“Great hotel in city”

Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley
Ranked #15 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Great hotel. Opposite Mcdonalds, KFC and subway and 2 mins walk from Rundle Mall. Friendly staff. Great room service. Pool is lovely and warm. Buffet breakfast daily was good food but you get bored of same food over 6 days and would like to see something new everyday. Room was perfect on 5 th floor. It's old room but satisfactory enough. Have to pay for wifi so and cable tv and no teletext function on tv so not happy about that. Would stay again in future anyway.

Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Mazzie84
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear Mazzie84

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to taking advantage of some of our facilities.

Simon de Jong

Write a ReviewReviews (2,193)

Reviewed January 7, 2013

This hotel is well positioned in Hindley Street within walking distance of all the CBD attractions. Although most of the rooms do not have a great view ,,you shouldn't be in the room for a long as there is too much to do. The bar and restaurant are great value, as well as room service. Car parking is a breeze Once you have got it sorted.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be very quiet and views are not a requirement for me

Dear maatte47

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley. It is always a pleasure to read when our guests have enjoyed their stay by commenting on the facilities.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Check in on the 23rd for the Christmas Period...
When researching the hotel, I need the hotel was centrally located and knew it was on noisy night club area of Adelaide.
The Hotel is located a block away from the mail and close to lane which is full of cafes and nice bars. The hotel is on a busy street with a police station across the road with night clubs and strip clubs close by....
Check in was okay...
Disappointed were where not advised that the restaurant was closed/limited over the Christmas period . Breakfast yes, Dinner was room service only... there was limited places open on Christmas day and Christmas eve.
We ended up staying here twice over the Christmas Period... First room was on the pool side which was better than the second room, which was at the back.
It was a great location for us...

Room Tip: The higher rooms are better and poolside
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Otagopete

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

This was a perfect location to spend shopping in the city. The hotel is close to ammenities and public transport.

The room was functional and contained everything required for a short stay.

The pool was excellent and staff were extremely helpful and polite. Great place, location and staff, would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear aroundabout66

Thank you for your recent review of Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley. It is always a pleasure to read when our guests have enjoyed their stay by commenting on the staff and facilities.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed here over Christmas for 4 nights.When I first went to book I emailed the hotel with a couple of questions and waited 2 days with no reply so I emailed again and once again had no reply so eventually I rang and wanted to know why I had no reply to my 2 emails and was told they had gone into their junk mail !!!!! Upon arrival our check in was quite friendly and efficient. We were put on the 7th floor. Unlike the last reviews they must have put us in an older room.The bed queen bed was quite hard and my husband ended up with a sore back from it It certainly wasn't comfortable. The room was you run of the mill hotel room nothing to rave about. Bathroom was small with shower over bath. We overlooked Hindley St but the noise didn't worry us.Went for a walk Xmas day and alighting from lift you would have thought we would have been greeted by a "Merry Christmas" from reception but was ignored both going out and coming back.We left the car in the car park (for a fee) and basically walked everywhere We chose this hotel for the location and it didn't disappoint What did was the unfriendly reception after our initial checkin and the quality of the room Would we stay again ? Not sure.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
SalesAdelaide, Front Office Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear Finn50

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley. I have taken note of your comments and would like to apologise for the service you received from reception, this is not the level of service we are known for and I will be following this up with my team.

Regarding your room the hotel completed a refurbishment of floors 8 to 12 mid 2012 and are now in the planning process of refurbishing floors 6 and 7.

Again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Jarrad Crettenden
Front Office Manager

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I booked this hotel as a room, free parking, breakfast and a free bottle of wine deal. Room was nice - reasonable size and clean.
My husband and I decided to have dinner in the hotel restaurant. After a quick look at the wine list we ordered a bottle of the same wine as the free one in our room (worth $30) for the simple reason it was the 'house wine'. My understanding is that they are usually quite a reasonable drop and we are by no means any kind of 'wine snobs'.
Wine was poured in both glasses by the waitress without offering a taste (we hadn't opened the one in the room). After tasting it we asked to change it to something else because it was sour and vinegary, undrinkable. We were told it was not possible. On top of this our main meals (cost around $30 each) were so small that we had to go to MacDonalds across the road afterwards.
We expressed our disappointment at the restaurant as well as at the front desk the next morning but all we got was "Oh, really?". My husband filled out a feedback form in the room with contact details and I also wrote to the hotel's customer service email address. We never got any response.
Although the room was nice, here is no chance I will ever stay in this hotel again. Lack of customer service left a bad taste.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hanna L
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We recently stayed one night at the Grand Chancellor on Hindley with a coupon from Our Deal. Which was great value as it included car parking and full buffet breakfast. The executive room was very spacious, clean and comfortable with a king size bed two comfy chairs with a foot stool and another chair. The bathroom was very spacious and clean as well with a shower in the bath. Both rooms were extremely clean as they have recently been updated. We have stayed here before in a deluxe suite and I was worried about the size of the room but was pleasantly surprised at the size of it. The full buffet breakfast was OK and adequate. We thought the bacon could have been cooked a bit more and the fruit juice was warm. But the mushrooms were very tasty. Good selection of fruit, yoghurt and different types of breads for toast.
The hotel is in a perfect spot as it is so close to shopping, eating and sightseeing. Hindley Street wasn't a problem for us walking around.
When we booked the room we asked for a quiet room on a higher level and facing Currie Street. We also requested that when checking in and said how we wanted a quiet room away from Hindley Street and the lady at check in said that was OK. We had room 1203, when we enetered it and looked out the window it was facing Hindley Street!!! If it wasn't for the fact we had to drop our luggage and go and meet appointments we would have said something. We should have because 2am was the end of sleeping. The room is on the top floor but directly across the road is a nightclub. By 5am I'd had enough and complained to the guy at reception who was very apologitic but there wasn't a great deal he could do. If you want a quiet room insist that it be facing Currie Street. It really put a dampener on what would have been a great weekend away.
Would we stay there again? I do not know. I have stayed there on and off over the years going back to when it was the Hindley Parkroyal and that was the first time I have had a problem. It is a shame as we think the rooms are really good, but the service is not of a high standard as it was.

Room Tip: Insist on a room facing Currie Street for a quiet room. Room 1203 is opposite a nightclub.
1  Thank warsub
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley. We value the constructive feedback that we receive from our guests by expressing their opinions both positive and negative.
I am disappointed to hear the service was not up to our usual high standard. I apologise for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay at the hotel. I will ensure that the issues outlined in your review will be addressed accordingly
I hope that in the future you will allow us the opportunity to demonstrate the service we are renowned for.