“Met my business Needs but not more.”
Review of Hilton Adelaide

Ranked #18 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed here as part of my business trip to Adelaide, and chose the hotel as I am an Hilton Honours Member. The check in process was smooth, and quick, and no line. The room was ready. I felt that the process was too automated, and not personalized. No information about the facilities, no mention of Breakfast, dinner times offers etc. I found this very poor standard, and have experienced better at 2 star hotels. There is no offer of prepaid breakfast like at many of the other Hilton Hotels in Australia, and was rudely told that you have to arrange this before you arrive. First I Have heard of it.

I wasnt even directed to where the lifts were and walked around looking for it for a few minutes and had to sheepishly ask someone.

Rooms: The rooms were good. A number of scuff marks on the walls. The furniture was tired, chipped and very marked. The bed was fantastic and large as at all of the Hilton hotels, It made for an excellent night sleep. The executive room had both a seperate shower and bath which I found was great. The bath was large enough to be relaxing. Loved the peter roth products including the bath tablet.

Service: I found the food and beverage service very average, no smiles at the bar and decided to go outside for food and beverage. I also have to give a plus for the Barista in the morning, made a fantastic coffee, and arranged for a mixed fresh juice as I was running late for my meeting. Very friendly and accommodating, and made my day better with her suggestions. Please give her a catch me at my best nomination as I didnt have enough time to fill it out.

Facilities: The pool was ok, but located outside, but if it was colder might be an issue, as well as its located on the terrace. The gym was basic but suited all my needs, and also has a sauna and dipping pools which get a large tick from me.

Overall a good stay, lots of room for improvement with the reception staff. Will stay again in July.

Room Tip: Ask to face the front of the hotel, and min of an executive room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
PNorsell, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear queenanttraveller,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your constructive comments in regards to your recent stay at Hilton Adelaide.

I was pleased that you had a good stay and you found the check in process smooth. I did note your comments in regards to the lack of personalised service and explanation of the hotel facilities on check in which will be discussed with the Front Office Manager to ensure the team take that extra step providing the service you would expect from a Hilton property.

We have recently carried out some minor refurbishment to some of the rooms with further plans in place to improve the guest areas of the hotel. This is a big task that will be carried out over a period of time to ensure minimum disruption to our guests.

I was pleased that you found the barista in the Brasserie Restaurant friendly and accommodating however I was concerned about the lack of service you received from some of the other outlets. This is not the service we are striving to achieve and please rest assured this will be discussed with our Food and Beverage Manager who will reiterate with his team the importance of providing a five star service with a smile.

Our pool and spa facilities are a great way to end the day and I am pleased that you were able to make use of these and unwind after a busy day.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Adelaide in July.

Hilton Adelaide

Write a ReviewReviews (2,467)

Reviewed June 8, 2013

This is not a new build hotel. It's a 30-year-old building in the middle of Adelaide. So it doesn't compare favourably with the Hilton South Wharf in Melbourne, for example. The rooms are smaller than would be built now for a hotel of this class, with showers but no baths, and you do hear the noise of the city. But set aside those expectations and you'll generally get everything you expect from a good quality hotel.

We were traveling for a conference for my partner's work, but had asked for an extra night at the start to fit with my work commitments. When we arrived, the event agency had extended the stay in the wrong direction, and the Hilton was full. The staff checked all the paperwork, helped us find alternative accommodation, and gave us a taxi voucher to get us across town even though the problem wasn't of their making. So great customer service experience that extended through the whole stay.

Rooms face either Victoria Square (East) or the Central Markets (West). Much of a muchness. Some traffic and tram noise will filter up and if you can't cope with the sounds of the city then you really need to stay somewhere other than the dead centre of the CBD (South Terrace or Hindmarsh Square, perhaps).

Three gripes. No plug for the sink in the en suite; I meant to ask at reception but never got around to it. The fire escape notice on the back of the room door was for a different room; I'm the kind of person who notices these things. Sitting in the lounge after checking out, it took some hours (four or five) before any of the tables were cleared of the various plates, bowls and coffee cups that had accumulated during the afternoon.

