“Barossa Valley Wine Tasting Tour-Guide not informative”
Review of Groovy Grape Tours

Groovy Grape Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
$312.29*
and up
3-Day Great Ocean Road and Grampians Trip from...
More attraction details
Owner description: All inclusive bus tours featuring Australia's most exciting and iconic destinations: the Barossa Valley wine region, Kangaroo Island, the Great Ocean Rd & Grampians, Flinders Ranges, Outback and Red Centre. Especially designed for the youth, backpacker, adventure traveller, who want fun informative adventurous trips. Knowledgeable and passionate tour guides, who understand the history, culture, people, landscape, flora and fauna of the places you’ll visit. These culturally aware tours have been endorsed with accreditation in Eco Tourism and Tourism Business.
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Generally I didn't think it was such a good wine tasting compared to all the others I've been to. Plus was that guides were very friendly but after driving around Adelaide city for an extra hour to pick up last minute bookings we were already quite tired especially when it happened to be about +40 degrees and it wasn't fair on anyone on the bus that a full hour went to this! During the trip the 2 guides a boy and a girl kept chatting to each other the whole (long) journey to the vineyards..she didn't even mention that we were now passing Adelaide Hills which I found out about on my camera gps. She said that there were no more time to go to see Whispering Wall as we were that late (it was closed anyway due to the extreme heat) and we only had 8! minutes at the Rocking Horse! When we got to Kiels? vineyard the girl there was extremely rude and kept sighing and we felt a bit uncomfortable. Really enjoyed the barbecue we had there but that's about it. Jacob's Creek staff were very friendly and so were the other remaining 2 vineyards.
I know it was a backpacker tour but that's why I booked it 'cause I thought it would be a fun experience for our group. I didn't hate it but wouldn't use them again..:(

1  Thank ILLEMAR K
Kristy C, Public Relations Manager at Groovy Grape Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear ILLEMAR K,

Thank your for your review. We appreciate your feedback and will certainly use it to improve our tours.

I am glad you enjoyed the bbq lunch, which is selling point of this tour for it's quality and variety.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"day tour"
in 25 reviews

Reviewed January 21, 2013

What a great place (Kangaroo Island) and a great tour company. They picked us up at our hotel and took care of everything. Great animals, great sights. I will probably never get back to Australia again, but if I did I would go to Kangaroo Island with them again. We stayed overnight in a pleasant cottage. There were 14 on the trip from a variety of countries. My husband and I were the old folks on the trip. Being with a bunch of kids (mostly in their twenties and thirties) was great fun. Everyone was friendly. The kayaking was lots of fun. Snow boarding, not so much because it rained that morning. Don't miss kangaroo island, and if you go, go with Groovy Grape. We went early in the Summer so we did not do some of the things on the itinerary. It was really too cold to snorkel for example.

2  Thank hmsrobesonia

Dear hmsrobesonia,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad both you and your husband enjoyed the fun and adventurous nature of this trip, because although it is tailored for young people, we don't have any age restrictions on our tours and also welcome the 'young at heart' - like yourselves.

Kangaroo Island is a really special place all year round and although some of the water based activities are not possible in the cooler months, there are other highlights, such as sitting around a camp fire toasting marshmallows which are not possible when it's warmer.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We decided on the Rock to Water tour which was absolutely an out of this world experience. The whole adventure was made memorable not only because of the great group of people we had on tour but more so because of the great guide we had in Matt. It's difficult trying to decide which part of the tour outdid the other but everything exceeded my expectations!!! Even in the ridiculous heat everyone managed to smile. This was the perfect way to see this beautiful part of the country and I would highly highly recommend this tour to anyone wishing to get a small taste of the outback. Going back to civilization was the hardest thing to do after being in the beautiful quiet and serene desert. Loved all the hikes, loved sleeping in the swags under the stars undisturbed by mosquitoes or flies! Matt outdid himself. He was always accommodating us, reminding us to drink lots of water, patient, funny, great cook, all around great guy! He gets five stars in my books! Best experience ever....thanks for the wonderful memories and the wonderful friends made along the way!

1  Thank Melanie L
Kristy C, Public Relations Manager at Groovy Grape Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear Melanie L,

Thanks for your review on Trip Advisor.

I am glad to hear Matt was able to provide a memorable touring experience for you. Matt is one of our newer guides, so it's great to hear he is kicking goals in the outback.

Our guides are trained to look out for the safety of their group and it sounds like Matt did just that. Dehydration is a big issue amongst the travellers in the desert during the summer months and so it is really important to drink 1 Litre of water per hour when out hiking in their parts.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I took two Groovy Grape tours (Great Ocean Road and Kangaroo Island) and was fortunate that both tours had a mix of ages as I am a bit older than I expected the others to be. I really thought I was going to be with a bunch of teens or 20 somethings, and that just wasn't the case. The tours are backpacker class tours and the accomodations are hostels so you will be sharing a room with several others. Some of the accomodations were much better than others. The hostel on the Great Ocean Road tour by the Apostles was pretty rough. But, the hostel in Halls Gap was fantastic. The hostel on Kangaroo Island but Hanson Bay has real potential if the rodent problem gets resolved. Penny did a great job with the food on the Kangaroo Island tour. Everybody pitched in to get a great meal on the table. Be forwarned that if you do the Kangaroo Island tour, you will probably be required to carry some heavy load as all provisions need to be transferred on and off the ferry. It would be too much for a single guide to handle on their own. I was actually surprised at how much the guests needed to do on that tour as it wasn't the case on the Great Ocean Road tour. Maybe it should be better advertised as interactive. It was no big deal and it seemed that everybody enjoyed the communal atmosphere -- just unexpected. On both tours we saw an abundance of wildlife in natural habitat. All in all, the places each tour went were great, the guides knew their stuff and if you are up for the adventure, you are sure to have a great time.

1  Thank PARROT57

Dear PARROT57,

Thanks for your review on Trip Advisor. I am glad to hear you had a good mix of ages in your group and was satisfied with standard of our accommodation providers. We are no longer staying at Hanson Bay Koala Sanctuary on Kangaroo Island and are now at Flinders Chase Farm which offers our travellers both dormitory and camping under the stars options - rodent free.

For most of the tours we do encourage the help of our travellers for various tasks, such as preparation and clean up of meals and loading the kits into the trailer. Most are happy to participate and this promotes positive group dynamics and get's everyone mingling with each other. The ferry transfer on the Kangaroo Island Tour requires us to carry our kits on and off the ferry and if more people help with this mundane task, the quicker we can hit the road to experience action and adventure. We will add this to our marketing material in the future so that our travellers are better informed of this interactive aspect of our tours.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Going on a Groovy Tour, i wasn't quite sure what to expect but one the day we had the most incredible time. We didn't have to worry about a thing, the guide was knowledgeable and aware of the area and could answer any queries we had. It was awesome to have a guide who knew so much about local culture, one of the girls in my group was an international student so to have someone so knowledgeable about the area and history was brilliant! Thank you so much - next time we are looking for something exciting to fill in time, we will be traveling with you guys!!

1  Thank Samara J

Dear Samara J,

I am glad to hear you had a great experience on our tour. Our tours are very suitable for international students, with their informative and fun content. Even our Single Day Barossa Valley Tour is a great way for international students who are new to Adelaide to get their bearings, learn a bit about the local history and culture and taste some of Australia's best wines.