“A home away from home”

The Playford - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #5 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

I'd never thought I'd say this of a hotel, cos hotels have always been just a place to stay when we're away fr home. Sure, I've stayed in hotels which provide good service, but nothing like this ...

From the moment we arrived at Playford, we were made to feel at home by the friendly staff. The concierge, manager, reception staff, waitresses, and even the non-frontline staff like the chambermaids and technicians were friendly.

An incident I'll always remember is when a technician saw me approaching main entrance, and I was pushing a stroller. He stopped whatever he was doing to open the door for me. I know this is a small thing, and most courteous people would do it, but, to me, this shows the emphasis the management places on service, and this is more than I can say for almost all the hotels I've stayed in.

I'd like to thank all the staff at Sebel Playford for making our stay there so wonderful :)

Keep up the good work!

P.S. On top of the service, the location along North Terrace was great (corner of North Terrace & Victoria St, just opposite the railway station), it's abt 10min stroll to Rundle Mall, parking was convenient. Just a note, the reception, dropoff and carpark is along Victoria St.

• Stayed: December 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (2,429)

Reviewed December 15, 2012

We spent 3 nights in the Sebel Playford, our first destination on our first trip to Australia. The staff were friendly, the breakfast possibly the best we've had anywhere and the room very comfortable. We had dinner in the restaurant and all the food was superb; imaginative, fresh and well presented.
We then went on a 48 hr tour, returning for a further two nights at the Sebel. This time we were less happy with the room, as the air conditioning was not working and there was no bedside table. these matters were not dealt with at first, but when action began we were offered an up-grade for the last night to a spacious suite. The Manager was apologetic and we were glad to have been listened to. Overall this is a very good hotel and we'd stay here again if in Adelaide.

Room Tip: The best ones are on the front, North Terrace, but more affordable ones look out on a narrow side st...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlisonS815
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I'm feeling pretty sad for Adelaide if this is it's best. Chose this hotel because Trip Advisor, the numerous awards and alleged five star rating. Perhaps my expectations were too high but I could not see why this hotel has garnered such praise and is not a five star hotel by any stretch of the imagination.
I must say the staff were very pleasant and efficient but whilst the the theme is styled to be reminiscent of the Belle Époque era sadly it looks like that was the last time they decorated and they did it badly. The charm of the original interior has been ruined by some dodgy additions such as a stage in the bar with a mirror ball and an ugly take away coffee counter / bar more suited to a dodgy nightclub than a hotel restaurant or lounge. The furniture is old and musty and the room we stayed in was 1980s motel quality.
I stayed at the Intercontinental a couple of times and that too was a trip back in time so alas It would appear Adelaide is a good hotel Ghost Town.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank SamsonNIte
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed at the Sebel for nine nights. The staff were very friendly and generally efficient and the bedroom was comfortable and well appointed. Although I was in a double room on my own drawer space scarce: I couldn't find enough room for my clothes so heaven knows how two people would have coped. The hotel breakfasts are excellent: full cooked offers exceptional variety from a self service buffet, and I enjoyed the excellent muesli with fruit yoghurt. My big gripe was the cost of connecting to the hotel's Internet / wifi / Ethernet: £10 for just two hours or £15 for a day. Most hotels that want to attract corporate business offer this service free of charge. The amount charged by the Sebel is extortionate and a complete rip off and makes it the Sebel business unfriendly: beware, corporate travellers. Our party got round the problem by strolling to a nearby cafe which provided a really fast wifi service free of charge: the nearby David Jones catering hall also offers free wifi. My only other complaint is that whenever I sent clothes to the hotel's laundry service it never arrived back at the promised time and I had to ring reception to chase it up. Otherwise a good hotel, well located, with a basement pool, gym and spa pool.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank sirth0mas
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Very good 2 night stay. My fiancee and I stayed here last week (December 2012). Comfortable and clean room; nice bed as well. Concierge service was amongst best we have ever experienced at ANY hotel we have stayed at. Kerry at the concierge desk was quite literally the finest concierge I have experienced at ANY 5-star hotel - and we've stayed at a lot of them. The rest of concierge team were also very impressive. The general bar area of the hotel is comfortable; excellent coffees as well. Overall, a very good stay. We'll be heading back again to teh Sebel Playford again in when next we visit Adelaide. Also, a very good location; everything in the city is accessible by foot. Try the Central Markets for an outstanding selection of food! Also, you can't go wrong with Rundle Mall and Rundle Street. Enjoy!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarkMarije
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This elegant hotel is a perfect choice for a few days in Adelaide. The location is excellent, close to Rundle Mall and tourist attractions. The hotel facilities are great with an indoor pool and a good size gym area. The staff are very helpful and friendly, the beds are comfortable and the restaurant is top class.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tiffanyMelbourne
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We travelled as a group staying here for a few days before heading to Mannum to go on a houseboat for 7 nights. The staff here are nothing short of amazing. The Australian Cricket team were here at the same time and the staff still attended to all our needs with smiles even though you could see they were very busy. Special shout out to Marco the Ambassador and Christophe who both made fantastic impressions on us all. The room was nice though no views but really who cares when you have the whole of the beautiful Adelaide to explore. Marco organised a golf game for the guys while us girls went shopping. Only part I wasnt happy with was it took ages to get a glass of wine in the bar one night and another day took ages to get a cocktail...yet there was hardly anyone in the bar. Great meal in the restaurant on our last night. But the main thing really was the staff from reception through to the porters. You guys are truly outstanding and carry your duties professionally with smiles and greetings for all your clients. Well done and we would love to return one day! Oh and location location location....brilliant!

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor and facing the side street, was a bit noisy Saturday night but hey im on ho...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends