Adelaide is a strange place. We drove from the Grampians - all 500km of the mostly straight road and were trying to drop our car at the airport. After one sign to the airport on the edge of town we never saw another! We ended up asking directions when we filled the car up with fuel - what is it with Oz and road signs?
The other odd thing about Adelaide is how the town is not making the best of itself. It has some areas of great charm, a fantastic Central Market with farmer and organic products and some lovely Victorian architecture - but most of the nicest buildings are run down and many occupied by adult shops or scruffy bars. With some thoughtful planning and restoration, the place could be great.
Anyway - the Sebel was a last minute booking when we changed our plans and was a good place to spend our final night in Australia. It is well situated in the centre of town and is apparently a reasonably new building. You wouldn't think so as it looks like an Art Deco hotel from the 1930s.
The room we had was excellent value for a two room spa suite - kitchen area, sitting room, big comfy bed and good sized bathroom with free standing shower and corner jacuzzi.
Downstairs there is a nice bar serving good, well priced snacks and light meals which seemed very popular with local business people. There is a main restaurant which we only used for breakfast - which was very good indeed.
All the staff were young and friendly, and mostly very efficient, especially given that there was a major conference on in town as well.
On leaving - a taxi was summoned quickly and we were on our way with a friendly good bye.
If you need to stay in Adelaide - try the Sebel - given the size of the Hyatt across the road you will get a much more personal service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Playford, MGallery by Sofitel, is a boutique five-star hotel located in the heart of Adelaide on the vibrant North Terrace. Offering the perfect blend of classical style and contemporary luxury, the stunning Art Nouveau ambience flows through all 182 beautifully appointed guestrooms, studio spa suites and New York style loft suites. 24-hour guest facilities include a fully equipped Health Club with indoor heated pool, spa and sauna, business centre and guest laundry. Located only 9km from Adelaide International Airport and ideally situated within walking distance to the Festival Theatre, Convention Centre, Adelaide Casino, Parliament House and the central business district. Recent accolades include: 'Best Luxury Accommodation' South Australian Tourism Awards 2015 with induction into the Hall of Fame 'Best Deluxe Accommodation' Australian Hotels Association Awards 2015 'Best Restaurant Accommodation Division' Australian Hotels Association Awards 2015 with induction into the Hall of Fame 'Best Restaurant in a Hotel' South Australian Restaurant and Catering Awards 2015 'Two Glass Winner' Gourmet Traveller Wine List of the Year Awards 2015 Judged Australia's Best Luxury Hotel ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Accorhotels.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your The Playford - MGallery by Sofitel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Sebel Playford Adelaide Hotel Adelaide
- Sebel Playford Adelaide
- Sebel Playford Hotel Adelaide