“Loved It”

The Playford - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #4 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We loved our night in the Sebel. The service was excellent- personal and attentive, the art deco surroundings were stylish and breakfast was fabulous. We liked that parking was close by across the lane, and the river walk was just across North Terrace. We were upgraded from a deluxe room to a suite on arrival for a small extra charge and having a separate sitting room was quite luxurious. The only slight negative was that none of the deluxe rooms or smaller suites apparently face onto North Terrace but look onto an internal courtyard. However this didn't bother us and overall style and extremely attentive service made than made up for lack of a view. We enjoyed it and would recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,401)

Reviewed May 31, 2012

Been back to eat the restaurant here numerous times. This is one of the rare occasions of a hotel restaurant menu being comparable to menus in stand-alone restaurants, particularly in the value-for-money stakes . The food comes cooked to order, a steak ordered rare is really rare, not medium or something worse and potions have always engendered the thought, "this is good value for money".

The service is always appropriate, friendly without being over-familiar, checking the progress of the meal without being intrusive.

The ambiance is always warm and intimate and the furnishings and design all contribute to this.

HINT: The restaurant is on 2 levels and if you are placed on the lower level, ask to be placed away from the 2nd level 'wall' unless you want to have the feet of the customers, sitting on the 2nd level, next to your head.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2012

This was my 3 rd stay at the Playford and each time it has been a pleasure to come back to at night. The staff always make you feel at home and are always willing to go out of their way to assist you.
You dont feel like you are in a large hotel at all. The rooms are genourous and comfortable. Some aspects could do with a freshen up but overall I beleive it is a very good hotel.
well sittuated across the road from the casino, Entertainment Centre, railway station and Tram Stop. As this is Adelaide this means it is conveniant rather than crazy busy. The river is just a step away as well.
All in all a very pleasant place to stay great value for money,

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Overall, this is a very nice place. Good location, good rooms. I stayed in a Spa Studio. I requested a high floor with a view but got level 2 overlooking an alley. So no view at all, but was very quiet.

Breakfast buffet is very good in terms of hot food, but the cold selection is limited. Pastries and fruit especially could be improved.

Newspaper only delivered to room on 1 of my 3 nights.

This is a better property than Intercontinental across the road, but Intercontinental has the views. I would probably go with the view next time but it would be a close decision.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed in adelaide for the first time for a conference. The Sebel Playford has a beautiful old world charm and fantastic service and friendliness from all staff we encountered! The food in the restaurant was delicious and the coffee in the bar area was the beat we had while in Adelaide. The room and bathroom were very comfortable sizes. Would not hesitate to recommend this place!

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 23, 2012

All around experience was good to very good. Porters lack a 5-star rating, but got the job done. Save AUD$15 and park your own car--it's not too much trouble.

Our room the first stay was a little bit smelly, not sure if it was the air conditioner or the drains or from a once-wet carpet. It wasn't so bad that we wanted a different room, but not nice anyway. It was the second floor, all the way at the end, I believe room 210.

The second stay, on our way out of Adelaide, we got an excellent room on the 2nd floor, I think it was 206. We were satisfied all around with the room. Spacious bathroom and well working showers. There was room for a two-basin sink, but there was only one. Still quality rooms and beds.

The hotel was an island of class in Adelaide, where I can't say that for the whole town. You are steps away, though, in this hotel from all the good restaurants (and bad ones) in Adelaide. Don't go to Adelaide for the town, but if you have to, this hotel is recommendable. If you happen to get the room (rooms?) that has an odor, ask for a different one.

Room Tip: I would choose a room on the north side or on the northwest corner. The pure west side doesn't h...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EuroAmiCZ
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I stayed at the Sebel Playford with my wife and daughter for 4 nights. I had to travel to Adelaide to attend a Conference. We picked the Sebel because it was ranked 1 on Trip Advisor for Adelaide and was next door to the Convention Centre. We booked the Loft Suite which from what we could gather from their web-site was the best of the 4 room types. We compared prices through Trip Advisor and went with Booking.com, it was the cheapest and much cheaper than with the hotel direct. We paid $369 per night without Breakfast. When we arrived the hotel upgraded us (without us asking) to a "Premium Loft Suite" which they said was one of their best and located on the top floor (7th). Now let me tell you that I have been staying at hotels for many years but this was the biggest hotel room I have ever stayed at. It was massive, it was 2 levels. Downstairs it had a kitchenette (sink, microwave, little fridge, cutlery etc) a big bathroom with a shower and spa bath, a dining table, desk, coffee table, lounge, another chair and TV. Then it had a huge stairwell which took you up to the Loft and there was a King Bed and a huge room with heaps of cupboard space, wardrobe et, another desk, lounge and TV. We had views of the Convention Centre. As I was there for business I personally did not have time to use the Gym or Pool but my wife checked them out and said that they looked great. The Breakfast is awesome, they have an Organic Buffet which loads of healthy options and as my family only eat Organic Foods at home it made us feel right at home!, my only disappointment was that the Room Service Breakfast Menu was not as diverse at the Buffet but I suppose that is to be expected. The Hotel Bar is cool and I had a few Wines down there. We also ordered from the Room Service Menu a few times and it was really good but expensive, we got Eye Fillets one night and a Bottle of Red and paid $150 and my wife got the Butter Chicken and said it was really good. The staff we really good and nothing went wrong during or stay. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel if it is in your price range.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business