“Cool hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Sydney, Australia
“Cool hotel”
Reviewed July 22, 2010

Great location, comfortanle and practical in every way - best Crowne Plaza I have ever stayed at

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank ER3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I've been teaching at a local University as a visiting academic from the USA, then traveling in Australia since April and this hotel is one of the better experiences I've had. Wonderful service from staff who were genuinely interested in making my stay with them for 7 days throughly pleasant. They were very helpful in arranging my tours and even printing out documents for me since I had not brought a printer on my trip. The location is great, just a short walk to Rundle Mall which is filled with shops and the more historic section of Adelaide where art galleries and museums are located. A great experience. Whatever problems that caused the earlier negative reviews seem to have been corrected. And I have to say......an earlier review, complaining about the style of a lobby sofa is just plain silly.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank TallSeattleGuy
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed July 17, 2010

From the minute I stepped out of the taxi to be greeted by the very friendly and professional Nat, I was impressed by every aspect of this hotel. The rooms were a good size, nicely decorated in an understated way, excellent bathroom, VERY quiet (never heard another guest passing by my room), comfortable bed and pillows that were just right for me (I usually have to bring my own!) The staff could not do enough for you and really made you feel special. The location of this hotel was perfect - so central to everything in Adelaide. I will definitely stay here again and I am fussy - not many hotels please me!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank LBear50
Reviewed July 15, 2010

It's probably worth noting that any reviews posted prior to this date were before the official opening (which was last night). It takes weeks for any hotel to get more than a hundred staff members trained up and confident, iron out any bugs and fix last-minute building/fitout problems so I've deliberately waited until now to visit this hotel.

One would assume that by Opening night everything is up and running to the complete satisfaction of management.

Firstly the staff, Ric, the effusive and uber-efficient Concierge runs a great team at the front door. Our car was whisked away quickly and ready when we needed it the following morning. Check in was easy and, whilst my husband was otherwise occupied, I wandered into the Bar/Cafe to order two take away cappucinos. Instantly delivered with a smile and pleasant chatty conversation. Lovely.

We had a superior room with a King Bed, Bath and huge shower. Couldn't fault the room... I found the bed comfortable but the sheets a little scratchy. Being a brand new hotel though, this is to be expected and I assume they would soften with future washes. Husband however didn't find them that way at all so it could be a "girl" thing or a "me" thing!

I found the room nicely appointed with a lovely view over Hindmarsh Square . I confess that I wondered, if breakfast wasn't delivered on a wheel-in table trolley, where two people would eat a full breakfast... at the office desk? hard with only one chair. As it turned out we never needed to find out because we opted for the full breakfast in Redsalt, the downstairs restaurant. At the table next to me a father with two small children was warmly thanking the waiter for bringing out pancakes which, it appeared had been especially made for the children. Nice! (I didn't see pancakes on the servery so assume this was the case) . Two choices of bacon.. English AND American. Best test of a hotel breakfast buffet? the scrambled eggs. Ours were not made on the spot but perfect straight from the servery.... not dried out or rubbery.. We were asked by the waiter if we would like "real" coffee and thanked him for the quick delivery of cappucinos. (No American-Styele Filtered Coffee an EXTRA bonus!)

This hotel is located just steps away from the main shopping centre, Rundle mall, and the quirky designer shops and restaurants of Rundle Street. Also, it's walking distance from the Adelaide Zoo. The truth is, everywhere in the square mile CBD of the very flat city of Adelaide is within "walking distance" but Hindmarsh square is well-located in the cosmopolitan corner of the East End.

I would happily stay there again and look forward to getting some friends together to try out the Restaurant in coming weeks.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TW_Yachtgal
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 14, 2010

Being a regular visitor to Adelaide, I was interested to see how the newest addition would be for a special visit. Delighted - the top floor room had a great view, the bed was comfy, the staff were very friendly and helpful. Room service was delish and the breakfast buffet was comprehensive and felt like good value. I stay in a lot of good hotels and this was the best experience in Adelaide I have had.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelchamp2010
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed July 9, 2010

Crowne Plaza was a pleasant surprise. I selected it on its keen pricing and from the outside it looked large but indistinguished. Inside there was a generous, airy and modern minimalist design foyer with very efficient and helpful desk and porter staff. The room was excellent - again modern, well lit, a good desk, good TV, classy bathroom, effective air conditioning, responsive Wi-Fi and a great view. The location on Hindmarsh Square is quiet but close to the shopping and cultural districts. The Jasmin Indian restaurant, reputed to be Australia's best Indian restaurant (I agree), is on Hindmarsh Square. I had no gripes and would prefer a stay here to anywhere else I've tried in Adelaide - and Adelaide is a lovely, underrated city.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank fatheralbert
Melbourne
Reviewed July 8, 2010

The decor was fine, room very quiet and the breakfast very good. However, I did not get the service I expect from a five star hotel. Rooms up to the ninth floor look out over the car park. The staff seemed intent in going through their speil rather than meeting guest needs. they tended to rush to help but then made mistakes. Minor requests seemed to irriate the staff. While some were very sweet and helpful, many seemed untrained. Can get much better value in town with a much more porfessional service.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business