“Shocking Tour guide the one star is for the tour”
Review of Groovy Grape Tours

Overnight Kangaroo Island Wildlife Adventure from Adelaide
$349.27*
3-Day Great Ocean Road and Grampians Trip from Adelaide to Melbourne
More attraction details
Owner description: All inclusive bus tours featuring Australia's most exciting and iconic destinations: the Barossa Valley wine region, Kangaroo Island, the Great Ocean Rd & Grampians, Flinders Ranges, Outback and Red Centre. Especially designed for the youth, backpacker, adventure traveller, who want fun informative adventurous trips. Knowledgeable and passionate tour guides, who understand the history, culture, people, landscape, flora and fauna of the places you’ll visit. These culturally aware tours have been endorsed with accreditation in Eco Tourism and Tourism Business.
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I would just like to share with you how i felt after one of your tours which included the Great Ocean Road and Grampians and our shocking tour guide Dan.
I have never met a person so arrogant, selfish and ignorant, how this person has a job is beyond me never mind a tour guide.

I also share these thoughts with a number of other participants of the tour and just hope the share their own personal feedback with yourselves.

The trip started well with his introduction and collection on time but that seemed to be the best bit, the trip itself was interesting its a shame the tour guide didn't actually know anything apart from 'i think this is the place' or 'i think that'
(if you think something that means you don't actually know)
plus when he says i can't get out the van here as a sign of my respect to the aboriginal people, yet he speeds down roads and disrespects every other sole going.
Out of respect or just plain lazy.... you decide.
I would just of liked some interesting facts about the aboriginal people, or why the 12 apostles are there or why they are called that.
When asked a question he would respond with, ill find out for you (which is fine if you come back with a response) then repeat the same question and get no response. This happened on multiple occasions not just myself.

I booked this tour because it had what i wanted, what looked like a great trip and what you would need to be active on, you got meals included and accommodation. What i didn't know was that we would be stopping at shops for 'supplies' 3 or 4 times a day, none of the meals included anything healthy ie salad or fruit options (instead on the bus the option was sweets, lollies or chocolate), the meals also included burgers at lunch time and an evening with just pizzas just because the tour guide is too lazy too cook.
The other lunch time we had wraps which is fine as there was a healthy option and tacos on the last night which he said he was going to cook but it ended up a couple of the girls and guys off the trip.

I understand about off mucking in together to get a job done, but this includes the tour guide and maybe i was wrong but i was under the impression the guide cooks the evening meal like with every other trip i have been on. Also with washing your own plate, knife, fork, spoon and cups, and cooking utensils every once in a while. This is also the responsibility of the guide he is meant to be working not on holiday like the rest of us.

I paid for a service this was far from received.

I understand the need to communicate with a large group, i understand this could be difficult with a number a different nationality's especially those trying very hard to speak English, so i would expect them to be given more time to communicate and find out more information. I guess that i am lucky and am English and could actually help out the people who were struggling!!

By day 2 most were getting very angry at his approach and how most seemed to be ignored apart from the 4 young girls on the trip who seemed to be getting a lot of attention.

When asking questions i was made fun or generally with a sarcastic remark, i did not once appreciate this and spoke to him on the first night about it. In which yes you guessed it i got a blunt response of you will have to listen next time. I can tolerate rudeness but this was extreme.
Every conversation was about Dan and if it wasn't about Dan it got turned into a conversation about Dan.

I couldn't wait to get off the bus.
What an awful person but not a bad trip needs massive improvement.
Also if he does actually train other tour guides i'm not surprised he has such a low pass percentage. I've never in my life heard so much rubbish come out of someones mouth.

5  Thank Peter B
Kristy C, Public Relations Manager at Groovy Grape Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear Peter B,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all feedback, as it gives us an opportunity to improve our tours.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your tour with Dan. As you know, once we received your review/email we investigated the issues detailed. It was difficult to ascertain exactly what happened, due to the lack of passenger feedback. We did however, call some of the passengers on your tour and it was noted that there was separation among the group, which may have caused some angst.

We do encourage our passengers to help the tour guide with meal preparation and clean up, however it is unacceptable for the tour guide to leave his or her dishes for the rest of the group to clean. Dan has been made very aware of this fact. Since your review we have also made all tour guides aware that the purchase of lollies and chocolate as snacks between meals are not allowed and more nutritious options, such as fresh fruit and muesli bars are recommended.

It is not normal practice for our tour guides not to provide information about the sights and attractions we visit on tour and if they don't know the answer to a question, they should research and find out for the customer. Dan has received additional training on the Great Ocean Road and Grampians regions since receiving your review. Most Groovy Guides relish in the opportunity to provide information about the places we visit with pride and passion, so we apologise that Dan did not convey the same enthusiasm on this occasion.

We have reviewed Dan's log book and cannot find any evidence of his speeding.

