Tandanya, National Aboriginal Cultural Institute Inc.
Ranked #68 of 194 things to do in Adelaide
More attraction details
Owner description: Tandanya is a visionary and vibrant place to explore and experience contemporary and traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture, through visual art and performings. Walk through art exhibitions or take a tour, watch a cultural presentation and performance (by appointment), browse through our Gallery Shop or hire one of many spaces in our amazing building.
London, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Let down”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We went as we thought it would be interesting however we were greeted with a big warehouse type room with some art on the wall, much more like an art gallery than a museum. I don't know if we missed something but based on what I saw, I wouldn't bother going, there are plenty of better museums in Adelaide.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Hannah B

Adelaide, Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Authentic Indigenous Souvenirs”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Went to find a digeridoo to give a relative who was visiting. This place had lots of different authentic goods but be prepared to pay. Everything is quite expensive. Worth looking at but you only need 10-15 min. Not sure where else you could get this sort of souvenir unless you want ones from souvenir shops made overseas.

Visited August 2013
Leicester, United Kingdom
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Mixed result”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

We came to see what the place was all about - after reading the good and bad on tripadvisor. We missed the presentation (which sounds good) so only had a gallery to look around - which was modern style contemporary aboriginal art (look like there is only room for one exhibition). Walking around it all looked a bit odd (we were hoping for some of the traditional work) - the techniques were the same, the colours were modern. We also got chatting to the lady there who seemed to come on quite strongly once we said we were English, "our ancestors had killed hers" sort of thing, it came across a bit odd, but not nasty. The shop was great - lots to look at, but I either don't like the art or the pieces I do are in the $1000's! Overall it was nice to visit - shame we missed the performance (and if you're not good at confrontations, and they ask - say you're American! We were told they liked the Americans helping save the islanders in the war) - we learnt quite a bit ;)

Visited July 2013
ft. Lauderdale, FL
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Could have been better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

I was very excited to go to the center initially. It was disappointing to have an almost rote presentation given. Yes, I wanted to hear the didgerodoo being played,but I also wanted to learn more about the culture. It was represented to be about a 45 minute presentation. It was only like a half hour. The man giving the presentation was not very engaging to the people. I would have thought they would really like non-Aboriginals to get a better understanding of their culture. That was why I went. He could have done a better job. They have art displayed. He could have explained the symbols used in the paintings. Maybe my expectations were too high!! Sad.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank traveler7462
Adelaide
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have been disappointed with the content of the Institute. I have seen performances there that were most interesting and entertaining, but if there is nothing "special" on offer, just to go in and look is a bit uninspiring except for the art on the walls.