“Awesome day riding outside of Adelaide”

Escapegoat Adventures
and up
McLaren Vale Wine Tour by Bike
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Explore South Australia the best way, by bike! We offer guided and self-guided bike tours, private tours and bike hire. Check our website for full details of all our tours and specials. Tours include winery tours by bike and our unique Lofty Descent downhill adventure, which is suitable for all. We specialise in small groups, and normally operate our tours for 8 or less riders.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed December 11, 2013

It was such a pleasure to join Ian and ride from the summit of Mt. Lofty back into Adelaide city. The Lofty Descents Day Trip is an absolute gem and one I will be doing again in the very near future. Cheers for an awesome day out mate!

Reviewed November 24, 2013

I had heard good things about Escapegoat and I really wanted to do something outdoors in Adelaide (besides wine tasting, ha!) and I also wanted to interact with the local fauna. The Lofty Descents tour checked both off of my list. What fun! We were basically the only people at the wildlife park and the animals were amazing. The mountain biking was so fun that I'm considering adding it to my list of hobbies. Thanks, guys for a great time!!!

2  Thank travelsea7
Reviewed November 23, 2013

This was such a great way to do a wine tour. The riding was fun and not too difficult, the equipment was top quality, the wine and food was excellent and the service was outstanding. I would definitely recommend this to anyone interested in doing a McLaren Vale wine tour with a difference, it really was a great day out.

Many thanks to Ian who is a wonderful guide and really goes out of his way to ensure everyone has a great time. The schedule was quite flexible and I'm sure the riding and the stops are adjusted to suit the riders on each day.

1  Thank Martyvee
Reviewed November 19, 2013

A great day out - nice people, fun biking, delicious wine and food and some great scenery. Wine really does taste better when you have earned it!!

1  Thank Adi J
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Here's the deal. This should be the number one Tripadvisor thing to do in Adelaide. However, it's tough to compete w/ a Barossa wine tour on a bus where you can drink to your hearts content and not have to worry about balancing on two wheels.

Last month I found myself in Adelaide for an extended work stint of 4+ weeks. This was really cutting into my usual mountain bike schedule of 3-4 days a week. I had found Escapegoat before I left the States and it seemed like the thing to do while in town. I was not disappointed. In fact, I didn't just do the Mount Lofty day trip once, I did it twice, then, I rented a bike for the weekend from Ian on the last weekend I was in town.

I was able to call Ian direct to find out when he was running the day trips. At my request he installed clipless pedals on the bikes I rented as well. On the day trips, he picked me up at my hotel and then we picked up some others and then headed to the summit. Once there, you do some sightseeing, take some pictures, get some bike instruction if you need it and then you go. Along the way he explains the scenery and the area. From the summit you ride to the wildlife preserve and tour on foort that for approx 45 min. The entrance to the preserve is included in the cost of the day trip. At the end of the tour thru the preserve, he buys the coffee and teas and light snacks if you want. Again, he pays for that as well.

On the day trips we took one of two paths down the mountain. On the first trip we took a longer route because there were only a me, Ian, and two other gals. As Ian says, there are about '3-4 small hills to climb'. They were not that small. As I don't usually ride at 700m elevation, I got to huffing air pretty quickly going up them. The terrain on the trails is rugged, but manageable. I would watch out if it rains however and the trail is wet. There are numerous rocks and they will be slick. I am experienced mountain bike rider and those with us that day were not. We were all able to navigate the terrain. Ian will direct you down the trail if you need it. On the second day trip, we took the downhill route which didn't have any hills that I remember. Again, same terrain, just a different path.

Once you are off the mountain you ride thru city streets and stop at a couple places along the way. Eventually you'll end up back at his van for the ride home. Total trip time for the first day trip was about four hours and the second day trip was about three. Well worth the money and I told Iam he could probably charge a bit more for what people were getting.

The last weekend I was there I contacted Ian to see if I could rent a bike. I caught a cab to his place and picked it up from his wife. The bikes are all nearly new (less than a year) and well maintained. They are not full suspension but front suspension only and they are the new 27.5" models.

Ian knows his stuff and has really put together a great experience in Adelaide. As I said, it's probably the best one in town. If I'm back in town I'd like to do some of the other trips he offers as well as the mountain bike skills training.

Australians are typically ones to tip extra money for a good experience and good service. Considering what you get on day trips, Ian and Deborah deserve it.

Thanks Ian and Deb, hope to see you in the future.

1  Thank AJT1212