“Good food”

Benjamin on Franklin
Ranked #206 of 1,668 Restaurants in Adelaide
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: this pub has had a major overhaul and it is the funkyist place now and very popular with the city types and everyone else. Lots of old lampshades, cut glass hanging from the ceiling, beer garden with 3 great booths including huge retro lights hanging in each, great food, excellent staff and good wine list too. It ticks all my boxes. They seem like a happy bunch of staff which always makes it a better experience for the likes of me
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Unlike the previous reviews the food was great, all 10 of us commented on how good the food was... Reasonable prices.. The service was ok but nothing to write home to mum about... All in all a good afternoon and would recommend!

Reviewed June 8, 2011

Had a lunch there with my husband few days ago. The place looks inside very nice and cozy. The service was fine but the food was a bit average. I had pork belly - the meat was very nice, but the skin was a bit chewy when it should have been crackling. There was also no real sauce to it, which I really missed. My husband had the porterhouse steak which was done as ordered (medium rare) but the meat wasn't great, a bit chewy. The chips were very nice though.

The coffee we had after the dinner was excellent (cappuccino and espresso).

Reviewed May 29, 2011

I went here for dinner recently and was very disappointed in food and service. It's a shame because the new decor is lovely and I could see myself going there more if it was't for the poor food.

We ate in the restaurant part which meant we couldn't order from the bar menu so I can't judge that. The restaurant menu was somewhat limited but sounded nice enough. I ordered a char grilled angus. At $32 I was expecting something a bit fancier than a pub meal. It came out on a plate with stock standard fries (according to the menu hand cut, but clearly out of a bag) and was well done in my opinion (I asked for medium). That was it, all just piled on the plate, no effort put into presentation of the meal either. It tasted no better than a standard pub meal except it didn't come with any salad. The other 3 people on my table made a bit better choices and were reasonably happy although they too felt that prices were unreasonable for what it was. Add to this that service was extremely slow and somewhat awkward and it all equals to "don't go there for fine dining experience". On the plus side decor is nice so maybe go somewhere else for dinner and stop by here for a drink.

1  Thank aa000