“I'll make this my last visit!!”

Art Gallery of South Australia
Ranked #5 of 187 things to do in Adelaide
More attraction details
Owner description: A must-see in the city of Adelaide not only because it holds one of Australia's finest art collections, but also because it offers a variety of activities for all ages.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have spent my whole life in Adelaide and have been visiting the art gallery since I was a child. I have always bragged to people interstate that our art gallery was the best and I have always taken my friends there. I hadn't been for a while and so when I was asked to attend a meeting in the gallery coffee shop yesterday I made sure to go early so I could wander around my favourite gallery.... but was horrified when the first thing I saw was two headless horse carcasses hanging from the ceiling!!! I was so disturbed by this unexpected shock that I couldn't enjoy anything after that. If I had been visiting a slaughter house I would have known to mentally prepare myself for what I might see... but as it was I was totally unprepared. In a world where there is already so much horror, death and depression, why do these "artists" think that we need to have it presented to us as "art"? As an artist myself, I use art as a way to escape from depression but I will no longer go to the art gallery for inspiration!!!

4  Thank EBeaver
Write a ReviewReviews (1,589)
All reviews
in 19 reviews
"horses"
in 48 reviews

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Professional, well presented displays. WHAT CLASS...
New display HEARTLAND, absolutely worth a visit.

2  Thank MemphisBirthday
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The gallery is great but walking in at the moment, one of the first things you see if you enter on the European art wing, is a sculpture of two dead, headless horses (clothed in real horse skin, legs etc) hanging from the ceiling. It's huge. Now I know art is very much open to interpretation but I could not see anything creative in this sculpture. My seven year old daughter was having nightmares last night as a result (she rides horses), even when I had told her it was not real. A warning perhaps upon entry to those with children might help. Otherwise a nice enough gallery. They had great activities for kids as it was school hols & the Heartland exhibit was interesting. Big shame it was my kids first visit to a big art gallery & they couldn't stop commenting about the ugly horse sculpture.....

13  Thank tintin13
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We've been spoilt for galleries in our travels and being from Melbourne, which has a very impressive gallery itself, but the SA Gallery is lovely.

Some gorgeous classic pieces and some interesting modern art as well. I'm definitely not an art expert, but my daughter and I love wandering the galleries chatting about what the art might mean or the stories the artist is telling, and we had a lot of fun at the SA Gallery.

There was one section of the gallery that wasn't suitable for kids, so we bypassed that, but we made up for it in the "make your own art" area for the kids to do some art of their own.

All in all, was a lovely way to spend a relaxing few hours.