It's a great location for getting around Adelaide by foot or by public transport, with the tram (free within the CBD) over the road. Not so much if you're planning to bring a car and take it out regularly; it's quite a traffic-clogged area during the day. If you know Adelaide and like the idea of staying on Victoria Square, bear in mind that the square is undergoing a major facelift and is an inaccessible works site until December 2013.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear ConradHC,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay and you were pleased with the customer service you experienced from the team when an extension of your stay was required.

Hilton Adelaide has indeed been open 30 years and therefore is due for an upgrade in certain areas. We have recently finished some minor refurbishments and there are plans in place for future improvements to the guest areas of the hotel.

I did note your comments in regards to the fire escape notice in your room and please rest assured this is something that will be investigated as a priority. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

We are very fortunate to be located on Victoria Square, close to many popular eating spots and in walking distance to the shopping areas. There is currently some improvements being done on Victoria Square with minimum interference to passing traffic.

I was concerned about the delay in clearing the tables in the Lobby Lounge which will be discussed with the Lounge Manager. I apologise and rest assured this is not the service you would usually experience at Hilton properties.

I hope I will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton Adelaide in the future.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Corridor is dimly lit, carpet grey and black, doors black – unfortunately showing lots of foot & finger prints on walls. Road work on Victoria Square made it impossible to sleep. for $304.00 per night? I don't think so. Entrée, main course and dessert were cooked to perfection. Presentation was excellent. They centre their menu (provided) around Central Market and local cuisine. It has a modern Australian theme and is well executed. Timing between courses was adequate. Service was adequate. A bread order was forgotten about. One friendly waitress who served coffee at the end of the meal inquired as to how the meal was – not the main waiter. Bar service only – no table service. We were not advised of last drinks so when we went to order a second round of drinks, were advised that the bar was closed. Toilets located in the lobby service the brasserie restaurant and lounge bar. These toilets were not very clean – the mens toilet had only one functional basin (the other basin had no tap) and a crack in the urinal. There were trestle tables immediately outside the bathrooms indicating a function area and the tables had dirty glassware on them that remained there for the majority of the evening.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
PNorsell, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear Soliman Z,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted that you enjoyed the food in the Brasserie Restaurant. Our Executive Chef and his team take pride in creating some exquisite dishes using local ingredients and I am pleased that you were happy with the way it was prepared and presented.

I did note your comments in regards to the room rate. We do regularly monitor and review the local market to ensure we keep up to date with what is on offer however I apologise if you felt that you didn’t get value for money on this occasion.

Table service is offered in the lounge area of the Collins Bar however in the front section we offer bar service to ensure a faster more efficient service during busy periods. I have spoken with the Bar Manager in regards to informing guests when last drinks are being served and he will reiterate with his team to ensure plenty of warning is given to guests. I apologise for the inconvenience and disappointment you experienced.

Our bathroom facilities in the Lobby area are cleaned on a regular basis throughout the day and this will be monitored more closely to ensure they are kept to the standard expected of a Hilton Hotel. I have discussed the maintenance issues with our Chief Engineer who will action this immediately. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

The hotel is located right next to Chinatown and Central Market, so you will not go hungry. The yum char/dimsum is offered by a number of restaurants in Gouger St. The hotel is also centrally located and within walking distance to Rumble Mall. However, the first sight of the building--it is not interesting at all (I'm being polite about this). But then I suppose Adelaide, as a city is not that interesting architecturally. Much thought is given over to the ballrooms and function venues, as the hotel is very popular for those. The picture of the lobby is actually of the lobby bar, so if you sit down there, you will be asked what drink you would like to order. The lobby bar is not that large, as it looks in the picture. There is no real lobby sitting.
The room I had was very generic, and you could be in any contemporary hotel. Not any artistic drama in the rooms. i suppose they think that their guests would rather go out and party downstairs. There was a drunk guest who knocked on my door at 3am, obviously very drunk and couldn't find her room.The hotel is also stingy and does not provide free wifi in the rooms. There is free wifi in the "public areas", meaning their lobby (but there is no space to sit except in the lounge bar). I had better wifi signals walking in Adelaide beside the Ambassador Hotel, and the SAW building across from the Hilton. The desk clerks are very friendly and approachable.
I could have rated this hotel lower, except that they had a lounge singer on Friday night that had a dreamy and mellow voice, that erased my annoyance at having to do my internet work in the lobby. The singers on Saturday, a couple, did not attract me as much.

