“Great Value- Central location”

Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley
Ranked #16 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Australia
“Great Value- Central location”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Stayed 2 nights in this hotel and plan to return. Nice reception area. The room was spotless, modern and tastefully decorated with a lovely view. Very professional and friendly staff.

Location very good- in the middle of Adelaide CBD, close to great resturants and wine bars.
Taxi close by and walking distance to train or bus.

Breakfast not included in the room charge. Offers the usual hot/cold selection. Staff very polite and quick to clear away dirty dishes.

If you want a good, clean hotel that doesn't kill the budget then I highly recommend that you consider this one.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I found the location pretty good, just a very short stroll from anywhere you need to be in the CBD. Some of the surrounding establishments were dodgy, but I certainly didn't feel unsafe.

Our room was really good - a suite set up with effectively a separate room for the little one. Beds were comfy, TV was good, all in all pretty nice really.

I did find that I was queing for ages at reception to check in. It irks me when hotels copy the supermarkets and build loads of desks/checkouts but only staff 1 or 2 of them. Having said that you'd get a totally different queue time on other days or at other times, so maybe I was just unlucky.

I reckon 3 and a half stars for this place, with the ability to get a fourth star....but the car park brings it down to 3 stars. Location was good, but dingy as, and there were things "stored" in there, like old matresses.

Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Brisbane
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Visually, this is a lovely hotel and we got our stay for a reasonable price through hotels.com. The room was very comfortable and the staff were friendly. The location couldn't be more central.

Unfortunately, I would be reluctant to stay here again due to the noise. I'm not usually one to complain about noise, I might say. I'm fairly easygoing about noise and am a heavy sleeper.

That being said, not only was there a lot of noise coming up from party-goers on Hindley Street, but some college-age students had booked rooms along our corridor and spent from about 2 am to 5 am in the morning stomping up the corridor, calling out, banging on doors, et cetera.

I had a 10 hour drive from Adelaide to Melbourne the next morning and actually had to call reception twice. To their credit, reception did their best to get them to be quiet.

I left my room at 5 am to find three boys wandering the corridor in their underwear.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We booked this hotel for a long weekend in Adelaide. Not having been to Adelaide before, we didn't know what to expect but went ahead and booked the Grand Chancellor on Hindley for a very good price. We were travelling with another couple so booked 2 Deluxe Twin/Double Rooms. Our friends were on the 4th floor and only had a view of the wall of the building next door. We were on the 7th floor and were lucky to have a good view of the city. The hotel is very welcoming and has a really nice feel about it when you walk in. Our room was very spacious and contained to double beds, which surprised us, so my husband and I had a double bed each! The bathroom could have been cleaner, especially the bath tub and the taps! The rooms were made up every day, with clean towels, hand towels and face washers, so all in all it made for a very comfortable stay. Staff are very friendly and the Sixty Five Restaurant upstairs is lovely. We had one of the best meals there on our last night for a very good price. The staff there were great and nothing was too much trouble. It is centrally located, but we were told by staff that it would be better not to go out late at night as it is not really safe. We didn't have any problems and were very close to Rundell Mall where we found many great shops, cafe's and restaurants. If you have a car there is a $15 per day parking fee to park in their carpark.
All in all it was a very pleasant stay...would stay again.

Room Tip: As for a room higher than the 4th floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Dear Maggy57

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley. It is always a pleasure to read when our guests have enjoyed their stay by commending the staff and hotel services. It is our continual mission to anticipate and exceed the expectations of our guests.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming back to the Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley in the near future.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in January on a quest to meet up with my husband's distant cousin. I picked it (despite the Red Light District comments of some other reviewers) because it was near one of the garden areas of the city and also to transport links.

Adelaide is a big change in pace from Perth and Sydney but if you accept it's a gentle city with the accent on tradition, then you'll have a good time. From the cosy airport where people greet each other practically as they get off the plane to the friendly help at bus stops and the warm welcome back on a return visit to a cafe, you'll soon feel at home here.

Hotel: it's absolutely fine. Staff were friendly and efficient. The room (on 11th floor) was large, clean and pleasantly decorated. The breakfast seemed a bit pricey, so we ate at the Boulevard cafe a couple of blocks on the right as you leave the hotel main entrance. The room seemed a very reasonable price.

We were taken aback at having to pay $27 for internet connection (as mentioned by another reviewer). I've seen Backpacker hostels in Sydney that offer this service free and as the Chancellor has extensive business facilities, I was surprised they didn't offer it free as well.

The location: well, it suited us fine. The road is a little run down but it's interesting and there are lots of eateries around, Rundle (or Trundle, as I called it) Mall is very close with an array of shops and the station and a range of bus stops in a parallel street (North Terrace) - very handy for a highly enjoyable outing to Port Adelaide to see the Maritime Museum and lighthouse.
There are some excellent museums off Kintore Road as well, just a short walk away.

Hindley Street can be noisy at night. It caters for adult entertainment but we weren't hassled by anyone. There was a club with music throbbing away until 12 or so each night and we were glad to be on the 11th floor as it didn't bother us too much.

One evening, we had a lovely walk to the river. It only took 10 minutes amble and is a peaceful place to watch the sun go down.

