“Great food and service”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We had a great brunch sitting outside at the South Australia Gallery Cafe's patio area. After wandering the city for a while, we decided to try the gallery cafe as we were planning on seeing the Dark Heart Adelaide Biennial that day anyway. We couldn't have made a better choice!

The staff were wonderful and attentive, and the food was delicious! I went for the vegetable hash, with a poached egg and a side of bacon - the hash itself was wonderful, nice and fresh and a really different option for breakfast. The other two orders at my table were the Australian Angus beef, which by all accounts was lovely and tender, with a huge crispy potato hash brown, and the basics (poached eggs on toast) with a side of smoked salmon which again was very well received.

I would definitely return to the Art Gallery restaurant for a meal, it was a fantastic experience!

Reviewed April 12, 2014

This cafe has a lovely location : partly in the foyer of the Art Gallery and an outdoor area overlooking a green lawn and the older buildings of the Adelaide University.

Regrettably the service does not quite matches the genteel atmosphere of the surroundings.

The water I asked for , arrived after after I finished my meal and after having reminded 3 times the waiters.
My entree of calamari, was of a ridiculously small size and lost in a large plate . Far too expensive for the minuscule amount.

1  Thank mada4046
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We had a great lunch in lovely surroundings, sitting on the patio of the Art Gallery. Very inventive and creative menu, food was presented very nicely, and service was attentive. A great place to have a quiet and leisurely lunch.

Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

Perfect spot for lunch but even more amazing is that this place understands service. I was rated, I was offered water, a drink, my guide dog in training was given a bowl of water, and everyone came to us. As guests came more of the same, food was really lovely and fresh and well priced, absolutely the perfect lunch spot in Adelaide. 10/10 for your staff. To top it off just like in the best Paris cafés they brought the bill and processed it! No standing in lines at counters! Fabulous will be a weekly visit!!

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Went to the art gallery to see the latest exhibition. During the visit we had lunch at the cafe. It was very busy due to the public holiday and the amount of festivals and events on in Adelaide.
We had to wait a bit for a table to become available, which was not a problem as the gallery is right there. The staff were very friendly and were quick in taking the order and bringing the food.
The food itself was very nice as was the desert. Overall, a very nice meal.