“Well located, Art Deco, comfortable”

The Playford - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #4 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Melbourne
“Well located, Art Deco, comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

The Sebel was very well located for conferences at the Adelaide Convention Centre across the road. The tram runs past the door, and the railway station and casino are also just across the road. The hotel is an easy walk to Rundle Mall, the river and Parklands, and some good restaurants. The hotel has nice Art Deco touches, relatively large and comfortable rooms, and a gym and heated pool in the basement. A good balance between location, comfort, style, deserving of it's no 1TripAdvisor rating. A Hertz rental car place is next door.

Room Tip: Rooms away from North Terrace may be quieter
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed staying at the Sebel Playford.

Staff were extremely helpful (going above and beyond to help us find some scrap cardboard to make a Bruce Springsteen sign)!

The food in the restaurant was excellent and service here lovely as well. Room service was also terrific. My sister and I often shared the club sandwich to save a bit of money (it is enough of a meal for two though) and they always brought us two plates.

The only flaw was a knock on the door from maintenance about fixing something in the room. We were attempting to have a nap at this point and although we did not have the "do not disturb" sign on the door, I do think it's reasonable to expect that maintenance in rooms is done when the rooms are vacant. This is a minor quibble though! The man was very polite when we said another time would be best.

I loved staying here and will do so again when in Adelaide next. Thanks Sebel Playford.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Nel20
Torquay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

The end of a road trip from Melbourne brought us to the Sebel. The first impression is a little disappointing, you enter the hotel from a side street and it almost seems as thought they didn't quite know where in the hotel to put the reception desk. I had selected this hotel for its Art Deco look but much of this was ignored by the hotel instead of promoting the wonderful features. I had also pre booked one of the best rooms in the hotel, but when shown to a room on the side I was told that if I wanted a view to the front it was available at extra cost. The room was large with the amenities you would expect but the hotel had little atmosphere. It has a very central location to the city which makes it a very convenient address, we did not use any of the facilities (bar, restaurant) the hotel just didn't work for us.

Room Tip: Try to ensure a front facing room, the side rooms are very gloomy
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here a few times & the thing I like the most is its consistency. This is one of the few places I'm happy to dispense tips to staff.
The rooms are very good, the lifts work efficiently, the bar waitressing staff are great, the restaurant food is always excellent (plus the waitress-from France- had a great knowledge of the menu & beverages!) & the general surroundings are clean & comfortable.
Just one minor downer- my wife was dropped in town earlier & despite having two bags & other various items no help was offered for carriage inside or to the room yet a younger couple with similar luggage was offered the appropriate service. She was dissapointed.
However, the rest of the stay was up to expectation. It's always pretty good value for money.
Would have given 5 stars except for the arrival issue.
This is one our favourite hotels in Australia(even if it is in our home town) so next Fringe Festival we attend we will, no doubt, be here again.
Yours, Quinno.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

Absolutely love this place! This was our second stay at the Sebel. Hubby and I stayed here for one night for a concert at the Entertainment Centre and there was a slight mix up with our booking due to a date change; we contacted them and they agreed to change our date but unfortunately it wasn't updated in the system, however our fantastic Concierge was so very helpful and had us checked in in no time at all...and in a Loft Suite at that! I wish we could've stayed longer to enjoy it more. Room service 'dinner' at 3am was delicious, and every staff member was lovely! Looking forward to our next visit :)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Houma, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

Excellent staff (very attentive Concierge Staff). Great location, also near the casino (great place to convert $), with large rooms, some daily free internet access and coffee. Great on site restaurant.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

So, arriving off an evening flight, and leaving for meetings the next morning, I wasn't too bothered about a view or the location. However I like a safe, pleasant hotel and courteous people. I got this in spades at the Sebel. On arrival the gentleman checking me in was informative, swift an polite. The room was huge, very clean, the bathroom products lovely, and the mini bar well stocked with things I might actually want.
The in-room breakfast was absolutely lovely (perfectly ripe and tasty fruit platter with other nice bits!) but on check out, after a slightly harassed lady checked me out of my room and cancelled one of my internet charges, the concierge tried to get my taxi, pre-booked, to arrive! Due to various weather issues, floods etc. it was taking a long time to get any cabs at all. He kept me chatting rather than leaving me waiting, and eventually went over and above the call of duty (as I later learned from my taxi driver) hailing a cab in the pouring rain, stopping the traffic to let it cross 3 lanes of traffic and turn around to come to get me to my meeting on time!
I felt very very happy with the service I received and will recommend this to any of my colleagues staying in Adelaide, just remember to get the taxi to come really early!

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business