“Value but pricey”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Adelaide, Australia
“Value but pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Good decor and views but the loss of the buffet service has turned away a lot of customers who like nibbling on a variety of courses. It is pricey but value on the whole. Used to be the upper end buffet offering in Adelaide but the change from Hyatt it the Intercontinental has seen a short sighted refocus. With the Hyatt they used to have 2 sittings as testimony to the popularity. Management take note

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

Only spent one night here on the company account but will review it as if I paid my own hard earned $’s for it.

I also spent one night at the Holiday Inn at Tullamarine airport beforehand then two nights at the Intercontinental in Melbourne. A couple of weeks ago I spent 2 nights at the Crown Metropol and one at the Crown Promenade in Melbourne.

My fave of these recent stays was this Intercontinental in Adelaide due to everything in the room overall that was ‘just right’. The air con, the bed, the lighting (day & night), the bathroom and amenities, the staff, the room service breakfast, the restaurant dinner… all were ‘just right’.

Okay, if you look hard enough there are slight signs of wear and tear but overall I was very satisfied and will stay again next time the company sends me to Adelaide (I have other choices but this one worked well for me).

I was in Room 1802 which overlooked the new cricket ground and looks out over the river. Nice enough view. Room was right around corner from the elevators yet it was extremely quiet so no issues with noise. The air con was super quiet and worked really well.

Staff at check in were very friendly and efficient and explained ‘what’s where’.

My room was a very decent size and was kind of a hexagonal shape which I liked for something different. Bed was king size and very comfortable (not hard). Room had a flat screen TV was really big (especially for a hotel room). Desk was big and had 3 power points and data etc.
I had a 2 seater couch, 2 chairs, full length mirror, 2 phones (1 by bed, 1 on desk), fridge, full mini bar, tea/coffee making, iron & ironing board, bedside clock, lamps, etc.

My bathroom was a really decent size with marble tiling, a full bath, huge shower, great lighting, etc. Slippers, bathrobes, HUGE towels, hairdryer, nice toiletries, really good amenities kit including the best sewing kit I’ve ever seen in a motel room amenity pack. The only downside I can think of is that the entry to the bathroom is quite narrow through two bi-fold doors which may prove a little bit more challenging for a wheelchair perhaps.

Had dinner in the hotel’s restaurant and it was very, very nice and the wait staff were friendly whilst remaining professional. They knew the food they were serving very well, etc.

My breakfast was room service and was lovely. The meal was hot as was my drink, etc. Lovely fresh juice also.

Personally I would not choose to pay the amount of money it costs to stay at a place like the Intercontinental but only because I am a happy backpacker/budget accoms girl with the odd splurge on a 4 or 5 star in my personal life. I enjoyed it as much as the Crown Promenade, Crown Metropol and Intercontinental Melbourne (but not as much as the V Hotel in Bali – it will take a lot to surpass those rooms and the breakfast for me – even though I did pay for that one myself!).

This hotel is in a great location; walking, trams, Rundle Mall, the river etc. All close by.

The reason I rated the 'value' as 3/5 (average) is the same as I rate most places over about $150 to $170 a night as average... the price paid just seems so over the top sometimes when I know I can stay at a little boutique hotel with everything I need for a fraction of the cost. Just because I really liked the place doesn't mean I think it is 'good value' overall. So ignore that rating if you like! :)

Room Tip: Room 1802 was a quirky hexagonal shape, but I liked it. Nice enough view, good sized room with every...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank wishtago...
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

V nice hotel though showing signs of wear especially in the furniture. Great location for the test cricket, for the local transport, the shopping district and restaurants. Staff very helpful, a very pleasant stay.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank S W
Sammamish, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

I'm a seasoned international traveler primarily for business. This hotel was exceedingly disappointing. It has likely not been updated for at least 15 years. I was seriously disappointed. My sheets had holes in them..the room was circa 1990's...my phone..which I needed to conduct conference calls was also circa 1990..it didn't have a speaker!!! UNACCEPTABLE and so very WRONG!!! Lastly..I'm a IHG Platinum member...I receive 10 points for every dollar I spend at IGH hotels., Crowne Plaza..ect.BUT I only get max 2000 points no matter how many days I stay when I stay the Intercontinental. I'm so done with this hotel group and my goal is to get my corporate travel group to agree..

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank Karen O
ICAManagement, General Manager at InterContinental Adelaide, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Karen O,

Thank you for posting a review after your recent stay with InterContinental Adelaide. Of course we are all disappointed to read that agreed expectations with your room were not met. To allow for us to respond to you directly, may I ask that you contact our Guest Relations Manager, An on email via enquiries.adelaide@ihg.com.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Kind regards,
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights for work, and had one of the best sleep. I got upgraded to a bigger room because my colleague who helped me to book is a member. The breakfast is lovely, and the business lounge area is really nice with great service.
The Japanese restaurant in the hotel serves Teppanyaki which is fantastic.

I would love to come back again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lynna123
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed here in 2000 when this was the signature Adelaide Hotel, and a great Park Hyatt. Now its run by Intercontinental, a group that really does not care about it.

The decor and furnishings are exactly the same as 13 years ago and in some cases look like they have not even been changed. On the surface the hotel still looks good, but look a little closer and everything is faded, worn out, damaged, scratched and in some cases not working.

The hotel still has a great location going for it, and some wonderful views from the top floor rooms, but when you are paying top dollar for a suposed 5 star establishment and getting 3 star value and a management that just does not care, then something is seriously wrong.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jim W
ICAManagement, General Manager at InterContinental Adelaide, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Jim W

I would like to thank you for staying at InterContinental Adelaide recently and for sharing your feedback from your experience with us.

To allow us an opportunity to respond directly to you, may I ask that you contact our Guest Relations Manager, An, on email enquiries.adelaide@ihg.com.

With thanks and kind regards

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Very friendly and professional staff made you feel at ease straight away.
Definitely in the 80s style of hotel but very comfortable. Room did show signs of wear and tear but it was clean. The only down side was the smell of Asian Cooking from the Japanese restaurant which seemed to fill the lobby. If it wasn't the cooking then the housekeeper needs to change the air freshners they use. Overall a good stay

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank DaveChCh
Dear DaveChCh

Thank you for providing your feedback after your stay in September. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit and would like to extend my appreciation for commenting on the cleanliness of the room.

It was interesting to note your comments concerning the apparent cooking smell and may I rest assure you this is not an air freshener.

Kind regards