“Great stay for corporate event”
Review of Hilton Adelaide

Hilton Adelaide
Ranked #18 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I stayed at the Hilton Adelaide for three nights in September 2011. I was in a king room, which had a king size bed, a writing desk, a great bathroom with a beautiful rain shower, and all the standard amentities that one would expect with the Hilton (mini-bar, iron and ironing board, room safe, etc).

The breakfast was quite nice and there are numerous choices for hot and cold food. It would have been quite easy to spend an hour or so over breakfast, before wandering around the city to find somewhere for lunch.

The front desk staff was courteous and helpful. I was travelling on my own and felt perfectly safe staying there. If I was in Adelaide again, either for personal or business, I would stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank JMB
AJHeath, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Hilton Adelaide.
Naturally I was very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and were able to sample the Brasserie breakfast buffet.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next you are in Adelaide.

Michael Schmitt

Write a ReviewReviews (2,421)

Reviewed October 9, 2011

Sometimes a Hilton goes the extra mile, and sometimes a Hilton falls a little bit flat. The Hilton in Adelaide falls neatly between the two. Mostly I loved my stay, and although there were a couple of minor niggles, in generally I felt it was well worth the money, and an excellent place to stay.

At check-in, I was quickly recognised as a Gold member of HHonors, and upgraded to an executive room. This is one of the most important perks of HHonours to me, and here it was well worth it. The executive room feels just a little bit roomier, with fast internet, and a great minibar. The bathroom is particularly good, but for me I can always tell a hotel’s maintenance by seeing how many lightbulbs are blown and need replacing: in my bathroom there were two! Tut.

One of the most outstanding parts of the Hilton is the executive lounge. In the Hilton it is high up with a great view of the hills. Every evening between 6pm and 8pm there is a canapé (two) hours here. In most Hiltons this just means a few snacks, but in Adelaide it is very good indeed with lots of hot food, excellent salmon, Mexican dishes, a good salad: really good indeed. There is also a good free bar, with plenty of beer, three different type of wine, and even a sparkling wine, plus the usual spirits. This for me is a clincher. One sad omission from this excellent spread was the lack of Baileys in the fridge: an odd omission.

There is breakfast in the lounge too, but I chose to go downstairs to where there was a proper hot breakfast. The bacon and eggs were very good and fresh, and the staff there welcoming.

I booked a wine tour, and the hotel main desk were very knowledgeable about all the tours on offer: I took the one they recommended, and had a great time wine tasting the Adelaide hills.

Both evenings I was there I caught up with friends in the lobby bar which is – shall we say – looking a bit dowdy and tired, with yet more blown light bulbs. It’s also terribly dark, without a view. I was hoping to move to the main hotel bar – Charlies Bar – which overlooks the trams. Alas it was closed all evening both days. Again, curiously annoying however the bar staff in the lobby turned this around by suggesting some of the other local hostelries. Good to see them suggesting customers leave the hotel – but why not open the main hotel bar? In the end I stayed in the hotel, and asked the bar staff if they had any local beer I could try… and got a rather blank look, while they hurriedly consulted the menu. In the end I tracked the excellent Pepperjack beer – brewed in the Barossa, and a real local curiosity, with hints of Shiraz in the flavour and finish. Full marks to the Hilton for stocking this.

But all in all an excellent stay, and well worth the money.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Lorks

Dear Guest

Thank you for your very concise review of Hilton Adelaide following your recent stay with us.
We appreciate the items you have highlighted as the “minor niggles” and will review with the relevant departments.
I am pleased you enjoyed our updated Executive Lounge offering and also had a chance to experience breakfast in the Brasserie.
Sunday and Monday nights are the quietest in our area of Adelaide and we find that the atmosphere in Charlie’s Bar is not what our guests expect so prefer to offer the Lobby Lounge on these evenings.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Adelaide again soon and thank you again for your review.

Reviewed October 3, 2011

Stayed for 3 nights across October long weekend as HH Silver member. No apparent upgrade was provided nor asked for.

