“Disappointed”

InterContinental Adelaide
Ranked #9 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I only enjoyed my food at Riverside and the staff were very friendly. I was very disappointed that there is no spa or sauna anymore, and the swimming pool is outside which is too cold to swim in winter. I don't think it's any better to be a Priority Privilege member at all. I like staying there every year for my birthday. I queried about the valet parking $80 for 2 days which is too much, and it was not stated on my confirmation email that i received. I spoke to the reception supervisor or manager about it, and he was rude and condescending. It's not about the service, but about the money. I don't think i will renew my membership next year. There are other hotels that i could stay at which includes free parking.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank FoodieDeb1
ICAManagement, General Manager at InterContinental Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear DebsAdelaide

Thank you for choosing to stay at InterContinental Adelaide and for returning to us each year in celebration of your Birthday.

I was pleased to hear your Riverside Restaurant experience was enjoyable and thank you for mentioning the friendliness of our staff.

May I also thank you for your comments concerning our valet car parking charges and for informing us of the manner in which your concerns were addressed.

James Allen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,841)

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the InterContinental. The reception staff were really friendly and welcoming and helped us with everything we needed. Check-in wasn't until 3pm but we arrived in Adelaide at 8am so were expecting to just leave our luggage with the front desk and come back later, but they checked us in straight away with no fuss or extra charge. The room was large and clean with a great view of the city. Our room was right next to the elevators but we didn't hear a thing, except for the occasional faint 'ding'. Breakfast was really good and there was plenty to choose from (even for the late-risers at 10am). All in all, a great place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yenniva
ICAManagement, General Manager at InterContinental Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear Yenniva

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts from your stay at InterContinental Adelaide.

It was very pleasing to read that our Front Office team were welcoming and accommodated an early check in on your day of arrival.

Equally, great to hear that your room offered nice views of the city and you enjoyed your relaxing breakfast.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

This hotel is in a fantastic location, there is a development programme for the adjoining area which will provide a walkway straight to the Adelaide straight from the driver side walk behind the hotel. The construction work did not effect our stay in the hotel which was a very enjoyable one stopping three nights we could not fault this hotel which we feel is of a very god standard. The staff made you feel welcome and they were happy providing a quality service. Happy to recommend this hotel.

Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Stephen G
ICAManagement, General Manager at InterContinental Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Stephen G,

I was delighted to read that you chose InterContinental Adelaide as your choice of hotel for your first visit to Adelaide.

I appreciate your recommendation of the property and thank you for your compliments on our welcoming staff.

The Riverbank Bridge construction you mention is one of a host of major projects underway in and around Adelaide and I hope you have an opportunity to return to see its progress along the way.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Before I sat down to write this review, I’ve had a read of some of the recent reviews of the hotel. You may well be wondering: What is the truth?

First the hotel decor and rooms. Without any question, this is what lets the hotel down. The carpet in reception is worn, and the rooms really could do with a refresh. Having said that, things really aren’t bad. From what I know I had a pretty standard room. The bathroom was quite large with separate bath and shower, the view was really good over the river, things were quiet, the bed comfortable, and the desk well positioned. If these rooms were refurnished, recarpeted and painted, they would really scrub up very well when compared to other high-quality hotels I’ve stayed in. Having said that, they are still better than many supposed 4-star hotels I’ve stayed in before.

I really liked the service at the hotel. I note that some people have had unhappy experiences, but mine was good – well above the average. At breakfast service was prompt and friendly, the buffet of good quality, and newspapers plentiful. Reception was efficient, but of particular note was the concierge / doorman help I received. This was top class – friendly and helpful.

The location of the hotel is also fine. It is right on the river for morning walks, next to the convention centre, and nearby there are plenty of inexpensive and nice places to eat.

Overall, particularly given the choice in Adelaide, I would recommend this place, and it would be my first choice of where to stay on my next trip for a good rate.

Room Tip: My rooms was on level 10. With the work on the bridge to the Adelaide oval, there is some noise so...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank DadTravelOrganiser
ICAManagement, General Manager at InterContinental Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear DadTravelOrganiser,

I have just read your review and may I thank you for spending your valuable time in commenting on your recent stay.

I was delighted to read that your experience was very enjoyable in terms of the location of the property and moreso with the service and hospitality you encountered.

Thank you also for highlighting your thoughts on the property which are appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Adelaide!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Very happy with my stay. Room is very clean, tidy and has the most beautiful views over the river and Adelaide. The bed is comfortable and spacious. Staff are very courteous and helpful. All in all a lovely stay. In a great spot on both train, tram and bus lines. Very convenient.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Bronwyn P

Dear Bronwyn P,

Thank you for choosing to stay at InterContinental Adelaide and for providing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

Delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent visit to the hotel and also found us very convenient to the local transport.

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

It is in a good spot but the decor is very tired and the whole place feels depressing because of this.

Service in restaurant was disorganized.

It turns out that you can have a newspaper delivered each day but I only discovered this on the last of my 5 day stay. No mention of it at reception.

You might consider staying here if attending something at the adjacent conference centre but otherwise I'd look elsewhere

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Mike99au

Dear Mike99au

I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on your recent experience at InterContinental Adelaide.

It was disappointing to learn that your stay did not meet expectations and that there were shortcomings encountered in both service and communication aspects.

Your comments are very valuable and have been taken on board for ongoing training and continuous improvement.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Having stayed many times when this was the Hyatt this was my first visit since it became an Intercontinental property. The roomsa are still well maintained and spacious, good bathrooms and, if you are lucky, lake views. Staff are friendly and check-in check-out proces is fast and efficient. A great CBD location.

Room Tip: Ask for a high level lake view room
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Novo1

A pleasure to have welcomed you back to the hotel recently as your first visit since changing to the InterContinental Adelaide.

Great to hear you experienced the same hospitality and comfortable surroundings as you had become accustomed to.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.