“Winter weekend escape treat”

Stamford Plaza Adelaide
Ranked #13 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Adelaide
“Winter weekend escape treat”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We recently shopped around for a special night out and found the Winter Warmer special with paid parking and buffet breakfast at an excellent rate at the Stamford Grand. On arrival we were made to feel special with directions to the car park and an offer to carry our bags inside. Reception staff kindly upgraded our room so we were looking over Parliament House. Our room was superb and while the bathroom will need some upgrading soon, the facilities and cleanliness were top quality. We took a trip up to check out the pool, spa and gym and wished we had more time than just one night to enjoy them. The buffet breakfast was fantastic and staff service was excellent. Only regret was we could not have arrived earlier to check in and stay and enjoy the restaurant for dinner instead of dining out elsewhere with friends as prearranged. The late 11am checkout was also great, all in all a fantastic winter getaway!

Room Tip: A room overlooking North Terrace is great
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marianne G
Carl F, Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Marianne G

Carl Forrest

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Disapointed with this hotel ,at check in i was given keycard to room and told what floor was then left to carry bag room and find our own way there ,service was non existant , the room was clean and tidy and comfortable enough but everything was well overpriced including $5.50 for a small bottle of water ,for price of the room i would think that water would be free ,in general i found it overpriced and the service lacking badly

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vincent b
Dear vincent b

We have taken measures since your review to ensure we provide a good customer expoerience with our lobby teams.

Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I frequently stay in Adelaide and my last stay at the Plaza was the best one yet. Not sure if there has been a change in Management or something but there seems to have been a noticeable increase in the service level. (And it used to be pretty good anyway.) All of the staff that I encountered on this visit went out of their way to ensure friendly, personable service. It has been noted.

From the concierge that parked my car without any extra charges because it was too high for the included self-parking area, to the tall young lad that checked me out this morning and made genuine enquiries as to my satisfaction with my stay.

A stand-out was the young lady "Clare" when I checked in, who was extremely efficient, helpful and friendly. She ensured that my room requests were all fulfilled exactly, the complimentary bottle of wine was delivered without prompting and made me a booking for dinner at Swish in an instant. I travel frequently and all too often things get missed, stuffed up and the staff seem somewhat jaded. Not so at the Plaza and I hope my comments get passed on. Well Done to them.

Breakfast Buffet was nice per usual and I see that they have added bacon and egg rolls - good idea. We generally get some eggs benedict made up to order and they are always good. One thing though - the muffins need to be toasted lol ;)

Now, If I had to be really critical, the only small flaws in my stay were that it took my 15 mins to get table service in the cocktail bar and the sensor light in the bathroom kept turning the lights off during my shower. No biggie and it may be because I had the bathroom door open into the room and that is where the sensor is. Oh, and the untoasted muffins! haha

Dinner at Swish was very nice and the young waitress in there with glasses was also very friendly and accommodating.

All in All an extremely good stay on this occasion and the renovated rooms are fantastic. Thankyou and keep it up! I will be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Beach8um
Dear Beach8um

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Check in was okay. The deluxe room was a very standard, basic room. The air conditioning didn’t work. Walls were thin and so we could hear the people in the next room. The room didn’t have a walk-in shower - it was an old fashioned shower over the bath. The one-touch phone buttons didn’t work. There was nothing in the hotel compendium on how to call reception. The lights in the room initially didn’t work and we had to get someone to fix that. The twin room consisted of SINGLE BEDS. The view out of the window was a brick wall! Breakfast food was basic and the hot food was only luke-warm. The best thing about the hotel was leaving.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fun2travelCanberra
Thank you for the great review. We really appreciate the time you have taken to place your comments onto Tripadvisor. We have made significant imrovements to our operation and the refurbishment works in the room are now complete. These include all our twin rooms being coverted to King Doubles.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Had a mix up with the booking date ( my fault ) the duty manager and Tayran on the desk sorted it out and i had a very good room on level 17 for the night. I have stayed in a lot of hotels lately and this is a good place to stay in Adelaide. The room was very clean and modern the air con worked well not to loud. On check out I got a refund for my mix up so i was very happy with everything. I will be staying there again as it is very handy to our Adelaide office.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Michael B
Dear Michael B

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have stayed at the Stamford a number of times as it is my works preferred hotel in Adelaide.

It is a very dated hotel showing signs of wear and tear but is currently undergoing a renovation.

I had very poor service from 3 different people, being given incorrect information, a room that did not match my booking with no recourse to correct it and errors with my charges on check out.

I checked in for a work trip on a Sunday afternoon about 11:30 AM. I wasn't expecting my room to be ready and was looking to drop my bags and head off for lunch with friends.

It had clearly been busy Saturday night and reception were very busy checking people out. The man who checked me in said that my room would be ready about 12:30 - 1 PM. He also said my room rate included internet access and that I had two beds. As I was travelling solo I asked if they were double and he confirmed they were. Happily off to a bit of shopping and lunch I went, that was about the happiest I would be.

I returned about 1:20 PM and the room was not ready. The receptionist was in training and asked me to sit in lobby while he followed up with housekeeping and he would come and grab me. About 40 mins later and clearly forgotten I went back to deck to get an update and the room was ready. He then said I hadn't asked for early check in. I said this was not the point, the guy who checked me in gave me a time and if he had been clear on the time I would have continued shopping a little longer.

I get to the room and it is my worst nightmare....on the lowest floor looking directly at the car park and air con unit. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes no so with the corporate rates. The problem however is it had two single beds ( despite what the man who checked me in advised when I asked if the beds were double/queen sized). When I complained at reception I was advised this is what my travel agent had booked and the hotel was fully booked so there was nothing that they could do.

I confirmed with the travel agent on Monday and they sent me a copy of the hotel confirmation that confirmed a queen sized bed. By now not much I could do as attending work events and had decamped.

On check out I was charged for internet (despite check in guy telling me it was in the rate)...it wasn't included so I paid but again incorrect info at check in. Car parking charges were also on the bill despite not having car parking.

Oh and I also had room service late in the night after getting back from work function...terrible.

I have stayed there many times before (the last time being a year ago) and never experienced this bad service, given it was across the board there is a desperate need for them to fix their service culture.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank DC1977
Dear DC 1977

Thank you for the review. We really appreciate the time you have taken to place your comments onto Tripadvisor. We have made significant imrovements to our operation and the refurbishment works in the room are now complete. i can assure you the service culture has improved significantly.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I thought it was decidedly average, ok the reception and service was buzzing around like they were all important but for $200 for one night I would have expected a little more to the room. It had a great outlook over the Torrens but the windows were dirty, the room was small the ceiling was low, the air con didn't work we cooked when we turned it down or up we had to leave it somewhere in the middle, the bathroom had the shower over the bath with a shower curtain and was extremely pokey with the toilet crammed in as well. Bottle of bubbly on arrival couldn't even fit in the fridge and was left on the desk not even in an ice bucket, all the items from the minibar were priced way over the top. We got in early for breakfast in the morning which was just as well as we were leaving the line for the breakfast was about 40 people waiting, very poorly managed. The food it's self was great. Valet parking but had to ask for our car half an hour before we needed it because they were running behind. Others that we new that were also staying there had their car broken into so not that secure...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank This_is_Beth
Dear This_is_beth

Thank you for the review. We really appreciate the time you have taken to place your comments onto Tripadvisor. We have compelted our room refubishment. We have also made significant imrovements to our operation to overcome the compression periods in Breakfast when everyone comes at once.

regards