Room Tip: I reckon if you've been partying downstairs in the function rooms and had a little much to drink...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
PNorsell, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear nzphotog,

Thank you for your review of Hilton Adelaide on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased that you were happy with the location of the hotel and you found the variety of restaurants on Gouger St and in China Town to your liking.

We are very fortunate to be located in such a prime location in Victoria Square close to all the popular eating spots and in walking distance to Rundle Mall and other shopping areas.

I was disappointed that you found the lobby and atmosphere of the hotel uninteresting. We do have future plans in place to make upgrades to the areas you have mentioned. As you can imagine this will be a large project therefore it will take time to ensure minimum disruption to our guests.

We have recently changed our internet provider to help improve the connection and we have also installed a connectivity station in the Lobby area for guest use. This may be useful to you when you next visit. I apologise for the inconvenience on this occasion.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to Hilton Adelaide in the future.

Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Location is great right next to Goucher Street for endless choice of restaurants. Hotel is in need of renovation. The rooms are clean but worn. The bathroom is dated and if not for the location would not recommend it. Definitely a 3-4* hotel and only pricey due to Hilton name and location.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Leisuretraveller11
PNorsell, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2013

Dear Leisuretraveller11,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased that you found the location of the hotel conveniently situated next to the Central Markets and close to many popular restaurant’s on Gouger Street however I was concerned that you were disappointed in the hotel itself.

I appreciate your honesty. We have recently completed some minor refurbishments throughout the hotel and please rest assured there are plans in place for further improvements in the near future to ensure we keep up to date with the current market and ensure we provide the five star product our guests expect from the Hilton brand.

I hope you will allow me the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton Adelaide in the future.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is a well located hotel in the CBD of Adelaide with a free tram service at the front door to get around the city centre. My room on the 17th floor was large and comfortable with an excellent work desk which I used extensively during my stay. It is an older property but well maintained and very clean, the bed is extremely comfortable. The only down side is the need to improve the soundproofing on the windows which almost seemed to amplify seemed the noise of vehicles and sirens etc around the CBD. All the staff I dealt with were helpful and friendly. I certainly found the brasserie breakfast to be excellent with freshly made juices to order and an extensive buffet with good coffee. The gym is a bit of a let down, it has limited equipment, a significant amount of which was unserviceable during my stay . Overall though a very good hotel I thoroughly enjoyed my stay

Room Tip: Get as high a room on a corner as you get two large windows and plenty of natural light
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
PNorsell, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear David H,

Thank you for sharing your experience of Hilton Adelaide and I am certainly glad you enjoyed the Brasserie Restaurant during your recent stay.

A wide selection of items are available on the breakfast buffet made from fresh local ingredients and our talented Chef’s do a great job of ensuring all tastes are catered for. I appreciate your positive comments in regards to the service you received. We are very proud of our team and their spirit of genuine hospitality.

We are in a perfect location within the CBD, close to the business district and within walking distance or a free tram ride to the shopping areas.

I did note your comments in regards to the noise and the faulty gym equipment which will be investigated further. We value your opinion and please rest assured your feedback is used to ensure we constantly monitor and improve the operation.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Adelaide in the future.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We went for a 1 night stay at the Hilton, we decided to go through last-minute.com. It stated they were a 5star hotel. The person on the door, just looked when we arrived, we had to go to him to get our car parked. Check in was good. The corridors to the rooms were dark - definitely a danger for sight impaired or the elderly. The room was small in comparison to other hotels we have stayed in. The bathroom was tiny - the shower had mould in the grouting on the walls and floors. Breakfast was not inspiring, the food only just warm. Would definitely NOT stay there again or recommend it to others.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jan11Adelaide

Dear Jan11Adelaide,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Hilton Adelaide on Trip Advisor.

We appreciate your feedback and are certainly disappointed that you were not satisfied with your experience on this occasion.

I do apologise that you were not totally satisfied. We do strive to provide a five star service to our valued guests and unfortunately on this occasion we fell short of providing this to you.

Please rest assured we take all comments seriously and we are following up on all of the concerns you have raised.

I hope you will allow me the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future for a more enjoyable stay.