“Perfect location - just a little noisy”

Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley
Ranked #15 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Grand Chancellor for a weekend during January - just before Tour Down Under. It was a fantastic price and I was very happy with my booking. Knowing Adelaide as well as I do I knew to expect that as this hotel is on Hindley street it wouldn't be an overly quiet hotel. This was fine by me, as I said I got a great price - especially in the middle of January. However, if you are looking for peace and quiet, I would recommend finding out about the quieter rooms that face away from Hindley street.

Bed was VERY comfortable and the shower was AMAZING! I have not experienced a shower outside of my own home that was as good as this one! We also had a great view over the western suburbs of Adelaide which is where the beaches are and we caught a terrific thunderstorm - level 9, corner room - FANTASTIC!

The only real complaint which we understood was being dealt with was that the air conditioner was struggling to work. Even on the coolest setting it was barely felt. BEing a 40 degree day, the day we arrived this was not convenient. We spoke to reception a couple of times and they said they were getting it looked at. It wasn't fixed whilst we were there but after living in Far North Queensland the past 18 months we dealt with it and moved on. After all we were in Adelaide to see friends and family not sit on a hotel room all day.

The location is great, incredibly close to public transport, Rundle Mall and walking distance to everything else from the Zoo, the museum and many restaurants, pubs and clubs.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a good priced hotel close to everything. And if I got the right price again I would stay here.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid the nosiy pus and clubs ask for a room away from Hindley Street.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank suz182
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear suz182,

It is always a pleasure to read when our guests have enjoyed their stay. I am pleased to hear that you liked the beds and shower. The beds were selected by hotel employees when we replaced them during our upgrade of Executive Rooms.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley in the future.

Yours Sincerely

Simon de Jong

Write a ReviewReviews (2,188)

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and found the staff helpful, the facility neat and tidy and handy to everything, transport, tram, train and bus. which made it easy to get about. And I would stay there again even friend said it was the "bad" end of town. I walked to some attractions as well.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Jan T

Dear Jan T

Thank you for taking the time to express your recent stay at the Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley. We value the constructive feedback that we receive from our guests by expressing their opinions both positive and negative.

It is always a pleasure to read when our guests have enjoyed their stay by commending the staff and hotel services. It is our continual mission to anticipate and exceed the expectations of our guests.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights on 10th floor in a deluxe queen room and had hoped to unpack two suitcases but only had a small six hanger wardrobe and 2 small bedside drawers!
Found the noise very loud from live band at 11:30 when we wanted to sleep, called manager and he brought up some ear plugs! After some negotiation he agreed to move us to floor 8 on frontside and we slept well for six hours. He assured us future nights would be quiet as only noisy on Wed/Thurs.

Went down for breakfast and we had been deleted due to our move!

Well Friday night was quiet of music but noisy of thunder, but can't blame hotel off this other than double glazing would have helped?

Saturday was again noisy until 02:30 but we decided to sing along as alarm set for 06:00 as driving to ferry!

Hotel cancelled all our account extras, so we bit our tongues and headed for KI.

This hotel is for younger people who don't sleep until 2:30am and those that fancy the Cyber Sex cafe next door. Late evening drinkers will also struggle as hotel bar closed at 10pm.

Only positive I can find is the location.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yorkshire1245

Dear Yorkshire1245

I apologise that your stay was disrupted by noise from outside the Hotel. I am pleased to advise that we are currently seeking quotes for double glazing windows in guest rooms. I welcome the opportunity to discuss the progress of the project and can be contacted direct on 08 8237 3802

Once again thank you for your feedback. I trust that you enjoyed the rest of your travels in South Australia and I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley in the future for a more enjoyable experience.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Stayed at the hotel for a week in December watching the Ashes. The hotel is in a great location, a few minutes walk from Rundle Street, 10 minutes from the Oval and only a couple of minutes from the railway station.
The room was very comfy with everything you would expect. The buffet breakfast was great, just about had everything you would want from fruit and yoghurt to hot bacon and eggs etc. The fresh bread and Danish pastries were too lovely to resist with a last coffee.
The hotel had a small but nice outdoor pool and jacuzzi which was great for the early morning jet lag. There was also a gym but I didn't use it.
the hotel offered a certain amount of free wifi in the room which we used up after a few days but there was also a complimentary pc to use in the hotel lobby.
Overall I would love to go back to Adelaide and I would stay there again, would just want a better result with the cricket.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cappleton2
Reviewed January 13, 2014

The rooms are fantatic, close to cbd shopping only ten walk to get there. Close to the tram to the beach. The pool is fantastic. Good food. Tv good. Very nice people. A very good lounge area and front desk. There is a shop next door for snack stuff. Good air cond.

This is a 5 stair hotel.

Christine Merrall

Room Tip: A corner room is the best. I can see the pool from my room. Its medium large. The room 901 or...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank cam1958
Reviewed January 13, 2014

While the hotel seems a little dated in certain aspects, its decor doesn't lessen your experience, because it doesn't feel like a run down hotel and somehow still works, providing you with what you would expect in a four star hotel... A comfortable bed, a clean room and good service.

We selected the hotel based on its proximity to Adelaide Oval, which is only a nice 5-10 minute stroll away. It is also just a stones throw from Rundle Mall, Botanic Gardens, Zoo and beautiful architecture of North Terrace. So it is definitely a good location to get around Adelaide, Hindley St perhaps isn't family friendly if you plan on returning after dark however. Getting to the hotel from the airport is easy too, the J1 bus from the airport for $5 will drop you on Currie St which is a 1 minute walk to the hotel.

The room was good and very large, also for a twin room we received two queen size beds which was very nice change from the two singles most hotels provide. The beds were very comfortable, getting to sleep wasn't an issue and we didn't notice too much noise. A couple of things could improve the rooms however, firstly the lack of power points near beds made charging phones a pain and the water pressure in the shower could do with a lot of work.

The staff were always friendly and accommodated our request to check in early due to our flight arriving in the morning, which is always a nice touch. The concierge rarely seemed to be available though, that is one thing I thought was a little odd, it isn't a good look having the desk always "closed".

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank ecllyr
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Stayed for a week in December 2013.
Room & Bathroom were pleasant and we had everything we needed, although didn't eat at the hotel. The bar was nice with two Coopers ales on tap.

The location of the hotel is excellent, within easy walking distance of everything in the CBD and the Adelaide Oval, while major bus and tram stops are just a couple of minutes away.

Hindley Street itself is pretty lively, which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned, with pubs & bars open until late and plenty of noise, but this didn't effect our sleep on the 10th floor.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple