“Good place to stay in Adelaide”
Review of Hilton Adelaide

Hilton Adelaide
Ranked #18 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Egham, United Kingdom
“Good place to stay in Adelaide”
Reviewed March 13, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel several times before. This time we had two stays either end of a break in the Adelaide Hills.

We are long standing HHonors members and we always get well treated here. First stay was a recently refurbished room which looks very modern and spacious. Nice decoration and very comfortable bed. Second stay was an older room on the Executive floor. I prefer the layout of these rooms but it did look somewhat dated compared to our other room.

The Executive Lounge is very good although it can get a little crowded. However, we had two very different experiences in terms of the lounge hosts. To be fair, apart from the young man who was in charge on the Sunday night, they were all very helpful and happy to have a chat. The young man in question was a complete waste of space - if you wanted anything you got it yourself or you knocked on the kitchen door to wake him up!

Overall this is an excellent hotel in a great location with most of the staff very happy to help.

Room Tip: The ones at the back overlooking the Central Market are quieter but no view to speak of
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
AJHeath, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts from your recent stay at the Hilton Adelaide. Happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your recent visit and your continued loyalty to the hotel.

I did note your feedback regarding the décor of our rooms. Our modern and recently refurbished Deluxe rooms do have a minimalistic theme to them where as our Executive & Deluxe Plus rooms have a more timeless look and feel with more artwork apparent.

I appreciate your comments regarding the Executive Lounge team, and expressing your concern on the service standards. Moving forward I will evaluate these areas with the Executive Lounge Manager to relieve further disappointment in future stays.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards
Michael Schmitt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Busy for the Adelaide festival, and individual staff very very nice and helpful especially in the Executive Lounge.
Swimming pool and hot tub all a bit cramped and needing refurbishment.
Breakfast in bistro is OK but at busy times not enough staff and certain food items "finished"... not really acceptable in a 4 * hotel... Dirty dishes piling up at a servery right next to tables...bad planning and staff overwhelmed with too many guests.
Reported issues but no response from Management...who seemed very absent and need to connect more with guests in the hotel.
Less good than the time we had there a few years back...and now much more expensive too.

Room Tip: Get a deal forthe Executive Floor level with free breakfast
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wemyss1
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience of Hilton Adelaide. I am pleased that you were able to enjoy our Executive Lounge and appreciate your kind words reflecting the service provided by our team.

I appreciate that we did not meet your expectations in certain areas on this occasion and would encourage you to contact me personally so I may speak with you further regarding your stay with us.

I can be contacted on adelaide@hilton.com.

Thank you again for sharing your review and I look forward to speaking with your further.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed March 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed for two nights at the Hilton and thoroughly enjoyed it. We upgraded to the Executive floor and were pleased we did. The lounge is excellent and the Vietnamese lady ( sorry could not remember her name ) who was in charge in the evening was just wonderful. Very friendly and helpful. The rooms are well appointed with a very comfortable bed and good size bathroom with a great shower . The staff are very friendly and pleasant. The hotel is in an excellent location that allows you an easy walk in the evening to numerous good restaurants in the area. I come to Adelaide numerous times through the year on both business and leisure. Subject to price this is my hotel of choice every time.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
AJHeath, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Hilton Adelaide on Trip Advisor.

Naturally I was very pleased to read your review and am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay, and the team looked after you with genuine care and hospitality. I am glad that you enjoyed being in the hub of Victoria Square with the easy tram access to both the Rundle Mall retail area and Glenelg beach.

We appreciate your brand loyalty and hope we may welcome you back to Hilton Adelaide again soon.

Reviewed March 2, 2012

Stayed in a refurbished room which was pleasant but we still had to listen to the neighbors in the next room talking and showering. We thought we had a leak into our room but it was the next door shower, sounded like a waterfall in the room. The pillows are appalling, 2 small, hard pillows which would have been impossible to sleep on. We asked for 2 more pillows from housekeeping, waited half and hour then asked again and they eventually arrived. They were better but still pretty awful. The executive lounge is a joke - do not be tempted to pay more for executive access as we did. Arrived late off a plane and wanted a drink. Despite the lounge being open until 11pm you can't get a drink there after 8pm. This was 10pm and they wouldn't budge. What was the point in an extra $100 a night. Breakfast in the lounge is continental only, for full breakfast you have to go downstairs. Breakfast was standard hotel fayre, not good enough for a 5 star hotel. The whole experience was underwhelming, especially considering how much we paid. Good location but wouldn't stay here again, it's overpriced and over rated. Very disappointing.

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank Banksy1290
AJHeath, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Adelaide on Trip Advisor. I appreciate the candour of your commentary and regret we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I did note your feedback regarding the noise from the adjoining room, which was surprising as this has not been raised previously. Naturally I apologise that the pillows were not up to your standards as well as the delaying in delivering more pillows and have discussed your comments with our Executive Housekeeper. We have recently purchased our yearly supply already of extra pillows and more will be supplied in every room.

I also appreciate your comments regarding our newly refurnished Executive Lounge. As advertised, our complimentary evening drinks and canapes are served from 6 to 8pm and anytime thereafter you can purchase drinks from the selection available. Whilst we do only offer a continental breakfast in the Executive Lounge, as an Executive Floor guest you are also entilted to enjoy our full buffet breakfast in the Brasserie Restaurant including eggs cooked to your liking and freshly squeezed juices as features of the more than eight items on offer.

I would greatly appreciate speaking with you to attain more tangible detail about your experience which we then could act upon. In this regard I would encourage you to contact the hotel directly at Adelaide@hilton.com.

Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I am on business in Adelaide on the eve of the Fringe Festival opening and the town is jumping. Its the 30th birthday of the Hilton and the place is scrubbed up a bit for it. Being a Hilton Member I booked for a room upgrade in advance and recieved it in check in. The room was comfortable and what I love about Hilton is the availabilty of quality pillows. I ordered an extra 3 soft - clearly I have a pillow thing. The bed was good and the bathroom clean with excellent quality soaps etc. The towells were OK. It was a smidgin under 40 degrees and the airconditioning seems a little tempramental - OK important information - the windows open - didnt realise this until we were leaving and Ms S discovered. She loves fresh air. We were there three nights and the foyer was always busy - its the busiest Hilton foyer/lounge bar I have seen in Australia - and its casual. Its different and reminded me of being there back in the Grand Prix days. We only used the restaurant for breakfast and it was hectic. I was in early, Ms S a little later in the morning each day and we both commented that the staff were under pressure. I must say that in the last two months I have noticed restaurant breakfast staff under pressure in a couple of Hilton hotels. Maybe a change to staffing levels. They kept smiling as did we. We did not use the other restaurant facilites though I have before and found them good. Do yourself a favour and try Mesa Lunga just a 10 minute walk away - now theres a restaurant that has the vibe. The Hilton is right amongst it and you can walk just about everywhere that is plus. I think I like the hotel and you seem to get used to the incredibly busy foyer//entrance area. I am back in May and will toss up between this and the Intercontiental or the MajesticRoof Hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
AJHeath, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this review, March 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience of Hilton Adelaide on Trip Advisor.

I am most certainly pleased you continue to enjoy your time with us and appreciate your loyalty. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the facilities of your room especially the king bed and pillows and the comfort they provided. We have just updated our bathroom amenities so thank you for your review of the new products. On days with extreme heat, it can take a little longer for the air conditioning to kick in and start cooling the room.

The hotel is very busy throughout the festival season, and it has created a wonderful atmosphere. We are very lucky to be positioned right in the heart of the city, which has in turn created a higher demand for all operating outlets. Thank you for noting the smiles of our team members who despite this busy period are so passionate about their jobs.

We look forward to welcoming you again to Hilton Adelaide soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 27, 2012

My stay at the Hilton Adelaide came unexpectedly after my flight home was cancelled and the airline was forced to put me up in a room overnight.

After a long night I was shifted from the airport to the Hilton with a hundred other people and, feeling moody and annoyed, was hoping for a quick and easy check in. Luckily the hotel obliged and after taking an indentation of my credit card (they will hold $100 for up to three working days) I was sent off to my room, but not before admiring the truly exquisite light fittings that hang above the bar/dining area (right near reception).

The room was not much different to any other city Hilton hotel room. Standard furnishings, mostly brown and white, nothing modern or contemporary. Windows that cannot be opened and a bathroom that looks like it was designed in the 70s. However, it was the quality of these basic furnishings that were outstanding. The view from the (non-opening) windows was beautiful (I was on the 14th floor), at night and day; the shower offered a dinner plate sized showerhead straight out of the roof, ensuring the most relaxing shower you’re bound to have in a city hotel; and for those of us who hate stepping into a bath to have a shower – these standard rooms offer separate baths.

The best thing of all was the enormous king-sized bed which was so incredibly comfortable I don’t even remember when I fell asleep! The pillows are plump and fresh and are hands down the best pillows I have ever experienced in a city hotel room for a long time (they’re often hard or incredibly full).

The buffet breakfast the hotel offers will blow the mind of anyone, even those who are used to hotel buffet breakfasts. It’s pricy at $37 each, so I recommend you avoid eating for a few days to really get your money’s worth!

There is nothing overly endearing about this hotel, but if you’re looking for a solid, comfortable, quiet hotel to stay at that is right in the middle of everything Adelaide has to offer (and only around 15 minutes from the airport), then you simply can’t go past the Hilton. The rooms are of standard size, so you wont be having any parties in your room, and I wouldn’t stay here for more than a couple of nights simply because it’s more of a ‘business’ hotel than a ‘leisure’ hotel, but if you’re looking for something comfortable, functional and convenient then head for here.

Room Tip: Best suited to business travellers, or leisure travellers staying a night or two.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank robynab
AJHeath, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts from your recent stay at the Hilton Adelaide. Happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the king bed in your room, and the comfort it provided after a long day waiting in the airport.

Thank you also for your reflections on the quality of the fittings in and around the hotel, we are very lucky to be in a prime position in the city with some great views of Adelaide.

At Hilton Adelaide we have our Seriously South Australian food philosophy using local produce wherever possible at all meal service periods including breakfast. We constantly receive positive comments from guests on the quality and quantity of food that is served during breakfast, and are pleased that you enjoyed this experience.

Next time you are on a scheduled visit to Adelaide, we would love to welcome you back to the hotel.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 26, 2012

This is one of my favourite hotels, I have been staying there just about everytime I come to Adelaide. It is located centrally next to Victoria Square next to Central Market. As Hilton Gold I got upgraded to Executive Floor (and Adelaide Hills view) without fail, and they now offers me free buffet breakfast at The Brasserie (rather than just free continental breakfast at Lounge). i have always been looked after very well. I will definitely come back again!

Room Tip: Ask for high floor, Adelaide Hills view. It is much better than sea view (very far and you cannot se...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
AJHeath, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Hilton Adelaide and your continued loyalty to the hotel. Naturally, as a Hilton Honors Gold member you have special membership benefits and we do our upmost to ensure you have a great stay.

I also appreciate your kind words for the team and I shall share that with them.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.