“Good value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 58 Hotels in Adelaide
Melbourne, Australia
“Good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2008

I stayed here for 2 nights in August 2008, for business. I booked a standard room on a last minute web site and paid $140 a night for the room and a full buffet breakfast. This same rate applied for 2 people.

This is a self rated 5 star hotel. I have stayed in a lot of hotels and in my opinion it is a good 4 star, not 5 star.

The rooms are clean, if a little tired, especially the bathrooms. The rooms are a good size.

My TV volume was not working and this was fixed quickly when pointed out.

If they want to be 5 star they need to upgrade their rooms (better bathrooms, plasmas etc.) and do the little extras such as improving the complimentry amenities.

The staff were all lovely and helpful. If you book online make sure you take your receipt as they had me down for room only, but quickly changed it when I showed them my receipt that stated breakfast was included too.

The location is excellent for getting around Adelaide.

Would stay here again for the same rate.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Flipfeet11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Meningie, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2008

I stayed there or 1 night as a romantic getaway with the girlfriend.
We stayed in the spa suite (room 815). It was very nice, big spa bath, foxtel, kingsize bed, dining table, dvd player and sofa lounge. The downside was the only view from room was straight into the building next door!!
The hotel itself has a heated pool on rooftop, sauna and a workable gym- all on roof top.
We had the Friday night seafood smorgasboard at BG's which cost $49.90 each, quite nice but I wish it included crayfish!!
Breakfast was included in my package, as was a morning paper and valet parking. I think all cost $280 minus the dinner.
Very nice staff!!

• Liked — Spa in room
  • Disliked — Price a bit steep, view from my room was of another building!!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WazzaTroy
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2008

Knowing the wonderful quality at the Sir Stamford in Sydney I was really looking forward to staying here in Adelaide, but I was disappointed.

Obviously we would all prefer not to have a view of the nearby car park, but I did have a cheap room through a conference booking. My real problem was that the room was so dark with very poorly laid out lighting. I also don't expect to see mould in a hotel bath - pretty easy to spray away if you can be bothered.

I was also disappointed that I had to ask 3 times for materials that had been couriered to me to be brought up to my room.

What I did like - the breakfast was wonderful, and I love the charts on the table with a colour coded health rating. I must admit I completely ignored it and loved the omelette station. Also - learn to wave madly to get the attention of staff walking around with coffee.

The big problem - I was there for four days and the aroma as you entered the lobby was foul. Apparently a burst pipe somewhere, but no information given about its repair.

• Stayed May 2008
5 Thank kangagirl
Hervey Bay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2008

My husband and i stayed at the Stamford Plaza for three nights last week, enjoyed the stay. Room was not too flash but was comfortable enough, with a bathrobe and slippers, nice soft towels and the bed comfortable. We were on the 19th floor overlooking the side which the views at night were great with the all the lights sparkling, we could even see Glenelg. By day there was a carpark and lots of highrises. The best part was the buffet breakfast, lots to choose from, fresh and great service. Also the location was superb, train station, bus stop and tram stop just down the road and a short walk to Rundle Mall. We had a nice meal also at the Strathmore Hotel just down the road. Would stay there again if we got the same deal on wotif. Holiday special for $165.00 night with breakfast included.

• Liked — The buffet breakfast
  • Disliked — The side views of the hotel
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Noels43