The lobby is clean and very nice.

Check in was fast and efficient. Sam who checked us in was very friendly and informative. When she realised it was our first visit to the Hilton Adelaide, Sam took the time to pull out a local map and show use where we were plus where all the sights and attractions were. The duty manager then came to greet us and handed over his business card.

We stayed in a standard room with kind bed on the 7th floor.

The room was pre-prepared with 2 bottles of free water which was replaced each day.

The room appears to have been recently renovated with modern fittings. It is of modest size (not overly large, but comfortable for 2 persons). There was a single lounge chair, work desk with chair & lamp & easy accessible power points, king bed, 2 bedside tables with the standard Hilton alarm clock. There was a well stock (quiet) minibar and a closet for clothing.

There was a flat screen TV with a wide variety of channels and excellent reception. The TV was on a hinge which allowed it to be rotated. Very nice.

The bathroom was compact and recently renovated. There was a large shower, toilet and basin. Crabtree & Evelyn products were supplied as usual. The water pressure was fine. There appeared to be no noise from upstairs bathrooms which was a real treat.

The aircon worked well and was quiet.

House keeping was well done but the "freshen my room now" sign was clearly ignored with the room always cleaned late in the day.

We ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant which was included in the package. Service was excellent with being offered machine made coffee at no extra charge vs the usual filtered rubbish. There was the usual high quality selection of hot & cold foods with eggs of any kind freshly made to order. Coffee refills were also offered. The fresh juice bar was excellent. Overall an excellent breakfast selection which seemed fresh and tasty.

The outdoor pool was not used due to it being too windly. It is exposed to the full elements but heated at 26 deg C apparently. Inside there is a gym with a good selection of equipment plus a heated spa (35 deg C), cold pluge pool and a sauna (70 deg C). It all seemed to work well.

The hotel has 4 public elevators so this makes accessing your floor faster during peak periods.

Check out was fast & efficient.

The hotel location is fantastic in the centre of the city. There are a lot of restaurants within a few mins walk. Plus there is a Coles supermarket right next door if you want to buy snacks and food. There also a local free tram service right out the front door of the hotel. There is also a free local bus (number C99) which does a free city loop. The bus stop is 1 min walk away. It stops at a lot of attractions.

Overall this was a very pleasant stay and we would happily return.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dropandflop
AJHeath, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2011

Dear Guest

I was thrilled to read your review of Hilton Adelaide on Trip Advisor.
Naturally we are always appreciative of first hand feedback of our performance as it allows us to monitor and improve our services by focusing on the needs of our guests.
We have noted and reviewed those areas where we did not meet your expectations and look forward to you visiting Adelaide and the Hilton again soon.

Reviewed October 3, 2011

Looking forward to a 'spur of the moment' escape, to celebrate our daughters end of school term, we were hoping for a little but of luxury and pampering. Our excitement quickly turned to disappointment the moment we arrived at checkin. No smile to be found - just a gruff, officious process, bordering on hostile, which left us feeling disappointed with our choice of hotel. Checkin staff need to realise that they set the tone - and that a smile and willingness to help can make or break a holiday experience.
Having booked a King Deluxe room, it brought further disappointment. It was not particularly inviting, although obviously refurbished. Room 601 lacked warmth or personality - painted a cold grey tone and lacking any welcoming touches. The view was of neighbouring rooftops and the airconditioning was loud all night through. Given that we'd booked in as 3 people, there were only 2 sets of towels and 1 bathrobe.
If you're looking for a special escape, do not accept a room on the western side of the building as you'll only see dirty roofs. The eastern side, I would imagine, would have a view overlooking scenic Victoria Square and beautiful buildings.
The gym is well equipped but the spa room is uninviting - some plants would at least add some interest. The pool is outside - too cold for swimming in the winter months.
We asked for a late checkout and were shocked at the $30 per hour charge - something we've never experienced anywhere previously!
The only thing we could truly compliment was the buffet breakfast - both the staff and the food were excellent! - we all loved the fresh juices, individual bircher mueslis, smoothies, wonderful assortment of fruits, and eggs made to order.
Overall, a clean hotel, good breakfast, but nothing to write home about!

