“Short stay in Adelaide”
Review of Hilton Adelaide

Ranked #18 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stayed at the Hilton for a week long business trip. Room was clean and tidy with comfortable large bed. Comfortable stay, close to plenty of restaurants with a great variety. Located outside a tram stop for those who want to travel to Glenelg and is a short walk to Rundle Mall.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
PNorsell, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Wobblyboot,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us while traveling for business and I am happy that you had a comfortable stay.

We are fortunate to be located close to many popular restaurants with the convenience of the tram stop just outside the hotel offering free travel around the city. The shopping areas in the city and other sites of interest are just a short walk away.

I appreciate your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards

Hilton Adelaide

Write a ReviewReviews (2,468)

Reviewed November 19, 2013

We stayed here due to a work Christmas function nearby. Booked through wotif which was first mistake. They fill up their rooms with wotif customers that nobody else would want. I asked for non smoking as am chrontic asthmatic. Guess what. Put on the smokers floor. Smoke pumping through aircon vents. Clothes, hair everything smelled of smoke. Complained but sent up bottle of wine.( which doesnt fix the problem.) also told would receive chocolates but they never came and told valet parking would be waved. Still got charged. Told hotel was fully booked so could not move. We would have checked out during the night as i had asthma all night but due to having a few drinks at the work function i did not want to risk driving which was the purpose of booking a motel close by. I have now been to the doctors and am on steroids to combat my asthma. Thanks alot. The bathroom was revolting. Shower you get burned or frozen. After fidling for 10 mins i chose frozen and not to scald myself. (did not want another dr visit) The best thing was the buffet breakfast except for the head waitress who was very rude infront of patrons to her staff who were very busy. Most staff were friendly especially Hugh on Valet service. Will never stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for non smoking floor, not just non smoking room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank cookie327
PNorsell, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear cookie327,

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I was concerned that you had a disappointing stay and you found your room allocation unsatisfactory. We do have four smoking rooms left in the hotel due to demand and I apologise that you were put on the same floor due to high occupancy. I understand your frustration however the hotel was fully booked therefore we were unable to relocate you to a different floor on this occasion. I apologise for the effects that you experienced as a result.

I appreciate your comments in regards to your bathroom. I am sorry for the shower problems that you encountered and the inconvenience this caused. I appreciate you passing on your concerns about team communication in the Brasserie Restaurant and rest assured this will be discussed with our Outlets Manager for further training.

I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

I paid cash for 3 rooms upon check-in and used a credit card for extra. It turned out that the new employee put $4800 hold on the card! Finding that out when trying to pay for a meal and the card was rejected. Thank god, it wasn't one of the expensive business meeting dinner that could have caused a great embarrassment. Having to wait for the bank to clear it the next day is a pain. My boss was furious and I got the partial blame for booking Hilton instead of another chain that always sends a GM to welcome him. (I chose Hilton for location and personal recommendation).

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Venus A

Dear Venus A,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback regarding your recent stay at Hilton Adelaide.

On check-in at the hotel a credit card is required to cover your room rate plus $100 per day for incidentals as a refundable security deposit. This policy is in place for the security of both the guests and the hotel in terms of loss prevention and risk management. I understand you came in and paid cash for the three rooms prior to arrival and I apologise that this was overlooked on check in therefore the full amount being held on your credit card. Please note this payment is a pre-authorisation made directly with the bank and therefore the release date is dependent on their processing systems and not determined by Hilton Adelaide resulting in a delay in releasing these funds. I understand the embarrassment this must have caused and I apologise for this lapse in service standard and for the adverse effect it had on your stay.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hilton Adelaide in the future.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton Adelaide on Saturday Night. There standard room would not be classed as
five stars in fact the tiles in the bathroom would make it lucky to be three stars. On top of poor room standards they put non smokers on the same floor as smokers. Though they refreshed the room after complaint smoke still came through vents. With in hours the clothes to be worn for a
dinner function smelled of smoke. Offered another room on next floor but had two smaller beds instead of one large. What is the point of staying in a 5 star hotel if you have a bigger bed at home. The cost of their rooms are not worth it compared to other 5 stars in Adelaide.
The worst thing out of the night was the following morning at the breakfast. Staff were running around as very busy and trying their best. I heard the head waitress have a go at a male and female employee in front of customers. These two staff members had not stopped once while I was there. I was embarrassed for them and myself. This was not how you speak to staff in front of customers whether they deserved it all not.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GSMMEchanical

Dear GSMMEchanical,

Thank you for your constructive comments regarding your recent stay with us.

I appreciate your honest feedback regarding the standard of the room you were allocated. We have completed renovations to some of our rooms however we are in the process of planning the next phase of our refurbishment program where we aim to improve other guest areas in the hotel. We have 4 smoking rooms left in the hotel due to demand therefore in times of high occupancy these rooms are utilised after extensive cleaning. I apologise for your disappointment and that there was no other appropriate room to be reallocated to.

