“Good Value”

Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley
Ranked #15 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for three nights Mid Febuary, The Hotel is situated within a two minute walk of the main shopping mall and Tram stops & train station. I read reviews before travelling and nearly cancelled this hotel !
I'm glad I did not cancel, the so called "Dodgey & Seedy" area comments made by other people were a little harsh and unfair, I can only imagine some people don't travel the world very much ?
There was an Adult store with Gentlmens club a few doors down the street and a couple of similar places further down the street. There were no dodgy or undesirables hanging around etc.
Lots of bars and resteraunts and shops all very close.
I was on the sixth floor so noise did not affect us, although we walked into the hotel on Friday and Saturday night at around 10.30pm and the noise was no different to any other city Center at the weekend. Also the Fringe festival was on so it was busier than normal, still a lot quiter than most citys ! We did not feel unsafe or threatened.
The resteraunts nearby are all excellent value and very clean, although Cos on Leigh St ( Next to the hotel) was expensive and average food in my opinion. Bollywood Indian also on Leigh was outstanding and so cheap !
Also take a walk down 289 Rundle St and visit the Lemongrass Thai Bistro. Excellent food and great value !
The hotel staff were friendly and helpful, the room was clean with two queen beds and was generally of acceptable standards.
I saw some photos were people complained of Mould around the taps etc ? i personally cannot understand what these people are complaining about, it is generally clean and a little bit of mould under a tap in an obscure place seems petty, im sure all our propertys are a little dirty in certain places ? again i think a little unfair, if you want 5 star add another $500 a night and find an upmarket hotel, then you can seriously expect perfection ! We paid approx $130 a night so it's cheap.
The pool and surrounding area was spotless and very quite, all the public areas were clean and quite.
Cross the street follow the road down past McDonalds to the train station and grab a 1 day travel card for $9 and take a train to port Adelaide, two different taxi drivers qouted $35-$40 and $45-$50 Bandits !
Train takes 15-20 minutes.
Once there you can take a Dolphin Cruise @ $8.00 each for two hours, and visit the Maritime Museam and Lighthouse.

Just up from the Hotel, Rundle mall tram stop. $4.90 each to travel approx 20 minutes to Glenelg lovely shops and beaches with a nice feel to the place.
To sum up I would not rush back to Adelaide as there is not enough of the things I like there but, if I did go back I would stay at The Grand Chancellor again and would recomend it to couples looking for a reasonable priced hotel in the heart of the city.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Tony20002
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear Tony20002

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you took the time to take in just some of the sights of Adelaide.

Again, thank you, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Simon de Jong

Write a ReviewReviews (2,189)

Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I booked and paid online for a 2 night special deal. This was our 30th Wedding Anniversary week-end away. Our room was very large with 2 x Queen size beds. Hotel rooms are older, but very clean. Staff were very friendly and helpful. I had been told that Hindley Street is the "Kings Cross" of Adelaide, and I can see why. Very loud with nightclubs, strip clubs etc, and the hotel seemed a bit out of place right in the middle of a dingy street. But having said that, the location is great and once you are inside the hotel an entire world opens up with lovely surrounding, large bar and meeting areas with pool and gym. The restaurant upstairs was mediocre. We found a Pancake place just up the street down a side alley and had 2 breakfasts there - yum ! We would definitely go back to this hotel and did enjoy our stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Debbie L

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at that we can look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

During a brief visit to Adelaide we stayed 2 nights at the Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley.

Upon check in we were greeted by a friendly staff member who confirmed our details before telling us about the local area.

The rooms are well kept and clean, but at night (we stayed Friday and Saturday night) there was a little bit out outside noise coming from the live band playing at the pub to the rear of the property.

Breakfast is a small buffet with freshly cooked options and very enjoyable
Location is great within walking distance to most attractions, including the shopping area, casino and the tram service.

Thanks to the staff and management for ensuring a pleasant stay

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank spiceoflifetravel
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Dear spiceoflifetravel

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that the hotel met with your expectations.

Again, thank you for your feedback, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed here from January 24th-28th, 2013. Adelaide was one of the stops on our tour of Australia. We loved the location as it was very convenient to walk to get to King William Street where we could catch a bus or tram. It was also quite close to the Rundle Mall which offered great people watching opportunities. The room was quite spacious with two queen beds and space to easily move around in the room without bumping into each other. The bathroom could use a facelift as the fixtures were a bit worn and the shower area just looked a bit dirty. The hotel staff could not have been more helpful or friendly.

One knock against this place is that in order to get wi-fi you had to go and have a drink in the bar which entitled you to receive a code for free internet for 24 hours. However, the internet could only be accessed from the bar or lobby and your code was of no use in your room.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear funinthesundenver1

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley. I appreciate the feedback that I receive from all guests and have taken note of your comments regarding our Wifi Service. I wil follow this up with our internet service provider.

Again, thank you for your comments.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We have stayed here a few times on our trips to adelaide. It good value for money, clean and the servise is good. If you have a big car i would suggest parking in the public car park next to the hotel as the guest car park is tiny.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Adventure911

Dear Adventure911

It is always a pleasure to read when our guests have enjoyed their stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Although the place looks quite tired and the bathroom shower tiles not very clean, overall we were happy with our stay. The beds are soft, but the linen is white crisp and clean. I was excited that the tv had foxtel, however I didn't get the chance to even turn it on. Take your own towel up to the pool, I didn't as I was told there was some there, but as I couldn't find them, I went back up the lift without a towel. Pool closes at 10pm, probably best to go late at night because during the day it is full of little children jumping everywhere, even into the spa. Or maybe early at 6am when it opens and the kids are sleeping. The best thing about this place is that there is a mcDonalds in very close walking distance :) The air conditioning works well. Staff were very nice and helpful. The room was spacious. We stayed there while the Fringe Festival was on (the night of the parade) and we didn't have any problems with noise, I think we were on the quiet side of the hotel thankfully. We plan to stay there on our next visit :)

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet, make sure you get a room that is facing away from Hindley st.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear truenorth27

I appreciate the feedback we receive from our guests by expressing their opinons both positive and negative.

Again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you next visit Adelaide.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have stayed at the Grant Chancellor many times and as late as last weekend my wife and I stayed there again and as in the past enjoyed our stay. This time we scored a luxery room and this was very spacious and terrific. The customer service at the desk and the breakfast room is second to none. Well done people. Jack

Room Tip: all rooms are good but the higher floors are terrific
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JSVx
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Dear JSVx

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay once again by commenting on our staff and the facilities.

Again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel once again in the near future.