Room Tip: If a view is important to you, do not accept a room on the western side of the building as you'l...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank HappyHolidayzz
AJHeath, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2011

Dear Guest
I appreciate your review of your recent experience at Hilton Adelaide and regret we did not meet your expectations. I have addressed the issues that you faced on check in with our staff and hope the next time you are in Adelaide we can welcome you come back to experience the level of customer service that we are reknown for.

I appreciate you also had some concerns regarding your guest room and these have been shared with our Executive Housekeeper. The room you occupied has been recently renovated and is of modern design, however we do also guest rooms reflecting a more homely feel. We do have guest rooms sharing both the Victoria Square and City aspects along with rooms that looked toward the sea.

Thank you for your positive review of the Brasserie breakfast from both a food and staff perspective and we have noted your reflection of the indoor spa area.

Overall we appreciate your constructive review and hope we can welcome you again soon.

Reviewed September 29, 2011

They charge $30 per hour for a late checkout - ridiculous.

I can understand if they can't do it cause they're full, but when I asked if it was possible they said yes, it is $30 for each hour after 11am. I explained that I really wanted to checkout at 12 but wasn't going to pay another $30, they offered to check with their supervisor.

Called me back - yes you can have a late checkout, it will be $30 for each hour after 11am. ???? This wasn't new information, this was what she had already told me - what was the point! I explained that I found that very disappointing.

Honestly, little things like this really annoy me. They had the opportunity to delight me but giving me something that was important to me and cost them nothing - however, they chose to try and make extra money out of me! Seems crazy, especially as I had been staying there for 3 nights.

sigh...it's tainted my experience at the Hilton and is now what I remember about it most.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank e r
AJHeath, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for your candid review of your recent stay with us. I apologise that the $30 per hour late charge was of concern during your time with us. We do try and work with guests individually at the time to see if late check outs are possible and are quite often able to assist in this regard. The front desk team are reviewing their communication of this procedure so they can be more flexible if possible.
I do thank you for letting us know your point of view and regret this tainted your overall enjoyment of the hotel.
We would welcome the opportunity of restoring your faith in our service in the future.

Reviewed September 29, 2011

Great holiday staff excellent but an uncomfortable bed. (1502) we got a great advance purchase rate so the rate we paid was great value

• Stayed: September 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Hilton Adelaide on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted that you enjoyed the overall holiday experience but naturally am disappointed that the comfort of the bed let us down.
We are gradually introducing the luxurious Hilton Serenity Bed with Super Topper for further comfort in all rooms, unfortunately the room you stayed in did not have the super topper in place as yet. We have found this makes a considerable difference to the comfort of the bed.
Thank you again for your comments and we hope you can return to experience the Serentiy Bed soon.

Reviewed September 26, 2011

What a pleasant surprise! Everyone I met from the checkin person to bell boy to breakfast staff could not want to do more to help. Big pat on the back people. That's what keeps customers coming back- good service.
I was lucky and got one of the refurbished rooms. Nice but not over the top. The handle on the wardrobe fell off but that was fixed within minutes. They have different types of pillows on tap!! Amazing! The bathroom was small and there was no bath. Breakfast was extensive. Location wasn't too bad either. A quick brisk walk down to the mall or the market was next door. Lots of restaurants in gouger st if you did not want to eat in the hotel.
Well based on this experience I have signed up to their frequent guest program and might have to change my hotel chain!

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank oztripster
AJHeath, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your recent visit to Hilton Adelaide on Trip Advisor.
Naturally I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time in the hotel and in Adelaide and the team were appreciative of your “ pat on the back “.
I am very pleased that you have joined Hilton HHonors and am sure you will find that you benefit from the program in no time.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Adelaide again soon.