“Fourth stay at the Sebel Playford in say 3 months”

The Playford - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #5 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed January 3, 2013

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank maxbell16
Write a ReviewReviews (2,403)

Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at The Sebel from december 24 to december 27 2012. It was a great visit and we could not have enjoyed it more. This hotel has a perfect location in Adelaide and the service you get at this hotel is absolutly the best. We have stayed in many 5 stars hotels all over the world but almost none of them can compete with this hotel. The staff simply could not do enough for their guests. Their recommendation of restaurants was totally perfect, we ate in a wonderful greek restaurant they recommended on christmas eve and a wonderful italian restaurant the day after. The breakfast was also great. If you are going to Adelaide stay at this hotel. We are travelling around in Australia at the moment and Adelaide and The Sebel has been one of our best experiences.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Mossejente
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Not quite 5 star ( I rarely rate that high!), but still one of Adelaide's best, out of a reasonable only range. Well located on North Terrace, opposite the Casino, or easy to head north to the Barossa and Clare Valleys for the wine-lovers (and if you don't visit these places while in South Australia you need your head read!)..The Sebel group tries to be a bit more intimate than others of its ilk in Australia, and mostly succeeds. Expensive breakfast...

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights last October at the beginning of our holiday in Australia. On our way back through Adelaide we tried to stay there again but it was full. I think it often is and with good reason. I cannot remember the room which is an excellent sign because it means that there was nothing there to annoy me. I do however remember the breakfast which as many reviewers have pointed out is quite exceptional. It is not a huge spread the like of which you see in most 5-star chain hotels but what there is is of the highest quality, the best bacon, the best sausages, the best muesli, the best pastries....... Dinner is good too and the service is extremely professional and friendly - waiting staff who are proud of doing a good job - not something you find very often. Next time we are in Adelaide we will make sure we book well in advance.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marciesingapore
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here for our 1st wedding anniversary as we also had our wedding night in the same hotel. The hotel is beautiful, staff are polite and efficient, and the rooms are also lovely. However we were in a room on a lower floor on a Saturday night and the live band playing in the lounge bar could be heard until the wee hours. We also 'indulged' in breakfast the next morning, expecting a lavash feed for the price and awards the restaurant has received, but were left a little disappointed in the end. It really just felt like any other buffet style hotel breakfast. The location is superb, with Adelaide casino directly across the road and cabs are easy to find. Overall, we had a lovely time and will probably be back there again for the next anniversary.

• Stayed: October 2012
A TripAdvisor Member
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Recently spent four nights here over Xmas. The service was great from check in to check out. The restaurant is very good. I had breakfast and dinner and both were excellent. The breakfast is one of the best I have ever had. The bar area is very nice. The cocktails were very good and the service great. Having access to the gym and pool area 24hours is really great. Definitely recommend. Recommended to my sister and she has already spent two nights there since me and loved it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 29, 2012

A went to the Sebel Playford for a 2 day hiatus from my family! I got a good price online, but in future I would ask for an upgrade. I am possibly a bit spoiled, having stayed at the Burswood Complex in Perth which in my view sets the standard for 5 star accommodation. The room was nice enough, although there was a delay getting a replacement lightbulb for 1 of the lamps. I left the blown bulb and note on the bed for housekeeping to find, but they just moved it off the bed without reading the note or replacing the bulb. The concierge fixed the problem. The bed had a slope dipping to the left, a result of guests repeatedly sitting on one side of the bed. (Very common in hotels). Consequently I spend the night rolling down one side of the bed. The fridge wasn't very cold. The shower (hot and strong, with a choice of rain shower) was in a skinny bath tub. The walls are a tad thin and at times I could hear the guests next door. Little niggly things that most people wouldn't bother complaining about for a short stay. I thought $35 was a bit much for breakfast so I skipped it. (I'm not a breakfast person anyway). The pool was ok, remembering this is not a resort. Staff have been well-drilled and respond quickly and professionally to demands. For example, the concierge had a boxful of various mobile phone chargers for people (i.e. me!) who left theirs at home. For room comfort in Adelaide I prefer Crowne Plaza which costs more than the Sebel.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are ok for a standard price