“The best week I had in Australia”
Review of Groovy Grape Tours

Overnight Kangaroo Island Wildlife Adventure from Adelaide
$352.07*
3-Day Great Ocean Road and Grampians Trip from Adelaide to Melbourne
More attraction details
Owner description: All inclusive bus tours featuring Australia's most exciting and iconic destinations: the Barossa Valley wine region, Kangaroo Island, the Great Ocean Rd & Grampians, Flinders Ranges, Outback and Red Centre. Especially designed for the youth, backpacker, adventure traveller, who want fun informative adventurous trips. Knowledgeable and passionate tour guides, who understand the history, culture, people, landscape, flora and fauna of the places you’ll visit. These culturally aware tours have been endorsed with accreditation in Eco Tourism and Tourism Business.
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Leaving Alice for Kings Canyon, moving onto Uluru and Kata Tjuta before heading down to Coober Pedy and the Flinders Range, the Rock to Water tour took in all of the attractions that make Australia unique. The sights were amazing, the campsites were fab and the food was great. As a vegetarian, food on tours can be a bit hit and miss but there was always plenty of veggie options.

The tour was made extra special and memorable thanks to our fantastic guide Steve, quite possibly the most enthusiastic and positive person I have ever met. Full of interesting stories, knowledge and lots of funny catchphrases, he was an absolute star. The best guide of any tour I’ve been on and completely responsible for making the trip the fun and memorable experience it was. Thanks for an amazing week!

2  Thank SafariGirl82
Kristy C, Public Relations Manager at Groovy Grape Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Nikki L,

Thanks for your review on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the vegetarian meal option. Our guides really make an effort to provide nutritious, fresh and hearty options for everyone, even those with special dietary requirements. They avoid bland veggie patties where possible and plan for meals where the meat can easily be omitted, colourful str-fys, veggie loaded pastas, curries, bean filled tacos, even bbq's can be delicious for vegetarians on Groovy tours with corn on the cob, char-grilled capsicum and zucchini and sometimes haloumi cheese if it's available!

Our Groovy Guide Steve is a star! His energy and spirit is truly infectious and his groups always finish their Groovy tours with the same passion for Australia he possesses.

There are newer reviews for Groovy Grape Tours

Reviewed December 5, 2013

If you are like me and like to check off all the boxes of things to see and do while on vacation, this is the trip for you. I was a little nervous about the registration process because I didn't receive written confirmation until the day before my trip, but after that, I have no complaints (except for maybe the less than perfect weather). Since this is a budget tour, you will not be pampered and catered to, but then again this tour is 1/3 the price. One is expected to help with food preparation and clean up. I traveled with my nine-year-old daughter, and we both had a fantastic time. This tour caters to 19-35 year-old, active, backpacker-type people, so my daughter was the only child on the trip, and was able to keep up. This would not be the right tour for very young children, or those who are not used to interacting with adults. We are vegetarians and had excellent and plentiful food options. It also helped to have an Italian father/son pair who cooked our pasta dinner for us. Our tour guide, Brawny, was excellent and knowledgeable about the island despite the fact that she typically does the outback tour to Alice Springs. Our tour had only 10 participants, so we had plenty of room to stretch out in the 21 passenger van. We had a 6 am departure from Adelaide, and after arriving on KI had a short trip to the beach at Pennington Bay, saw the seals up close at Seal Bay, sandboarded at Little Sahara, kayaked at Vivonne Bay, did the Koala Walk at Hanson Bay, then overnighted at Flinders Chase where, for an extra $60, my daughter and I upgraded from shared bunks to a private room which was excellent. We watched kangaroos hop into the sunset. We departed from our lodge at 7am the second day and hiked Snake Lagoon, then toured Admirals Arch and Remarkable Rocks. We had lunch at Flinders Chase National Park Headquarters, then due to rain visited Emu Ridge Eucalyptus Farm and Cliffords Honey Farm where we could sample the honey and purchase very tasty honey ice cream. Unfortunately, the weather was cold, rainy and windy, and therefore not amenable to snorkeling. We arrived back in Penneshaw at 5 pm in time for the afternoon ferry.

