“Great location top class”

Stamford Plaza Adelaide
Ranked #13 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Adelaide, Australia
“Great location top class”
Reviewed April 6, 2012

nice Resturant,clean tidy room with great appointments ,friendly staff,quiet room,great room service and excellent location all you could ask for and good value for what you get

• Stayed February 2012
Phil S, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback, it is appreciated. We pride ourselves on being the preferred hotel in Adelaide so I was pleased to read that you were generally satisfied with the service provided during your stay. Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back soon to Stamford Plaza.
Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Adelaide
Reviewed April 3, 2012

My wife and I stayed here recently for one night. The cocktail lounge was great with very talented pianist as entertainment. Hotel facilities were adequate (gym and pool) and the room was comfortable with a very pleasant view over looking North Terrace.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for your taking the time to provide your feedback. I am happy to announce that we have recently made our entertainers a feature of Thursday to Saturday nights. Also you may be pleased to know that we are in the final planning stages of refurbishing our guest room in the near future. Once again thank you and I hope you will find the time to experience our hospitality again and enjoy our resident pianists.
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Stayed here in mid Jan with my partner.
Were not happy with the level of service we got from the staff.
We were looked at as if we didnt belong here.
The rooms were so dated. The food was poor and the beds felt un clean and not nice to sleep on.
The pool was great and made good use of it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JackcatSydney
Dear Guest
I was disappointed to learn that your experience during your stay was not all that you expected. Here at Stamford we strive for excellency when it comes to customer service and your feedback has highlighted areas of the operation that require attention. Thank you. I am sorry that you didn’t experience all that we usually offer and for the service we like to be renown for. For your information, we are in the final planning stages of undergoing a refurbishment of various areas of the Hotel including our restaurants and guest rooms, in the near future. I am pleased that you found our pool facilities to your satisfaction. I do hope that you can bring yourself to return to the hotel to give our levels of service another try. Once again thank you for your feedback.
wandererfromLondon
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Good grief - another disappointing hotel stay in Adelaide - are there no decent hotels in this city?

I booked a 5 star hotel using wotif.com's Mystery Feature for one night on 28 March 2012. Wotif.com gave me a room at the Stamford Plaza. I arrived at around 11:30am and just wanted to drop off my bags before a meeting. I was advised by the friendly concierge to obtain my room number from reception so that my bag could be sent up. I was allocated a room on the 17th floor and I left.

I returned at 3pm and completed check-in, only this time I was given a room on the 9th floor without any explanation being offered. When I explained to the rather unhelpful receptionist that I was on the 17th floor she said 'that room's not ready'. When I reminded her that the stated check-in time was 2pm she simply said 'I don't know, hmmm, we'll need to follow that up'. I asked if my bag would be moved and she said it would. When I asked if the room I had been given would be quiet she said yes.

I went to my room and found it to be located next to the elevator machinery room. Ah yes, very quiet and peaceful. All I could hear were lifts going up and down through the wall. The view was of a dirty rooftop. The bath was so shallow that an actual 'bath' was impossible. There was also a truly bizarre noticeboard hanging on the wall with various leaflets stuck to it as though I was in a dormitory and there was a large patch of wood rot on the main TV stand that had already caused some decay.

Wotif.com describes this hotel as 5 star and describes the rooms as 'elegant'. I will allow the pictures to speak for themselves on this front.

I waited patiently for my bag so that I could change out of my suit. And I waited. And I waited longer. Then I waited some more. After 45 minutes I gave up.

I complained in person to the front desk manager and he seemed slightly bored my comments. He moved me to a higher floor where the room was quieter and the Wood Rot had not yet taken hold of the TV stand. My bag materialised and I had a depressing shower in the little, not-so-elegant bathroom.

The next morning I had breakfast in the grim, Sizzler-like restaurant where I discovered the world's smallest, teeny-tiny little thimble-glasses for my orange juice. Ridiculous.

