“Excellent Staff, Well sound proofed rooms, great view”

Stamford Plaza Adelaide
Ranked #15 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Having stayed here myself in December 2011 I booked the hotel for a special holiday for my parents who were visting from Perth. The hotel offered a good deal of 25% off and buffet breakfast included for a stay of 4 nights (which included a weekend stay) which swayed me to book the Stamford for them.

It was good value and my parents thoroughly enjoyed their stay and were delighted by the friendly staff including the duty manager Felix and the cleaning staff. My parents were originally given a Superior Parkview room on the 8th floor but it had a few minor omissions and they felt(like me in December) that the bathroom decor was very tired. The hotel offered a newer and slightly larger room on the 15th floor as replacement which appeared more recently refurbished, had a nicer bathroom and an even better view overlooking Government House, Parliament and the Casino.

My parents enjoyed thier stay, which was part of a 72nd birthday present for my father, and were pleased with the central location in the heart of the city. The driveway access off North Terrace was very handy to pick up my parents for outings, especially as my mother sometimes required a wheelchair.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Scott P
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am delighted to learn that your parents had a great stay with us especially on such a special occasion. We agree that our location is ideally located within walking distance of the various iconic CBD features and a tram ride through the city’s heart is free. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service so I was pleased to read that they were delighted by the friendly staff and with the service provided. You will be pleased to note that we are undertaking a refurbishment of our guest rooms to bring them back to the level in line with a 5 star experience and works commenced 7 weeks ago. I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you and your parents back to the Stamford Plaza Adelaide in the future.
Justin Higgins

Write a ReviewReviews (2,695)

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed in the Plaza after 2 weeks in Sydney and the Gold Coast fulfilling family obligations for two days R & R. Our 13th floor room overlooked North Tce and beyond with a wonderfull view. The room was a standard type hotel room layout, comfy, clean and thanks to the added window glass, quiet. Brekky was very adequate and improved immensely once I found out I could have my eggs cooked to order. We dined friday night in the Swish restaurant, interesting watching the passing parade and wonderful food and service. We were too late for saturday lunch but the ever helpful staff gave us an in between menu which was all we needed. The location near to the Festival theatre was a big plus for us and being able to stroll around the Elder Pk area on a sunny day was a bonus. We just may have found a home away from home in the future. There were 2 weddings and another function on Saturday night making for a busy hotel which the staff seemed to handle with ease.

Room Tip: I imagine rooms higher up and facing north would be my pick.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am delighted to learn that you had a great stay with us and you enjoyed the views overlooking North Terrace. We agree that our location is ideally located near the Adelaide Festival Centre, Adelaide’s ‘arts’ heart. The centre overlooks Elder Park on the banks of the picturesque River Torrens and it is a perfect place to feed the ducks, row a boat, walk or cycle the Linear Park Trail. We appreciate your compliments on our wonderful food and service that you experienced in TG’s and Swish and are proud that you have found a home away from home. May we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the newly refurbished Stamford Plaza Adelaide some time soon.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed here for five nights to run a training course. The course went off without a hitch thanks to the staff. Ash, Pierre and Eddie were exceptional. Accommodation is a little dated but was clean and comfortable. Will certainly stay here again.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ironships

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are very thankful for your praise of the hotel as an excellent conference venue and our exceptional staff. Having a genuine team of professionals who care about the customer experience is really what makes a good hotel great. You will be pleased to note that we are currently undertaking a refurbishment of our guest rooms to bring them back to the level in line with a 5 star experience. May we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the newly refurbished Stamford Plaza Adelaide in the near future.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Went with a recommendation and booked on their own site. Found the prices competitive with other accomodation web sites and they offered free wi-fi if we booked directly. Well worth the effort I thought. They mentioned the fact I booked directly and thanked me for that!

Booking was streamlined and I got a reminder email straight away and then again 2 days beforehand confirming everything and asking if there were any special requests etc. I advised them it was our wedding anniver. and could they have some flowers in the room.

Arrived at hotel early (approx 10am) and wanted to leave luggage there. We were told the room allocated was actually ready and we had been upgraded. Nice one! Same type of room with a park view but on the 18th floor. We were impressed as the check in was fast, efficient and friendly. No flowers but a good upgrade.

Overall the stay was nice, great king size bed, clean room with everything we expected. The bathroom looked like it was given a makeover but not a complete renovation hence colours were not matching the rest of the room and the bath was old.

Bars were nice and table service at Cascades was appreciated. Seemed to be busy that night and some mistakes were made. Overall we enjoyed our stay as it was within walking distance of the various key features of the city and that great tram ride to Glenelg.

I am wanting to try their Hotel at Glenelg as it has a great position on the beach.

Room Tip: Go for a park view room as its the best option. Only one bar opened on a Sunday night so eat out. Do...
1  Thank BigGBrisbane

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are very thankful for your positive feedback on our streamlined booking service, speedy Checkin, room facilities and the table service you received in Cascades. We agree that our location is ideally located within walking distance of the various iconic CBD features and a tram ride to Glenelg, South Australia’s major beachside precinct, is an Adelaide institution. You will be pleased to note that we are currently undertaking a refurbishment of our guest rooms to bring them back to the level in line with a 5 star experience. I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the newly refurbished Stamford Plaza Adelaide in the future.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

My wife and I booked into the Stamford Grand because of it's closeness to the Adelaide Festival Theatre precinct. Our reason was that we had booked tickets for the 60th Anniversary production of Agatha Christie' s famous play, "The Mousetrap" , The play was ordinary and didn't really translate well from 1950s England to modern day Australia. However that is not the reason for this review. I am happy to say that I was impressed by the staff at the 'Plaza', from check in to check out they were courteous kind and helpful, the view from the 10th floor overlooking the Adelaide Oval and Parkland's was stunning. The buffet breakfast was a cornucopia of beautifully cooked breakfast foods and fruits. The waitress offering top ups of tea and coffee at our table was a nice touch. The rooms are a bit dated but were very comfortable. Unlike the Mousetrap there is no mystery involved in providing a pleasant stay in a hotel. Courtesy and helpfulness does it every time.

Room Tip: Rooms on North Terrace have the best views.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are very thankful for your positive feedback on the hotel, the service and staff and I was delighted to learn that your stay with us was pleasant and you enjoyed the views. We agree that the views of the Adelaide Oval and the Adelaide Festival Centre overlooking Elder Park on the banks of the picturesque River Torrens are magnificent. Thank you for the compliment on our breakfast buffet which you can be assured will be passed on to our Executive Chef. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service so I was pleased to read that you were satisfied with the service provided. We are always happy to hear that our staff were courteous, kind and helpful. I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Stamford Plaza Adelaide in the future.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Recently stayed in this hotel for a week, and even though location is great it is not what you would usually expect from a Stamford. Rooms are spacious but very old, especially bathroom, there was mold on the shower head, and chipped paint everywhere. Even though TV was a flat screen, it was the slowest ever to turn on/off or change a channel, drove me insane! Overall the stay was fine, but you can find better value for money in Adelaide.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. You will be pleased to note that we are currently undertaking a refurbishment of our guest rooms to bring them back to the level in line with a 5 star experience and works commenced seven weeks ago. I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to experience the newly refurbished Stamford Plaza Adelaide in the future where you will get value for money.

Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night and it was fine. Not up to other Stamford plaza standards. Clean rooms, friendly service. right in the city and close to the shops. Booked it at the last minute on wotif so we got a cheap deal.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank L_12_10

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I agree that we do enjoy a great location in the CBD and the visitor friendly street layout means the only decision to make is which shops to visit. You will be pleased to know that we are currently undergoing a refurbishment of various areas of the Hotel including our guest rooms to bring them back to the level in line with a 5 star experience and we are always delighted to hear that our staff are upholding our exceptional service standards. Thank you again for your comments, they are appreciated, and we look forward to welcoming you back some time soon.