“Charged Twice”

The Playford - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #4 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Upon check-in the hotel takes your credit card and puts through an initial charge which is held against your card. Upon check-out, this charge is supposed to be reversed and your actual charges billed to you. In my case, both charges were made to my credit card, so I was over billed. Luckily, we periodically check our account balance, even while traveling and when we discovered this situation immediately notified the hotel. They blamed my "bank" and said they could do nothing about the overcharge, so I was forced to dispute the charge with my credit card company. This is incredibly outrageous behavior on their part and as such, I cannot recommend staying here.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank ssgtravel
Write a ReviewReviews (2,372)

Reviewed May 2, 2013

After a long international flight and another flight from Sydney we were hopeful the Sebel Playford would be a welcoming, relaxing environment. The fabulous staff greeted us warmly initially and throughout our stay. And the concierge was fantastic with his suggestions and service. Our room was well-appointed and quiet, but no view. We didn't eat at the hotel as the menu appeared over-priced. The work-out area in the basement suited our needs. We did not swim as the pool was a little cold and in an unappealing dark room. Good central location for the hotel. Adelaide offers free bicycles across the street at the convention centre. I suggest the hotel offer it's guests Wi-Fi without a separate charge. Overall we would stay here again with no hesitation.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amy707
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I bought a deal on wotif and got a room a little cheaper, just for the night of my graduation ceremony as a bit of a treat. I wish I had saved myself the time and money because this was a disaster. When I checked in I had a little trouble sorting out which card to use as one of them bounced when I went to pay the deposit on the room - if looks could kill... the receptionist checking me in would have ground me into the floor with her eyes. every second of the check-in process was torture thanks to an extremely judgmental and better-than-thou receptionist. she made every effort to make me feel uncomfortable and then put my boyfriend and I in obviously one of their cheapest smallest rooms. I know I got the room on sale but I wasn't expecting that.
If you want to stay here you better be a high roller or at least driving an $80,000 car through the valet parking because if you're just a student getting a room on the cheap for a special occasion the receptionist is going to make sure you never want to come back again. she diminished the entire experience for me. we didn't bother staying for breakfast, no surprise there.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank nymphaelle
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband's been there 49 times & I've stayed there about 6 times. The staff are always cheerful, efficient and just plain nice. The location is excellent, near the gallery, the museum, opposite the station, and near several excellent restaurants. The breakfast is superb—arguably the best in the world—with a wide range of organic produce. I wouldn't go there for lunch, but the room service menu is very good. They also provide an excellent picnic hamper.

Room Tip: One facing north terrace—nice view & you get a balcony
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Got a great deal for 3 nights at this 5 star hotel on North Terrace. Great location and very nicely appointed hotel. Had a quiet room and nice that a twin here means 2 queen beds. However the best thing about it was the staff. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. The concierge in particular was fantastic finding and booking us a restaurant one night and recommending somewhere the next night - both were excellent. I wouldn't eat breakfast at the hotel as the buffet is very expensive but you can order individual items from the bar which is very nice and we were given a complimentary tea or coffee ticket when we checked in which worked well for next morning's breakfast. Internet charges should be done away with and the pool was a bit gloomy being in the basement and heavily chlorinated. However minor grumbles - a great stay overall

Room Tip: We had an odd numbered room which may be on the quieter side of the hotel - absolutely no view thoug...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 28, 2013

The split level loft room, the best buffet breakfast I've ever had...this hotel stay was outstanding. Would stay again and again and wish it was more than 1 night! The parking rate was very reasonable.

Room Tip: The deluxe loft on floor 7 was beyond words!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Good position, good prices and great breakfast but the staff are definitely the Sebel Playford's best asset. Friendly, helpful, nothing was too much trouble. This is the benchmark I will now mark the service at other hotels against. We also booked through wotif as a mystery deal and a normal booking and were treated like 5 star guests regardless. Thanks for a great (if short!) stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family