And in case you're interested, we did meet up with the distant cousin and his wife who took us out to lunch and gave us a brilliant tour south of Adelaide to Old Noalunga, the McLaren Vale wine area and Silver Sands on the Southern Ocean - brilliant!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the upper floors - 8 or above as there can be some street noise.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this review, February 5, 2012
Dear CarolynBanks

Greetings from Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley.

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley. We value the constructive feedback that we receive from our guests by expressing their opinions both positive and negative.

I was pleased to note that although you had read the negative reviews regarding the location of the hotel you were prepared to give the hotel a chance and thoroughly enjoyed your stay.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming back to the Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley in the near future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I was a little apprehensive about booking this hotel due to some of the previous feedback emails I had read, however I am pleased to say we had a very different experience from them! We arrived at the hotel at 11am and after booking in were able to go straight to our room. We were located on the 9th floor, the room had a modern uncluttered look, the bed was comfy and the bathroom was roomy! The housekeeping / reception and restaurant staff were fantastic and very obliging. Used the pool and spa a couple of times, it was clean and was not over chlorinated. Had a problem with printing out our boarding passes as the reception printer wasn't working however the reception staff suggested I could use the Business Centre printer. They took me to the Business Centre, unlocked the door (it was out of business hours!!) and asked me to let them know when I had finished so they could come back up to re-lock the door. Took all of 5 minutes to login and printout the boarding passes. When I finished, went back to the advise reception where they offered to take our boarding passes up to our room for us as we were on our way out for dinner!! Central to everything! Felt safe at all times.
The only thing I thought was over priced was their laundry costs. We had been on a cruise for 5 days and booked in the day before a public holiday and needed some laundry done, it was going to cost the normal charge plus an additional 50% surcharge, which I thought was abit excessive. We waited an extra day and got ALL of our laundry done at a laundry around the corner for $30.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
Dear Ann B
Greetings from Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley.

Hobart, Australia
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Having read quite a few poor reviews regarding noise and dicey location, I was fairly apprehensive.

The staff were very pleasant and helpful and I have no complaints. I booked an extra night with only two weeks notice at a very busy time of year, and was going to have to change rooms for the extra night (which I expected), but when I asked about check out/check back in times, they managed to keep me in the same room - I hugely appreciated this simply for the convenience.

My room was on the second floor, facing Hindley St (at the front of the hotel), it was spacious, and a little dated, but clean and perfectly adequate for my needs. Good air conditioning & heating. If luxury and/or appearance are important to you, I suggest you request one of the recently renovated rooms.

The first night (a Friday) the bar downstairs was a bit noisy but all was quiet by 10pm (this was during the Tour Down Under, so there were a lot of tourists in town) and I had no noise or lighting issues at all during my stay.

I didn't use the restaurant at all or room service at all, so can't comment on the food. I thought the breakfast was a bit overpriced ($25, but a special of $16.50 if you booked the night before) but I'm not a seasoned traveler, so this is probably about average, and I was on a tight budget! There's a convenience store only a couple of doors down, I bought breakfast makings and bottled water there easily. The mini-bar fridge had plenty of room, which was important to me! The mini-bar prices were about what I expected, bit more expensive than the supermarket, not excessive. I did notice a couple of evenings when I arrived back fairly early - around 10pm - the bar was already closed - would've been Sunday and Monday nights.

I never felt unsafe in Hindley St, although I could see it is the seedy end. The police station is across the road about a block away, and there was a fairly heavy police presence on Friday and Saturday nights. I'm a woman alone and I walked everywhere, the location is very central and convenient. In fairness, I must say the latest I ever arrived back was about 10pm, a few hours later I might have felt less safe. There is a taxi rank directly outside the hotel.

There is one computer with internet access in the lobby, I never had difficulty gaining access, only had to wait once. When I tried to print my boarding pass on my last day, the printer wouldn't work - the manager tried hard to get it to work, then realised they'd had computer difficulties the previous week and the new software wouldn't connect to the computer - I gather this was a temporary, one-off problem, and hopefully they've rectified it by now. If you need to print something important, I suggest you check first that the printer's working, as it's behind the desk, where only staff can access it. There is a business centre, if you need it. There's an internet cafe a few doors up the street as well.

I was impressed that they are making an effort at being eco-friendly - they advise you to leave recyclables stacked neatly by the rubbish bin if you wish to, and you also have the option of putting a "please don't service my room today" card on the door knob. This saves on cleaning products, water used for cleaning, laundering of towels and linen. I stayed four nights and chose not to have my room serviced at all (could've requested clean towels if I'd needed them) and was happy with this, I only needed to get more milk from room service, that was quick and easy, no problems.

Alarm clock on the bedside console worked, the radio didn't, but this wasn't important to me. I forgot to tell them it wasn't working, actually! TV reception was good enough, not digital quality, but perfectly watchable. If I had reception like that at my house, I'd get the antenna repairers in, but for watching the news, tennis etc for a few days it was fine. If you're paying lots of money for the in-house movies, you might expect better quality reception. I didn't use the movies, nor the Wi-Fi or Broadband either.

I appreciated the iron and ironing board in my room - the last 4 star hotel I stayed in (overseas) you had to request these be brought to your room. Also appreciated the pull-out clothes line in the bathroom (I'm sounding like a REALLY budget traveler now!) but trying to travel light in very hot weather, it was very useful!

Didn't use the pool, gym or spa, so can't comment on these.

Overall, I'm an inexperienced traveler, but I was very happy with the service and the accommodation, and would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently renovated room if this is important to you.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo