“No improvement on Hyatt”

InterContinental Adelaide
Ranked #9 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sydney
“No improvement on Hyatt”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2010

I understood that the owners of this landmark hotel were not happy with the hyatt's management so changed to ICHG. I can't say that I found any improvement. I stay here a lot on business. Had a club room - it needs a revamp. Service is the same as they have mostly the same staff. So not sure what the change is. Actually the lounge seems to have less than what it did before, the standard of snacks is less, it is the small things that have disappeared that are important - small bottles of mineral water that they allowed you to take for your walk, takeaway cups of coffee - these all make the difference between "OK" and " thanks for thinking of us". Still the best location though. I try and walk to all my meetings or catch the bus and walk, rather than taxi-ing. In adelaide this is easy .pool is closed at the moment- which iis annoying

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Luv2travelOzzie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2010

Was in Adelaide for 5 days and the InterContinental was the "conference hotel" for my trip. If you are doing business at the Adelaide Convention Center this is the place to be....you turn right out of the front door and you have arrived at the ACC.

Check in was quick and efficient. I arrived around 11am and they were able to accommodate my early arrival when I had not called ahead.

The room was pretty good. Bed was a little hard (I like softer mattresses) but still something I was able to get a good night sleep on. What was a little odd was the door to the bathroom....they use slated closet doors and the entry was a little tight (not a full door size). But the bathroom itself was a good size with separate shower and bathtub. At first, I thought it was a closet and couldn't find the bathroom until I opened the doors.

The desk area could do a little better when it comes to letting us plug in our laptop. There is a wall outlet, but it is behind the desk and blocked by the drapes. But I found it in the end.

Internet here was a good speed - but they charge by the minute! However, they do have a $29 AUD cap every 24 hours, or you can buy a 7-day plan. I would have preferred maybe a 3 or 5 day plan since this is a very business-centric hotel. Regardless, the $29 AUD was a little on the pricey side but not a deal breaker.

Breakfast was included in the room rate I had. The offering each morning was the exact same with no variety. However they do have an ala carte menu if you want. Very modest offering of eggs, sausages, beans, potatoes, pancakes, fruits, cereals and breads. What I loved about the restaurant is they actually make lattes and cappacinos - not just coffee. That alone made the breakfast worthwhile!

Room service was pretty good. Their full menu was available 24 hours a day. Had several different meals and all were quick (within about 20 minutes), hot and well supplied with salt, ketchup, etc.

Finally, some good shopping is available with a short 5 minute walk over to Rumbly Mall. That combined with the Casino next door and the train station makes this a great cetnrally located place to stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Jeff_In_Dallas
Craigieburn, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2010

I stayed at the InterContinental Adelaide for 5 days while attending the IRB Rugby 7's. I found the hotel to be very nice, but the mini-bar area was a bit dated and the pool was closed for renovations. The service was fantastic and when I found myself needing to take care of some urgent and unexpected business the concierge was brilliant! I would recommend this hotel for both business and leisure.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2010

We enjoyed this hotel and regretted that we could only stay for one night. The lobby and atrium are beautiful. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The location was fine. We had no problem with the inroom safe which was free of charge. We would definitely stay again if we return to Adelaide.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kupunakane
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2010

Stayed just one night in The Intercontinental (formerly The Hyatt Adelaide) with a girl friend for the annual Soundwave music festival at Bonython Park in Adelaide. We were ripped off for the one night and got charged $425 for a twin bed room, even though the hotel is very good and the room was well equipped and cosy, that was rather a lot and didn't even include the buffet breakfast which was an extra $34. The beds were very comfortable and we slept well, bathroom was spacious and we had a wonderful view of the river from the window as we were on the 16th floor in room 1601. The reason why the room was so much more expensive than usual was basically because it was very fully booked with bands and people working and attending the music festival, but when we checked-in, we found there to be a lot more rooms available than what we told over the 'phone. Usually the same room is around $175-$200. Breakfast was very good, but too expensive at $34 per person. Loads of choice of fruits, juices, cereals, salads, breads, rolls, and a cooked buffet. I wasn't allowed to bring a smoked salmon roll I'd made up to my room because of "health and safety" reasons, which I thought was silly, but they kindly took the food up to the room for me right away.
We were gutted to discover that the rooftop outdoor swimming pool and sundeck was closed for a total makeover and being re-built, which was very disappointing during the Summer months! The health club downstairs in the lower ground floor was all open and I made use of that. The pool refurbishment had been delayed because of some special tiles that were ordered that got delayed being sent or something and I could tell how annoyed the hotel staff were at guests complaining about it, as it wasn't their fault. The health club in the hotel is very good. Big gym, a jacuzzi that fits in about 6 or 7 people at a time and a steam room and sauna. Changing rooms was spacious and it was well equipped.
I can't understand why people have been so negative about this hotel in other reviews, as I've also stayed in The Hilton in Adelaide which is good, but I think the room we stayed in at The Intercontinental was bigger than what I had in The Hilton (and that was an executive floor room!), much bigger bathroom and better equipped. The fridge/mini bar was big enough to put all our extra food and drinks in, toiletries were really nice quality and we got cosier beds than the bed I'd slept in The Hilton which from what I remember wasn't as soft. I would have to agree that the lobby did seem a bit dark. There is a nice outdoor terrace, with tables and chairs to sit on, which is like an extended part of the bar. The hotel was a lot closer than The Hilton to walk to Bonython Park, where we had to go for the festival. There were major roadworks to and from the festival site to the hotel, so walking was the best option. The concierge staff were great when it came to check in online for my flight back to Sydney from Adelaide. They also checked me in online for my flight from Sydney onto London, so it was all arranged without any worries. Let staff offer to help with doing this, because the hotel internet connection is a rip-off. So, a few minor setbacks, but it didn't put me off staying here again. I will book via Expedia in advance next time and not leave things to the last minute. Once the swimming pool is open this hotel will top The Hilton, for sure.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank SophieCalifornia
brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2010

Booked club room but no seperate check in so waited in line. Room fine, good bathroom towels etc. All very clean. In room safe required a credit card to operate, rang reception who advised me that this was not the case and I could pre program. Not the normal safe and reception could not advise otherwise so had to do without. Club lounge breakfast was poor, one day scrambled eggs, bacon, next day scrambled eggs and sausage! Possibly the worst offering of any club lounges.
Go for a standard room, the club option is wasted money.
Service slow in the bar, waiters seemed to disappear in an area behind the bar for long periods. Pool was not available as being refurbished although temperature was around 30c mark.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2010

A friend and I stayed here for 4 nights as part of a mystery holiday.
When we arrived we were booked in to a king room (could have been a mistake by the travel agent), and the staff were going to put another bed in the room for the 2 of us.
The rooms are quite dated and poky - with another bed in the room there would barely be any room to move! Then there was the dilemma of who would sleep in the king bed and who on the camp bed! (they did tell me it was a proper bed - not a fold out bed). I called the desk and it took 15 minutes to convince them that we wanted a twin room and to find one. We ended up having to pay an extra $20 per night (this didn't bother us too much and the room we moved to was nicer with a river view).
The rooms themselves are not really that nice - certainly not 5 star. The carpet and decor is quite dated.
Our biggest gripe was the bathroom door. The bathrooms are huge - possibly too big! The door for the bathroom consists of saloon style doors that squeak very loudly. Seemed quite odd have saloon doors to the bathroom in a 5 star hotel!
Concierge were quite helpful with tours and restaurants - though the information centre just around the corner was more knowledgeable.
The hotel is in a perfect location for ease of getting around, you really can't get much better! There are other hotels across the road that looked a little more modern.
We were told by our travel agent that there was a pool - however when looking down from our room it was quite clear that there would be no frolicking by the pool! It was empty and being worked on. This didn't bother us as we had plenty of other things to do - like wine tours!!
I probably would not recommend this hotel to others - it really needs upgrading to keep its 5 star prestige.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends