“What a painful experience”

Stamford Plaza Adelaide
Ranked #14 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed May 13, 2012

i recently spent a night at the hotel. It was a painful experience.Staff looked lost, tired and disorganised.
Reception checkout was far from being prompt and efficient.
Will not come back.
Michael Wong

2  Thank James W
Phil S, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2012

Dear Mr Wong
Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey following your recent stay with us and. We appreciate your comments as they enable us to identify areas of our service and facilities that may be improved.
I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service and my apologies if this was lacking during your stay. We are also about to start the refurbishment of all our guest rooms with an aim to provide the best accommodation facilities in Adelaide and we will strive to compliment it with outstanding service.
Mr Wong, I understand that you may have some reservations about staying with us again, however we ould like to win back your confidence in us by giving us another opportunity to host you again.
kind regards

There are newer reviews for Stamford Plaza Adelaide

Reviewed May 12, 2012

We stayed here recently and I have to say this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at - 5 stars??? No way! The rooms are dated, small, bathrooms very old - no exhaust fan in them and steamy.
The room was cold - the heating is beyond basic - we still have no idea how to adjust the temperature, however it was telling us it was on max heat, and after going out for dinner for a couple of hours and leaving the heating on, we came back and the room was as cold as we left it!
The door staff were friendly enough, but others were not helpful at all. After paying $170 for the room and being under the impression that we would get a king size bed, I rang reception to be told abruptly that we had to pay an extra $30 to upgrade to a king bed!!! Customer service definitely needs some work - so after this, couldn't be bothered complaining about the rest of the problems because I knew it wouldn't be listened to!
The spread for breakfast was great, but once again service was terrible. The day we were here, it was very busy in the dining room and we couldn't even get a seat. The waiting staff tried to tell us we would be much better off in the other dining room (about 50m away - not where you really want to sit when you are having a breakfast buffet and have to keep going back and forth) so we weren't sold on that and had to wait for a table to be free for us to sit at! Maybe don't book so many people in for breakfast if you can't accommodate them??
I will never stay at this hotel again - there are a few good things going for it eg. location, some staff, breakfast food - but the customer service and poor room quality bring it down so much - stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: None!! We started in a city view deluxe room which apparently only have queen beds and paid the upgr...
2  Thank Ryan181

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. We appreciate your comments as they enable us to identify areas of our service and facilities that may be improved.
I am disappointed that you found our service to be lacking during your visit last month. Please be assured that I have addressed the issues you raised with the managers of the relevant departments including our restaurants, the Front Desk and Housekeeping. Please accept our sincere apologies and for your information we are planning for a refurbishment of our guest rooms to commence later this year and the program includes upgrading of the air-conditioning units in all rooms.
Thank you again for your time and I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Stamford Plaza Adelaide in the future.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

I stayed at the Stamford while on business in Adelaide.
The check in was efficient and was processed quickly.
Was allocated a 9th floor room, and they were really "tired" rooms and dated screaming for a immediate update.
Television remote was wonky.
Air conditioning, if you wanted some heating would make this weazing sound.
Th towels were rough and the mini bar was sparcely stocked.
Came on a Wotif deal with breakfast which was the only thing that made the stay worthwhile.
Only offered newspapers to full paying customers too!
The location was just superb in the centre of the city with entertainment across the road and Hindley Street / Rundle Mall a short walk away.
Will stay again if it a good internet deal, if you want something more, look elsewhere

Room Tip: Try Wotif to get a cheap deal, dont pay full price!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Phil S, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your recent stay with us. We appreciate your comments as they enable us to identify areas of our service and facilities that may need improving.
I was disappointed to read that the room you were allocated did not meet your expectations and agree we are need of a refurbishment and acknowledge that the décor on level 9 is not to everyone’s taste. For your information we are currently in the final planning stages for a refurbishment of our guest rooms and should see works commence within the next couple of months.
Thank you again for your feedback and I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Stamford Plaza in the near future.

Reviewed May 8, 2012

Great location and if you get a really good deal, not a bad place to stay, but there is no way this is a 5 star hotel. The rooms are old fashioned and somewhat worn. The robes are rough and old, as are the towels. The housekeeping is hit or miss. I had to chase the maid down 3 times for things she didn't bother to replace. The shower/tub combination is aweful and you'd have to be a very small person to be able to enjoy the bath tub. The fitness area is tiny and always crowded. Bottom line is if you get a really good price this is a perfectly adequate hotel, but if you are looking for 5 star luxury .. look elsewhere

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. We agree we enjoy one of the best locations in the CBD. I am pleased to say that we have undergone a few management changes recently and we are looking forward to a new direction. We will be undergoing a refurbishment to all standard rooms and various areas throughout the Hotel within the very near future, which will ensure our rooms are more suitable for the modern traveller.
We appreciate your comments as it is feedback, such as yours, which enables us to identify areas of our service and facilities that may need to be improved.

Reviewed May 8, 2012

This is a Hotel I would suggest is the most convenient place to stay
The place feels very comfortable, clean .The friendly staff make it a real pleaseure to stay
The Hotel is very central to transport,casino,Adelaide oval and all Adelaide has to offer
I would recomend to anyone

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest
Here at the Stamford Plaza Adelaide, we pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service so I was delighted to read that you rated us so highly and yes, we do enjoy one of the best locations in the CBD.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

I have stayed here before a couple of times some years ago but try to find somewhere else where possible. The rooms are adequate, the y location central and the service is what you would expect at this type of property but............the beds are just so uncomfortable that I cant get a good nights sleep. It would appear that it would only be this location, I have stayed at other Stamford Hotels and thier beds are fine, but if you have trouble sleeping on a really firm matress, wait until they replace them!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest
Please accept my sincere apologies for the restless night’s sleep you incurred due to the state of the mattresses in question. I was surprised to learn of this as we usually receive positive feedback in relation to our beds however I have passed this on to our Executive Housekeeper regarding the quality of the mattress, which will be looked at as soon as possible.
Thank you for your feedback, it is appreciated as it can help us identify areas and services in the hotel that may need improving. I trust we can welcome you back to Stamford Plaza in the near future

Reviewed May 1, 2012

Celebrating my partner's birthday the week before Christmas always proves challenging when it comes to finding a taxi home so last year we decided to avoid the queues and treat ourselves to a night in a city hotel. We managed to find an excellent deal through lastminute.com which included a room upgrade, late check out (very appreciated after our night out!) and drinks vouchers - and we were not disappointed.

I can agree with some reviews that some rooms may appear a little dated, but they're very clean, the bedding comfortable and definitely great value for money. The room upgrade was nice and offered some beautiful views across the parklands, and the Cathedral which could be viewed from our room looked stunning lit up at night.

We ordered room service for dinner and breakfast and all meals were nice, good value and delivered within a reasonable time. We visited the pool before we left and whilst not very big, it was clean and refreshing on a hot day.

The main purpose for our stay was convenience and location, but I can say that the entire stay was very enjoyable and the staff can definitely not be faulted. They were all very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Phil S, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. I was happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I agree we do enjoy a great location which is central to most nearby attractions, shopping and the like. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service so I was pleased to read that you were generally satisfied with the service provided during your stay. For your information we are in the final planning stages of a refurbishment of our guest rooms which we expect should commence within the next few months. We are always delighted to hear that our staff is upholding our exceptional service standards. Once again thank you providing us with your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Stamford Plaza in the near future.