1  Thank Gayle G
Kristy C, Public Relations Manager at Groovy Grape Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Dear Gayle G,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry you didn't receive a confirmation until the day before your tour, but happy to hear you enjoyed the actual touring experience! You are right in saying our tours are not suitable for younger children and it is for this reason we do not allow children under the age of 5 to travel with us.

Our tours are value for money, but not luxury and there is an "interactive" element for food preparation and clean up, where by everyone is encouraged to participate with the guidance and help of the tour guide. This also gets everyone chatting and cooperating to get the job done and eventually you can sit down together to meal that you can all be proud of.

Wet weather can be problematic for the water activities on Kangaroo Island, such as swimming, snorkeling and kayaking, but luckily there are many other interesting sights on the island to explore.

"Whirlwind" is certainly a good word to describe our 2 Day Kangaroo Island Wildlife Adventure, as we really action pack the 2 days so you get to experience the whole island!

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have been to Kangaroo Island during my stay in Adelaide and it was an experience I'll never forget!! The island is sooo beautiful, it is difficult to describe. The only thing I can do is recommend you to go there and you will find out what I am talking about. Especially with the company Groovy Grape as they had organised it very well, everything was included and the tour guide was the best guide I have ever had. Because of him we did spot many animals. Furthermore, the beaches and special sites like the remarkable Rocks are so special that we as a group could stay there for hours, just watching these fantastic places. All together, it was really a groovy tour!!!

1  Thank Ingeontour

Dear Inge,

Thank you for your review of your 2 Day Kangaroo Island Wildlife Adventure on Trip Advisor. Our Groovy Guides are all experienced in areas they tour, whether it be Kangaroo Island, Barossa Valley, the Great Ocean Road & Grampians or the Outback & Red Centre. You can always go to Kangaroo Island by car, but without a Groovy Guide you will not know the best viewpoints to take photos, spot wildlife or watch the sunrise/sunset!

Reviewed November 29, 2013

I would just like to share with you how i felt after one of your tours which included the Great Ocean Road and Grampians and our shocking tour guide Dan.
I have never met a person so arrogant, selfish and ignorant, how this person has a job is beyond me never mind a tour guide.

I also share these thoughts with a number of other participants of the tour and just hope the share their own personal feedback with yourselves.

The trip started well with his introduction and collection on time but that seemed to be the best bit, the trip itself was interesting its a shame the tour guide didn't actually know anything apart from 'i think this is the place' or 'i think that'
(if you think something that means you don't actually know)
plus when he says i can't get out the van here as a sign of my respect to the aboriginal people, yet he speeds down roads and disrespects every other sole going.
Out of respect or just plain lazy.... you decide.
I would just of liked some interesting facts about the aboriginal people, or why the 12 apostles are there or why they are called that.
When asked a question he would respond with, ill find out for you (which is fine if you come back with a response) then repeat the same question and get no response. This happened on multiple occasions not just myself.

I booked this tour because it had what i wanted, what looked like a great trip and what you would need to be active on, you got meals included and accommodation. What i didn't know was that we would be stopping at shops for 'supplies' 3 or 4 times a day, none of the meals included anything healthy ie salad or fruit options (instead on the bus the option was sweets, lollies or chocolate), the meals also included burgers at lunch time and an evening with just pizzas just because the tour guide is too lazy too cook.
The other lunch time we had wraps which is fine as there was a healthy option and tacos on the last night which he said he was going to cook but it ended up a couple of the girls and guys off the trip.

I understand about off mucking in together to get a job done, but this includes the tour guide and maybe i was wrong but i was under the impression the guide cooks the evening meal like with every other trip i have been on. Also with washing your own plate, knife, fork, spoon and cups, and cooking utensils every once in a while. This is also the responsibility of the guide he is meant to be working not on holiday like the rest of us.

