banging noises so had to get up from my sleep. The hotelier came in twice into my room when I was in there although I said 'hold on' and he and she just walked in straight. Lastly the breakfast was horrible. The scrambled egg looked like someone vomit. I am really disappointed with my stay this time and I would not recommend this to anymore. The standard here us definitely not 5 stars as what it used to be.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Barry T
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear Bauie B,

Thank you for your feedback as it allows us to see where we can improve the operations of the hotel. Please be assured that your experiences are certainly not reflective of the standards we hold ourselves to and we have addressed the issues of breakfast quality, cleanliness and staff entering rooms with the relevant department managers, who will investigate these with their team and make the necessary improvements.

The Stamford Plaza has been undergoing a significant refurbishment, and we are pleased that the majority of this is now complete. We are very regretful that you encountered building noise but this should no longer be an issue for guests. Please advise me if you do decide to stay with the Stamford Plaza again and I will ensure your stay is a pleasant one.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Just got back from a stay at The Stamford Plaza while they were under refurbishment. Whilst the description said newly refurbished rooms they forgot to mention the place was still under contstruction with work men everywhere in the foyer dust everywhere and wernt able to sit on the couches whilst waiting in the foyer. Rooms are still pretty ordinary considering theyve just been refurbished and the amount you pay however did not hear any of the noise from work going on so that was good. All in all would have been a pretty ordinary stay but was saved by some great staff members. A young lad Adam on check in engaged in conversation and made you feel welcome not like hes just doing it because he has to and Alex in concierge was fantastic making you feel welcome everytime he seen you and happy to assist with anything you needed. Bed was super comfy but bathrooms very small which is quite diappointing for a hotel this expensive.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank ana m

Dear ana m,

Thank you for your feedback! You will be pleased to know the lobby is in its final stages of refurbishment and we have reinstated the comfortable seating areas. I am delighted to hear your comments regarding Alex and Adam, we pride ourselves on excellent service and they will be commended on their work.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Checking in at 1am I appreciated the 11am check out time as well as the black out curtains. Sadly as I was only there for 10 hours I didn't get to use any of the facilities (pool, bar etc). My room was clean, quiet and comfortable. Some aspects were a little tired and the shower was awkward to switch from bath taps to shower taps but overall a pleasant, if not too short, stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Sarah G
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Dear Sarah G,

I am delighted to read that your stay was a pleasant one! On your next visit we'll boast a brand new lobby and a fantastic new Restaurant!

The team and I hope to be able to welcome you back soon to the Stamford Plaza Adelaide.

Best regards

Like us on Facebook l Follow us on Twitter

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Visited hotel for 3 nights whilst catching up with friends.

I managed a wotif deal which was on par with the price for lower rated 3 star hotels!

I was lucky enough to have arrived just in time for the launch of fringe festival. This hotel was in perfect location for Fringe parade, Mall, convention centre and even the central markets.

Staff were nice and efficient.
Rooms are clean and tidy and the bed was the most comfortable I have slept in.
I did not experience the noise complaints others have noted.

Minibar fridge was overly enthusiastic even freezing several bottles of beer, water etc. (One exploded and I was thankful to not be charged for the incident).

I didnt use any of the bars, cafe on site as the location is so close to affordable eateries, I had a great time eating my way around the city.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Dear 2tubbycats
I am delighted that you had a great stay and made the most of our location as it is ideally located within walking distance of various iconic CBD features. I appreciate your comments relating to our staff as this is what sets us apart from other hotels.
I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Stamford Plaza Adelaide in the near future.
Kind regards