Dan is not responsible for the training of other tour guides. Up until now, we had not received any negative feedback from his tours, but rest assured, we are monitoring his performance.

We hope that you enjoyed the beauty of the Great Ocean Road & Grampians, despite Dan's perceived rudeness and lack of customer service.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I did the Mel-Adelaide tour and really enjoyed this. the groups was older than expected, but everyone was gung-ho for fun and adventure. the guide Bryan was really knowledgeable and atiently answered my 101 questions about everything and even shared his plant and bird books with me so i could read up on more things.
One minor complaint was that we weren't offered any of the extras that Groovy Grape advertises on their website and that they had confirmed with me via email.
Re: the accommodations - the first hostel was just ok and the second much better, what wasn't (in my opinion) fair was the extravagant single room surcharge for such rooms. it was way more than warranted for what you got.
but overall the trip was worth it and the places were beautiful.

1  Thank lyn m
Kristy C, Public Relations Manager at Groovy Grape Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Dear lyn m,

Thank you for your review of your Great Ocean Road & Grampians Tour on Trip Advisor.

I am happy to hear that Brian was able to answer all your questions! He is a very experienced Groovy Guide, with a wealth of knowledge to share with his groups.

I am sorry that you were not able to do the any of the Adrenalin Plus optional extra activities that you expressed an interest in prior to travel via email. I am wondering though, if you mentioned this to Brian as the Otway Fly Treetop Walk and Helicopter Flights are very easy to arrange on tour.

The extra cost for a single room is currently $115 for both (2) nights of the tour. As the group stays in backpacker style accommodation, the upgrade option is a private room within the hostel, so it is indeed very basic. It is a tour designed for backpackers/adventure travelers and so most people do opt to stay in a shared room, which is included in the tour price anyway.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Just did the Rock Patrol tour from Adelaide to Alice Springs. It was only the best tour of my life and I have done a few. Sam, our guide, is what tour guiding is all about. He makes you feel comfortable, safe and interested. He's a lot of fun, a good driver, good cook and in the end, a good mate. The way he explains the aboriginal culture and the geological formations is priceless! We had a lot of fun, even in the long drives, were we were split into teams and played a fun competition. We didn't even feel a 13 hour drive... The tour itself is awesome and I did get the feel of the real australian outback. The food was plenty and snacks were always available. Sleeping under the stars is just unexplainably magical. And then there is Uluru...
I was also very lucky with the group. Met a really awesome bunch of people! We were 21, a full bus, but got along perfectly due to a good mix of personalities from Holland, France, Spain, Poland, Switzerland, Denmark, Corea, Taiwan, USA, Ireland, Wales, England and Portugal! After only 6 days together, saying goodbye to them was really hard!

Sam, thanks mate, you made the trip! Keep up the amazing work!

Paulo - Portugal

5  Thank pabreu10

Dear Paulo,

Thank you for your fantastic review of your 6 Day Rock Patrol Tour on Trip Advisor.

It's great to hear that your Groovy Tour was best tour you have EVER done! Sam is a great tour guide and a real professional in the outback. It sounds like he was able to facilitate some fun bus games for the group to break up the big drive between Coober Pedy and Yulara.

Sleeping under the stars in the outback is a true Australian experience and actually quite comfortable and warm! It's great that you had a group of so many different nationalities, as it really adds to the whole cultural experience and you will not only learn about Australia, but countries all around the globe!

Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

The best tour ever done!
We saw everything possible, like koala, sea lions, seals, tiger snake, kangaroos, echidna, wallabe, dolphins...all found in the bush.
Great kayaking and sandboarding and lot of FOOD!!!
Sandy, really do his job as well.
Everything unforgettable!

1  Thank Pierpaolo P

Dear Pierpaolo P,

Thank you for your review of your 2 Day Kangaroo Island Wildlife Adventure on Trip Advisor. It's great to hear that you were able to spot so many different kinds of wildlife too!

Reviewed October 31, 2013

The 6-day bus tour from Alice Springs to Adelaide was the best tour of my 5-month travel in Australia in 2013. We started in Alice and did the traditional 3-days in Uluru, Kings' Canyon, and the Olgas. However, the tour guide was able to point out and share with us things I had not seen on the other tour. From there we headed south to Coober Peddy and Wilmington. The tour guide's enthusiasm was top-rate, especially walking on the Salt Flats and many of the other places we went to. I definitely recommend this tour for everyone. By the way, the tour guide is "Sid". I am sure the tour is good with anyone, but he was great.

1  Thank carla a
Kristy C, Public Relations Manager at Groovy Grape Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear carla a,

Thank you for your Groovy review of your 6 Day Rock Patrol Tour with Sid. It's great to hear that although it was your second time visiting Uluru, Kata Tjuta and Kings Canyon with a tour group, Sid was still able to share some new and interesting details about these sights with you!

It is indeed the passion and love for Australia, it's history, culture, flora and fauna our Groovy Guides possess that sets them apart from the rest!