I paid for a service this was far from received.

I understand the need to communicate with a large group, i understand this could be difficult with a number a different nationality's especially those trying very hard to speak English, so i would expect them to be given more time to communicate and find out more information. I guess that i am lucky and am English and could actually help out the people who were struggling!!

By day 2 most were getting very angry at his approach and how most seemed to be ignored apart from the 4 young girls on the trip who seemed to be getting a lot of attention.

When asking questions i was made fun or generally with a sarcastic remark, i did not once appreciate this and spoke to him on the first night about it. In which yes you guessed it i got a blunt response of you will have to listen next time. I can tolerate rudeness but this was extreme.
Every conversation was about Dan and if it wasn't about Dan it got turned into a conversation about Dan.

I couldn't wait to get off the bus.
What an awful person but not a bad trip needs massive improvement.
Also if he does actually train other tour guides i'm not surprised he has such a low pass percentage. I've never in my life heard so much rubbish come out of someones mouth.

5  Thank Peter B
Kristy C, Public Relations Manager at Groovy Grape Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear Peter B,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all feedback, as it gives us an opportunity to improve our tours.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your tour with Dan. As you know, once we received your review/email we investigated the issues detailed. It was difficult to ascertain exactly what happened, due to the lack of passenger feedback. We did however, call some of the passengers on your tour and it was noted that there was separation among the group, which may have caused some angst.

We do encourage our passengers to help the tour guide with meal preparation and clean up, however it is unacceptable for the tour guide to leave his or her dishes for the rest of the group to clean. Dan has been made very aware of this fact. Since your review we have also made all tour guides aware that the purchase of lollies and chocolate as snacks between meals are not allowed and more nutritious options, such as fresh fruit and muesli bars are recommended.

It is not normal practice for our tour guides not to provide information about the sights and attractions we visit on tour and if they don't know the answer to a question, they should research and find out for the customer. Dan has received additional training on the Great Ocean Road and Grampians regions since receiving your review. Most Groovy Guides relish in the opportunity to provide information about the places we visit with pride and passion, so we apologise that Dan did not convey the same enthusiasm on this occasion.

We have reviewed Dan's log book and cannot find any evidence of his speeding.

Dan is not responsible for the training of other tour guides. Up until now, we had not received any negative feedback from his tours, but rest assured, we are monitoring his performance.

We hope that you enjoyed the beauty of the Great Ocean Road & Grampians, despite Dan's perceived rudeness and lack of customer service.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I did the Mel-Adelaide tour and really enjoyed this. the groups was older than expected, but everyone was gung-ho for fun and adventure. the guide Bryan was really knowledgeable and atiently answered my 101 questions about everything and even shared his plant and bird books with me so i could read up on more things.
One minor complaint was that we weren't offered any of the extras that Groovy Grape advertises on their website and that they had confirmed with me via email.
Re: the accommodations - the first hostel was just ok and the second much better, what wasn't (in my opinion) fair was the extravagant single room surcharge for such rooms. it was way more than warranted for what you got.
but overall the trip was worth it and the places were beautiful.

1  Thank lyn m

Dear lyn m,

Thank you for your review of your Great Ocean Road & Grampians Tour on Trip Advisor.

I am happy to hear that Brian was able to answer all your questions! He is a very experienced Groovy Guide, with a wealth of knowledge to share with his groups.

I am sorry that you were not able to do the any of the Adrenalin Plus optional extra activities that you expressed an interest in prior to travel via email. I am wondering though, if you mentioned this to Brian as the Otway Fly Treetop Walk and Helicopter Flights are very easy to arrange on tour.

The extra cost for a single room is currently $115 for both (2) nights of the tour. As the group stays in backpacker style accommodation, the upgrade option is a private room within the hostel, so it is indeed very basic. It is a tour designed for backpackers/adventure travelers and so most people do opt to stay in a shared room, which is included in the tour price anyway.