“Very good Hilton”

Ranked #17 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Melbourne, Australia
“Very good Hilton”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here for several days in October 2012. The guest room was clean and a good size. My first stay was in a regular room without Club access. My second stay I had to take a bigger room due to high demand, this room gave access to the Club facilities. The cost of the second room was expensive and I'd not add much to the experience. The Club facilities however were a bonus. The location is convenient to restaurants. Check out was slow.

Room Tip: Choice rooms overlooking the square - much nicer. Don't bother with suites. Rooms that provide...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
NicollaGregory, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear ALS55,

Thank you for your reviews on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased that you were happy with the rooms allocated to you on both of your stays and you were able to experience the Executive Lounge which provides all day service to our Executive Floor guests with complimentary evening drinks and canapés.

We are fortunate to be situated close to the central markets and many fine restaurants on Gouger Street.

I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton Adelaide in the near future.

Hilton Adelaide

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Oh my God ( I am not religious ) The Hilton Adelaide I cannot avoid being harsh in my assessment of this place ( I hesitate to use the word hotel ) this was without doubt the single worst accommodation experience I have had in recent memory. I cannot get over how terrible this place was.

I have to admit I have always being rather sceptical of the Hilton brand as the quality of the experience depends greatly on the specific hotel and factors such as its age ( Hilton’s don’t age well and this venue typifies that view ) and the importance of the market it’s in ( Needless to say Adelaide is not Beijing or New York so I wasn't expecting the world in any case ) and after staying here I would continue to give Hiltons whenever possible A wide berth even in the best cities. However I had no choice staying here given it was included in a conference package.

Check in was easy, I was apart of a conference group so I was checked in very fast and efficiently by Ms Wing and was on my way to my room quickly after a day at a trade show ( I do use the term room with some reluctance in this view ) Not that I needed help with my two bags but I was judge a Hotel partly on if someone at reception is observant or considerate enough to ask if I do need help, I don’t know how many Hotels across the world I’ve been in where your literally chased down by hotel staff who see you carrying your own bags and consider it almost A mortal sin. ( regardless I always tip generously on such occasions )

The Hotel driveway was also interesting it resembled something of a traffic jam cars parked everywhere barely the room to pass any of them. Surely the valet parking folks could arrange things not using the packed carrier hanger deck methodology considering the surrounding streets looked quite empty. It really made the place look like it had a touch of mayhem which well in retrospect may be true.

I arrived at my room 406 opened the door and revealed the worst looking Hotel Room I have seen in a long while, before being overcome with a subtle fragrance of musty air and old smoking residue. I don't know which historical period this room was from but it was period that we should consider erasing from history.

The room consisted of two single beds ( Way to soft and poorly secured to the floor so when you sat on the bed it was start to move around ) a single chair, a single lounge chair who colour was at odds with the rest of the room, A desk and probably the most modern item in the room a LCD TV with a remote that didn't quite work if you used it whilst sitting on the far end of the bed. The 70s vintage bar fridge whined away with a low rhythmic groan that reminded me of A twin engined Antanov Transport Plane. The room was also poorly lit unless you had every blind folded back and quite tired looking overall but the real treat was the view revealed once the curtain was opened of the backend of the tennis court fence and the electrical service area with just a small glimpse of the outside world to balance such fine scenery.

The bathroom is also an example of design gone wrong. Sure the avocado green and concrete colour grout walls may have made a design statement in the 1980s but that was then this is now. The general condition of the Bathroom I felt was quite poor the plasterboard had seen better days as had the taps and switches. The taps never ran really hot in the shower and the whole bathroom had pipework running everywhere like it was the washroom on some old Russian Submarine. The scarce scattering of no name soaps and shampoo rounded out the bathroom didn't even bother using them thank god I had some supplies from home.

Sorry but for A Hotel that claims to be 5 star I expect better. Design tastes aside.

The bed as I mentioned was terrible so it was a hopelessly bad nights sleep, I couldn’t wait to check out the next morning. Check out was quick and easy best part of the experience at the Hilton Adelaide was leaving it vowing never to return, Won’t ever be back I assure you.

I am amazed people have heaped praise on this hotel, Folks should really get out and see what the world standard is like in order to see Hotels like the Hilton Adelaide as the sub standard offering they really are.

Room Tip: Do not accept 406 under any circumstances avoid if you have the choice.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Novemberbravo1974
NicollaGregory, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Novemberbravo1974,

Thank you for taking the time to forward your feedback on your stay at Hilton Adelaide and thank you for the positive comments in regards to the service you received from the Reception team.

I was concerned to read of the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and I apologise for your disappointment. We are currently upgrading all the guest areas of the hotel and as you can appreciate this is a large task that will take some time to work through. We are currently undergoing an exciting upgrade in the Lobby area which should be complete early in the New Year which will modernise the look and feel of the hotel.

I apologise that this trip was not up to the standard that you expected from a Hilton property and I hope you will allow me the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future so you may get to experience our upgraded facilities.

Richmond, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Centrally located and with a great reputation and for good reason!
During my stay the staff went out of their way to make my stay enjoyable. The quality and service is fantastic. The food and service in the restaurant was without compromise.
If you are heading for Adelaide, you should definitely stay here.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the park have a great view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Rob C,

Thank you for your positive comments in regards to your recent stay at Hilton Adelaide.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and you were happy with the service you received from the team. I am pleased that you were able to experience the fine local produce our Chefs serve in the Brasserie Restaurant.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Adelaide in the future.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Mr N and I stayed here for my birthday. We were greeted at reception by very friendly staff and given keys to a executive room which over looked the hills and east of the city. Rooms were very clean and spacious. We shared birthday drinks with our son and his partner which room serviced had organised champagne glasses, ice and complimentary truffles. I felt very spoiled but that was just the beginning we then ventured up to the Executive Lounge which has self serve drinks and plenty delicious pre dinner nibbles although staff also were happy to serve us drinks and cleared empty plates away regularly. Later was dinner in the restaurant which was fantastic, great range of beautifully presented food and again staff couldn't have been more attentive. Lastly with a couple drinks in the Lobby bar we both felt relaxed and had had a wonderful evening. We eventually went back to our room and crawled into a very comfortable bed and I didn't even use my special mattress I travel with. Big thanks for all the staff for a very very memorable birthday! U

• Stayed October 2012
NicollaGregory, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Dear Lindsey-Nils,

Thank you for your comments in regards to your recent visit to Hilton Adelaide.

I was pleased that you had a memorable birthday and that you were able to enjoy many of the outlets and experience the delicious local produce offered in the Brasserie Restaurant.

I appreciate your positive comments regarding the team. It is pleasing to read comments such as yours and I’m glad we were able to help make your birthday an enjoyable one.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Adelaide in the near future.

Hervey Bay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

A friend and I stayed here to catch up over a weekend.

I was upgraded from a Hilton Guest Room to an Executive Room which overlooked the south eastern corner of the city with views to the Adelaide hills, a very nice room, quiet and nicely furnished, with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was good, but the shower a little small.

My friend stayed in a Queen Hilton Guest Room, which overlooked the north western corner of the city. The room was spacious with a two seater lounge, but I suspect the bathroom may not have been updated in the time since the hotel first opened in the early 1980s.

We used room service quite a lot for both food and drinks and the service was always friendly, quick and efficient.

The Executive Lounge offers a self service bar and range of snacks and canapes. Both the Executive Lounge and the main check in counter are staffed by very friendly, helpful personnel.

Overall, we got a great deal and were very pleased with our stay and look forward to staying again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear SK,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

It was pleasing to read that you had an enjoyable stay and that you were happy with your room and your upgrade to an Executive Room.

I was delighted that you were happy with the service you received from the team particularly from the Front Desk, Executive Lounge and Room Service. We have a great team that pride themselves on guest satisfaction and I am glad that you were able to experience this.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Adelaide in the future.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

I enjoyed the big hotel suaveness, quality and anonimity. When at conference I just want to have a well serviced comfortable room, which is exactly what I got. I was allowed to book in early by a most friendly and efficient Imogen, thanks most helpful. Room was very comfortable with a big bed. Shower water came out of area onto bathroom floor otherwise very comfortable. Service staff very friendly and helpful. 3 nights very relaxing.

Room Tip: Front rooms get better view of city but nearer road so possible noise. I had a back room whick looke...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
NicollaGregory, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Diddums M,

Thank you for your positive comments on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay while attending a conference and your room was comfortable and serviced well.

I appreciate your comments in regards to the service you received from Imogen and the team and I will be sure to share your feedback with them personally.

We have a great team who truly care for our guests and this is evident in comments such as yours.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Adelaide.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

I used HiltonHonors miles to stay 2 nights.
I was pleasantly surprised - The room was simple, but functional.
I specifically liked the bed & desk, and the surrounding space. The TV pivoted on a post, so I could easily view it from the desk & the bed!
The shower in the bathroom, did not use the typical flimsy door, or shower curtain, instead it comprised of a large rectangular space, with the long side only half enclosing the shower with a solid glass divider. It was simple, open & comfortable, with no silly moving or flopping parts ...

I had a view of the western suburbs, the airport & the ocean .... so sunsets were nice!
Car was parked by the concierge & delivered when I needed it.

As I see it, It is a comfortable hotel set up for individuals travelling for business.

I went from Adelaide to Perth, where a lesser hotel was charging 2 to 3 times the Hilton rate, which reinforced my approval of this Adelaide Hotel. (Perth has hotel cost issues!).

Note: in Australia, I have given in to using a data card/wifi modem from one of the Telephone companies - they provide faster data rates than the hotels, and can be used on my phone & multiple computers, and I get one years worth of use for what I would typically pay in data charges in one week at the hotels!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Gary-L8,

Thank you for your feedback in regards to your recent stay at Hilton Adelaide.

I was pleased that you had a comfortable and enjoyable stay and you were happy with your room and its facilities.

I am pleased to say that we are in the process of reviewing our internet facilities for our guests with the aim of improving the service we provide with more options available.

We do offer many services at our Business Centre including the availability of meeting rooms and our Executive Lounge is also available to our Executive floor guests as an extra option for business travellers.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Adelaide soon.