This hotel is an embarrassment to the people of Adelaide. The interior appears to have been designed by someone who has a morbid fascination with brown and shiny brass. If my partner whisked me away here for a romantic getaway I would file for divorce before the porter had time to bring my bags to the room. Based on this stay that would give me about an hour.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank DaveinMelbourne
Dear Guest
Thank you for your candid feedback. I was obviously disappointed to learn of your experience and it fell well short of your expectations. I can advise that we have undergone a recent management restructure and if you do return to the Stamford Plaza you should see a vast improvement in our service standards. For your information we are in the final planning stages of undergoing a refurbishment of our guest rooms and other facilities in the Hotel. We should see commencement of these works within the next few months.Once again thank you for your comments and trust that could welcome you back to us again in the near future.
Melbourne
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Great location but the rooms are worse than most 3 star motor inns and are in serious need of renovation.
Service and bars, restaurants good though.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank bomberfan01
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback, it is appreciated. I was disappointed to learn that your experience during your stay was not all that you expected. For your information, we are in the final stages and working towards undergoing a refurbishment of various areas of the Hotel including our guest rooms to bring them back to the level in line with a 5 star experience. I trust we can welcome you back again soon.
Sydney
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Stayed in mid Jan, paid $140 per night through Hotelclub, booked Queeen bed but it came back as twin singles, this will be taken up with hotelclub.
Booked Superior room, though it should be tittled inferior room, overlooking North Terrace, room ready on arrival, but at level 5 there is no view, the room was very dated, very 1980's, furnishings were so old, a soft refurbishment of bed linen and carpet can't hide old furniture.
I arrived early and room was ready on arrival, by 4pm I knew I could not stay in this room and I went down to Reception to inquire about upgrading, for an extra $40 per night I moved several floors up to an Executive Queen room, with new decor and a stunning view over the river and parklands, it included breakfast in the restaurant as the Executive club was closed being the school holidays.
The main restaurant for breakfast was good but no information on service, you get the initial pouring of coffee, but no info re get it yourself from the auto coffee dispenser opposite the buffet, the restaurant was always in good order over my stay, which I wonder why they can't keep pouring coffee, if not tell the customers about the coffee station, but then if you claim to be 5 star, then you don't have self service coffee station, waiters bring the coffee to you.
The lobby is of the same standard as the Superior rooms, there is a very nice restaurant above the breakfast restaurant but it turns into a divey night club in the evening and does not look at all attractive.
The staff at every point of contact were first rate. I would stay here again, but only if the room rate was better suited to the product. I believe you can do better for price in ADL.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking North Terrace, even if you are in a cheaper lower floor room at least you...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback. I was disappointed to learn that your experience during your stay was not all that you expected. When booking through third party websites, you may be aware, there is an option of a bedding request that is only a request for that specific type of room that is booked, however I was happy to hear that you were able to upgrade to one of our executive rooms. For your information, we are working towards undergoing a refurbishment of various areas of the Hotel including our guest rooms to bring them back to the level in line with a 5 star experience. If you decide to book again I recommend booking directly through our Stamford website as we offer the comparable and at times lower rates and packages than over third party websites such as Wotif and Quickbeds. Once again thank you for your feedback and trust that we may welcome you back to Stamford Plaza Adelaide
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Stayed just the one night after flying in from another state. The staff were great, helpful and professional.
Had trouble parking our Hilux in the car park as the roof was too low so had to pay the $26 for Valet.
The room was a decent size, but expected a little bit more. We only had one towel in our room and the bathroom was a bit average, shower over bath and the water seemed to go everywhere. Comfortable bed. Had a city view,which was a bit more like a carpark view but we were only there the on night.
Staff were the highlight.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
RajKakarla, Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Stamford Plaza Adelaide. As a standard, there should be a minimum of 2 towels in each room and my apologies that there was 1 less in your room. The comments have been forwarded to our housekeeping team to avoid a recurrence. We do appreciate your feedback of the service and as you recognized, our staff are our true assests and they endeavour to give the best service to our guests at all times. Our refurbishment program includes updating the bathroom and am sure that you will see a notable diffrerence in the presentation of the rooms next time you stay with us.
Looking forward to your next experience with us.

Raj Kakarla