“Nice hotel but underwhelming experience”

Crowne Plaza Adelaide
Ranked #6 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Stayed for two nights recently and while the rooms were comfortable and immaculate, feel like the experience was a bit average. We had breakfast included in our package and were quite annoyed the restaurant was badly understaffed. Guests were lined up waiting for a table - there were plenty free, just not cleared quickly enough - we had to wait 10 minutes+ to be seated. Staff were friendly, but frazzled. Actually felt bad for them. We upgraded to a room with views over the hills which was nice. The bed was super comfy, bathroom well equipped and clean. Can't complain about the room at all. Liked the temperature control was in the room and we had a balcony for fresh air. Terrific location, walk to everything.

Room Tip: Book with a view over the hills - the other side of the building would not have a nice outlook
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Linda C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear HappyFamilyMelbourne,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and I am really pleased you found your room to be comfortable and immaculate. I'm of course very disappointed that your breakfast experience was less than satisfactory and this is something we are working with the team on trying to improve. On the days we know we are going to be busy we significantly increase our staffing however during peak times for a number of reasons it can be difficult to keep up (even with all hands on deck). We are continually reviewing our processes and looking at ways to make it better for our guests, it is important to us that our guests enjoy their entire experience. I am really sorry we were not able to do this for you on this occasion.

I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future and you will enjoy an improved experience.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Adelaide

Reviewed October 27, 2013

By being fairly new this place was so clean. The staff were extremely good and very helpful. we were on holidays and the concierge gave us easy to follow directions to all the places we needed to go. Would recommend to anyone.

1  Thank keith r
Linda C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear keith r,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your stay this month. I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and you found our staff were extremely good and very helpful, we are very lucky to have such a wonderful team.

Thank you also for recommending us to others.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel for business on several occasions over the last couple of years. It is a very good, functional, modern hotel that is suited to both business and holiday travellers. The staff are welcoming and friendly and, as an example, on one occasion the concierge went out of his way to chase down a taxi way out on the main road, as the one I had ordered to take me to the airport did not show and timing was getting tight. That's service - and it came with a smile. The rooms are a good size and well appointed with a modern interior design ethic evident. The beds have been very comfortable and the bathroom and shower large. The meeting rooms on the top floor are excellent and flexible with respect to size. Our groups were smallish (~15-20) and all were more than happy with the facilities and refreshments that were provided during the breaks. Meals can be taken in the restaurant and the food, including breakfast, is very good. I would return without hesitation.

Room Tip: South facing rooms have a better view across the city.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Linda C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear Brett D,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and I really appreciate you using an example of the efforts our team go to in order to provide the best service they can.

You know the hotel very well and it is great that you have been able to experience our conference rooms also, I love the fact that they are on the 15th floor with a view to the Adelaide Hills.

I hope you have a fantastic weekend and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Didn't spend much time in Adelaide (flew in on a thursday night and left on a saturday morning) nor in the room itself, but can say that it scored high points on most of the features I look for in a room (not noisy, great features in the room + clean, felt safe, great service from the front desk staff). Since the only day I spent in Adelaide, I spent in the Barossa Valley, I can't comment on the hotel location. I can say that there were restaurants, coffee shops and shops around AND the airport was a 25$ cab ride away

The only thing I didn't like was the view we got whenever the curtains were opened: a multiple stories parking less than 2 meters away :(

Would I go back? Yes :)

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Linda C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Hourray,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and I am very happy that despite only spending a short time in your room that it scored high points on most of the features you look for in a room and you received great service from the front desk staff.

Our Deluxe rooms have a beautiful view over Hindmarsh Square and the Adelaide Hills so if you are in Adelaide again, please ask for this room type, I am confident you will love it.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Stayed a couple of nights for business at the Crowne in June and was very impressed by the service, the rooms are pretty good also. The general attitude of reception and concierge were friendly and helpful, many hotels just aren't quite there with the sincerity. Good location, balconies on some rooms, reasonable amenities, great job Crowne Plaza Adelaide.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Trippin_4Kicks,

Thank you for making the effort to share your experience from June and I am so pleased you were impressed by the friendly and helpful service, the team really does try and ensure our guests feel very welcome.

We would love to welcome you back!

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Welcomed with a smile at the taxi door, that friendly approach followed me from all staff throughout my stay. Excellent service. Terrific facilities which are well cleaned and maintained. Central location to the Adelaide CBD. A tremendous conference location, with sizable conference room and break-out rooms, conference WiFi and technology and accessible support. Worth considering for any professional conference or meeting.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Peter0457
Linda C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Dear Peter0457,

I don't think I could have summarized the hotel any better! I will absolutely share your feedback with the team as I believe it reflects entirely the effort they put in to ensure our guests have a great stay.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and I really do appreciate your kind words.

Have a lovely weekend and I hope we can welcome you back again.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

After staying in less than desirable hotel elsewhere in Adelaide, we switched to the Crowne Plaza. I sure do wish we had been here from the beginning.

The location is excellent, and everything you could want in Adelaide is in walking distance or a short tram/bus ride away.

The room was immaculate and well arranged. The bed was extremely comfortable, and while my partner had a problem with his pillow, it was his fault for not taking advantage of the pillow menu to get something else.

The fitness centre was one of the best I've seen in a hotel. We spent a whole morning there running, swimming laps and following it up with a sauna and spa visit.

Also, the staff was very friendly and helpful.

With this stay, I'll be gold in the ICG rewards program, and I'm glad this was the place where I went gold.

1  Thank Stephanie V

Dear Stephanie V,

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and it was here you turned Gold! Congratulations and thank you for your loyalty to IHG.

We are very lucky to have such a great location and everything you could want in Adelaide really is either walking distance or a short tram/bus ride away. I am really pleased you enjoyed your room and thank you for pointing out the pillow menu, we really are able to provide many choices and we are more than happy to do so either in advance or at the time of your stay.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Have a great weekend.