I did note your comments regarding the situation you witnessed during breakfast. This type of behaviour is not satisfactory and I apologise that you felt embarrassed during this time. Please rest assured this will be discussed with our Restaurant Manager to ensure the team are reminded of what is acceptable in this type of environment.

I hope you will allow me the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

Located directly on Victoria square it is walking distance to everything. All kind of good restaurants just around the corner on Gouger St. A short walk to Rundle Mall. Rooms are spacious and bathrooms are nicely appointed. Exercise room is reasonably outfitted but they had only one elliptical.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear ColoTravellers,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Hilton Adelaide.

I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay and you found the location of the hotel convenient and in walking distance to many popular restaurants and shopping areas within the city.

Your comments are appreciated with regard to the gymnasium and I am pleased you were able to make use of this facility during your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

The Adelaide Hilton is very centrally located, next to great restaurants and cafés and with easy bus and tram access to many venues. Our room was a bit tired and dated. The upholstery on the chairs needed replacing and the wardrobes etc could have been more functional.
We chose not to use the restaurant as it was pricy and there were many cheaper cafés and the restaurants in Chinatown district close by.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
Free wifi was only available in the lobby area and was very inefficient. Surely it is not too much for Australian hotels move into the 21st century and provide free wifi to all rooms, especially at the rates that are being charged.

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear Barbara R,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us.

I am pleased that you were happy with the location of the hotel close to many popular restaurants and convenient access to the tram located opposite the hotel.

I appreciate your feedback in regards to your room. I am pleased to say we are in the process of planning our next phase of refurbishment to guest areas of the hotel.

We do provide free Wi-Fi in the Lobby, Restaurants, Executive Lounge and Meeting Rooms. We have recently changed providers to ensure a better product is offered to our guests. I apologise if you found this inefficient.

I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I often stay at the Hilton Adelaide for 4 nights this week, 2 nights as part of a conference and then an additional two for follow on business appointments. Firstly the positive attributes, the Hilton Adelaide is located in an excellent location, breakfast was expensive though excellent with the fresh juices a great idea. The staff a breakfast were also friendly and pretty good operators though the fabulous lady making eggs an omelettes could have used a bit of help. Rooms are pretty good, excellent beds and desk to work at. Believe it or not, another big plus for me is a decent iron and ironing board and the one here is a dream to use and saves all important ironing time. The guys handling the parking are always very helpful and they are the best ambassadors for the hotel. The negatives, the showers in room 625 was awful, no water pressure and one of those useless showers that can also be used as a handheld showers. The water pressure for the tap in the vanity was also hopeless and made shaving an extended exercise. I ordered room service on the Wednesday night at 11.00pm for dinner after getting back from work late and what a disappointment. A simple toasted ham, cheese and tomato sandwich ain't difficult to master however this debacle of a creation beyond belief. I called to advise room service that my stone cold toasted sandwich at $20, wasn't going to cut it. The staff member was genuinely apologetic and offered to replace it however I declined, all getting too late and i wasn't going to play toasted sandwich roulette all night. My first ever boss at a patisserie had a motto that has stayed with me thirty years later 'do it once, do it well, pride in your craft'. You've so gotta get this simple stuff right. I'm even happy to show the Hilton staff the simple art of the toasted sandwich next time I'm in town just so we can get this simple sustenance saviour spot on. The clincher was when I asked for a stamp from the concierge so I could send a card to a colleague that was getting married on the Friday. I had no cash on me so I asked if I could put the cost of the stamp on my room. This elicited a strange look and a reference to be stamp being $0.60c. I felt I then had to explain myself and tell the staff member I had no cash on me and that I was rushing to get the card in the letterbox by 6.00pm. Feeling awkward about the whole experience I then quickly went up and got $1.20 from my room, bought another stamp and rushed off to the post office box. At $304 per night, I don't expect this sort of treatment but I've also come to expect as part of be 5 star Australian hotel experience....as a rule generally friendly but sometimes thoughtless. All in all, the Hilton Adelaide is ok, it lacks The Sebel Playford's overall warmth however the location and the fabulous valet guys help keep the place in the game. Also, let me know if you want some complimentary toasted sandwich classes for the staff and I mean it.

Dear Adabroad D,

Thank you for your in depth account of your experiences at Hilton Adelaide and thank you for your continued loyalty.

We are fortunate to be located in Victoria Square and I am pleased that you find this convenient for your business appointments when travelling to Adelaide. We do have a great team that take great pride in their work and I am pleased that you have experienced this especially from the valet team.

I did note your comments regarding your Room Service. This is not the standard we are striving to achieve and please rest assured this will be discussed with the Outlets Manager to ensure this standard is improved and to the standard that you would expect from a five star hotel. The experience you had with Concierge and buying a stamp is disappointing. I apologise that this simple request turned into something so complicated.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.